Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-10, 09:25 AM   #1
Trancelover

Default Direct X11 looks to be another failure(implementation wise)

Seeing E3 made me puke in disgust of the crap I saw. I am kinda disappointed how there weren't many PC games there

Not to mention it was ALL console centric. Although, E3 doesn't truly 100% reflect what we game in the next 12 months it gives a pretty good idea. I have my doubts whether Crysis will any different from DX10-DX11 despite them wanting to push the visual further.

Crytek will push the visuals but there the only company which will push it but only use a small percentage of DX11, seeing how they said the requirements will be lower.

So what do you think? Direct X11 is another failure? We still haven't seen a game that's solely programmed in DX11. No one seem to give a s*** about it.
Trancelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 09:40 AM   #2
JohnDio

Default Re: Direct X11 looks to be another failure(implementation wise)

You can still achieve amazing graphics with DX9 (yeah, i mean Crysis ). I don't see any reason for the devs to take full advantage of DX11. Tesselation is great BUT it will have major performance hit (as we've seen). So basically, DX11 won't really take off untill the next gen of GPU's. As it is right now, DX11 is a gimmick feature and nothing more!
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 10:13 AM   #3
Logical

There isn't enough equity for developers to produce full on DX11 games built from the ground up. It is consoles that are holding PC games back and im afraid untill we see the next gen consoles we will be stuck with DX9 esque games untill then. Once it is feasible for developers to produce better looking games (when the next gen consoles are out) then we will see better looking games on PC that make use of todays GPU's.

Conclusion: Absolutly pointless to upgrade GPU's every 6 months unless you want to increase your E-Peen.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 11:44 AM   #4
rudedog
Not so Rude

I stopped going to E3 in 2008 because of the lack of PC games being showcased.

I would like to thank the gaming industry for saving me a ton of money on PC hardware. Hell my QX6850 + 285 has held up well and I've spent 0$ in the past year , year and a half.

The $1500-$2000 I would spend every 6-10 months now goes to camera gear and other hobbies.

My apologies to Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ATI, water cooling and case companies for not spending my $$ with you anymore.... Hope you survive .
BDR-202|X-Fi Fatal1ty 2.07.0004|Logitec G7-setpoint 3.1.116|Ergodex DX1-firmware 1.1-driver1.3|Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD|PCPower and Cooling TurboCool 1000 SLI|Windows 7 Ultimate|Klipsch THX 5.1
Imac: Snow Leopard|27" screen|i7 2.93|12 GB|ATI HD 5750 1G|WD 1T SATA|2xWD 2T firewire 800|Sharing Dell 24"
Laptop: MBP|2.16|2GB ram|160drive
Laptop 2: MBP Unibody|2.66|4GB ram|320drive
Camera: D700 + MB-D10 + EN-EL3e + GP1|Nikon14-24 f2.8|nikon24-70 f2.8|nikon70-200 f2.8|nikon 50 f1.4|Sigma 150-500
Car: 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purl|6 Speed|Power roof|Super Track Pack|20" classic rims|Functional ram air hood
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 12:02 PM   #5
Redeemed

Part of my excitement with computers back in the day, was the intrigue of what each new generation of hardware brought to the technological table. I was intrigued at the performance each new generation brought, new implementations of AA, higher levels of AF, etc- there was so much development of new technologies that the industry was exciting.

Anymore, it is stale and old. The excitement and energy is no longer there. The interest is leaving. As are my dollars. Like Rudedog, I'm spending my money elsewhere. I'm running two 4 year old video cards and hardly a game can bring them to their knees. Crysis butchers them on very high with aa... that's about it (at least for games in my collection).

I do hope companies such as Crytek and Valve can keep pc gaming alive and well, and draw intrigue back to the platform. However, I doubt it. PC Gaming costs more than console gaming- so by gaming on the console consumer spend less money while devs make more.

Maybe the happy medium is where consoles and PCs essentially merge into one device. No more console specific gaming or PC specific gaming but one platform that essentially does it all.

Imagine if all you had to do was insert the game disc and start playing- but on your PC. Or with steam you just dl it once and off you go, no disc needed.

And imagine being able to use any controller you prefer- and it all actually work! And imagine being able to upgrade the hardware if you desire and have the funds to do so- but not NEEDING to?

That's probably what's going to happen- consoles and gaming PCs will become one and the same. There'd probably be some sacrifice of features on the strictly console side as well as the strictly PC side- but at least it'd be a happy medium.

For now, though... my money still goes elsewhere.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 12:18 PM   #6
|MaguS|

Developers are working with the lowest common denominator and guess what, its mainly PCs holding back the graphics not consoles. It's mainly the general public who doesn't spend $1K on a rig but goes to Best Buy and buys a $400 PC that the Geek Squad tells them can play games.

Developers aren't taking the time to do proper ports because the extra effort doesn't produce more sales on the PC Platform. Time and time again we see sales figures of multiplatform games just doing FAR better on consoles.

E3 was always primarly a console show, yes PC Games are shown but they never were the draw or a key aspect of the show.
Old 06-20-10, 12:27 PM   #7
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Developers are working with the lowest common denominator and guess what, its mainly PCs holding back the graphics not consoles. It's mainly the general public who doesn't spend $1K on a rig but goes to Best Buy and buys a $400 PC that the Geek Squad tells them can play games.

Developers aren't taking the time to do proper ports because the extra effort doesn't produce more sales on the PC Platform. Time and time again we see sales figures of multiplatform games just doing FAR better on consoles.

E3 was always primarly a console show, yes PC Games are shown but they never were the draw or a key aspect of the show.

I disagree considering that console exclusives also lack the visual quality im looking for in my PC games...thats the whole reason i won't purchase a console and play games on it, i would be pissing in the wind so to speak. That and i would be lost without Antialiasing. Of course games sell more on x360 you can purchase them brand new now for under 200 quid with about 5 games...kids wont ask mummy and daddy for a 1500 quid PC to play games on as they know they wont get it...well most of em dont...what they do get instead is a cheaper variant of a PC games machine...a console.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 12:31 PM   #8
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post

I disagree. I think it's a combination of the low end PCs and consoles.

Let's face it- compared to modern GPUs the R500 in the Xbox 360 and the G70 series GPU in the PS3 are *very* low end in comparison to a modern GPU. Neither can hold a candle to a GTX480 and HD5970.

However, saying that low end PCs alone are the sole cause of PC gaming being where it's at is absolutely false. Many low end GPUs can play modern games- albeit at significantly decreased settings but the games are playable none the less. Any modern low-end GPU from nVidia and ATi packs pretty decent punch compared to previous gen in the same price point- this is a no brainer.

What's hurting us isn't the low end GPUs from ATi and nVidia- it's the integrated Intel GPUs. Those are horrible for gaming. Yet they are the predominant integrated GPU.

Let's look at CPUs- any multi-core CPU in a computer now days is sufficient for gaming- I was playing Crysis on my tablet PC that sported a Turion64 X2 at 2.3Ghz and had an integrated Radeon HD3200 GPU in it. Graphics had to be nearly at their lowest but the game was 100% playable. That's a mobile CPU and integrated GPU that is several years old now. A low end CPU and integrated GPU from either nVidia or ATi is more than adequate for gaming if you don't mind sacrificing IQ. Spend a little bit more money and you can up the IQ substantially.

Anyhow- I guess my main point is that you're only partially right, Intel's integrated GPUs are garbage and they are hurting PC gaming- but so is consoles. BOTH have a part to play in this. Which one has more of a part or less I don't know, no body does I'd imagine.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-10, 02:27 PM   #9
Buio

DX11 will get a lot more support, because the huge adoption of Windows 7. Another factor is the huge number of DX11 ATI cards sold. It's just about time. The problem with DX10 was not the console business, it was so few gamers switched to Vista (which was a demand for DX10).

One factor that is negative is Microsoft and their commitment to XBox 360. They should push DX11 on PC more, but they are just releasing the software and then nothing else. No real marketing or pushing 3rd party companies to start use DX11. Microsoft commitment to PC gaming is laughingly bad.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 02:50 PM   #10
JasonPC

In my opinion low end PCs are ONLY the lowest common denominator in casual games like The Sims and some of the more popular MMORPGs. These tend to be in genres where graphics aren't as much the focus anyway. Games where graphics is one of the main selling points were never intended to be sold to casual gamers (on PCs at least), period.

Consoles are definitely holding back first person shooters in almost every way possible. However, there needs to be a change in attitude. I think Crytek has the right idea. Design for PC first and then scale it down for consoles. It seems like if they develop like that, their game engines will be prepared for future generations of consoles as well (it's pretty obvious that games were not taking full advantage of the xbox360 back when it first came out).

As far as DirectX 11 and its adoption rate, it shouldn't really be any surprise as it is basically just DirectX 10 take two. Most of what makes games look truly great can be accomplished through DirectX 9. The big selling point of DirectX 11 looks like tessellation, but it seems like there is a limit in how extensively it can be used considering the power of the hardware. From what I've seen, it doesn't make that big of a difference.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 04:25 PM   #11
Nitz Walsh

The thing is, those $400 PC's sold at Best Buy etc *can* actually be good gaming PC's, with the simple addition of a $70 graphics card they'll deliver a far better experience that the consoles (non-exclusive titles excluded of course). $500 is completely doable for a very good gaming PC, if you hunt you can even get a tri-core AMD system for that amount even without resorting to DIY.

The myth that you need to start at $1000 is exactly part of the problem. No, you don't. People are led to believe "Gaming PC's" are this boutique item because that's exactly how they've been marketed by short-sighted OEM's. Most people simply have no idea how cheap and powerful PC's have gotten in the past few years.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 05:40 PM   #12
mojoman0

but most people dont even know how to install a graphics card nor want to bother with learning how
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote