Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-19-10, 03:34 PM   #1
eyedrinkvenom

Default Mac card, Linux drivers, and upgrades

Hi

I'm buying a new card soon as I'm part of the beta team for a new high-end CG software. I use Mac hardware so I will be installing Linux (probably Kubuntu) on my Intel Mac, since that OS is supported by the software.

I wanted to make sure that there would be the appropriate driver support since I'm getting a card made for the Mac. Right now I use a Geforce 880 GT which seems to work fine in Mac, Windows 7, and Linux Mint. This card is not powerful enough to run the software.

The card I was looking at was the GeForce GTX 285 for Mac with 1GB VRAM. The only other choice would be the Mac Quadro card which is over $1,000 more. Are either of these cards supported in Kubuntu?

I also wanted to know if NVidia has an upgrade policy if I want to trade-in the GTX for a Quadro in the near future if I find that the GTX does not perform as needed.

Thanks
eyedrinkvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 01:18 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Mac card, Linux drivers, and upgrades

They ought to work, but I don't think we typically test Linux on Mac hardware, so you may want to contact Apple to confirm.

I don't believe there's a trade-in program for GeForces, since NVIDIA doesn't sell GeForce boards directly.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 03:11 PM   #3
eyedrinkvenom

Default Re: Mac card, Linux drivers, and upgrades

Hi Aaron

I was assuming they would since Linux Mint worked fine and there were drivers available. Just wanted to ask because there are so many different Linux builds and the cards are not cheap. Even though I could use the power for my day-to-day CG projects, I'm specifically upgrading to test this software.

I'll post something on Apple's forums and see if they have done any testing, and I will also try and reach an old contact at Apple that I used to work with when I beta tested servers for them years ago.

Thanks
eyedrinkvenom is offline   Reply With Quote