Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-10, 07:59 PM   #13
Nitz Walsh

Default Re: Direct X11 looks to be another failure(implementation wise)

Yes, and this is the problem of the open hardware market, there's no one to bring the hammer down on establishing standards. You see tons of systems with 6+ GB of ram, quad-core processors, and hapless graphics cards.

ATI/Nvidia (albeit far more Nvidia) have also not helped matters by making their product lineups incredibly fragmented and confusing. The average buyer who's not a gamer wouldn't know where to start, and chances are your BB schmoe will not be in a position to offer the best advice for price/performance.

One company could do this - have an actual advertising budget for PC gaming, a well-kept and prominent PC Gaming portal that educates consumers, etc. Of course I'm talking about MS, but they're mostly about the 360 these days so scratch that. I think it's rather foolish of them to abandon the PC as a gaming platform as much as they have though, as Sony learned just because you may have "won" the last generation of the console wars doesn't mean the next title is automatically bestowed upon you. Having at least a moderate PC gaming push is a good backup plan. It's especially clueless when you consider that Apple of all companies seems to be making a push for gaming, not only with the portable devices but Valve's recent debut on the Mac has Apple and ATI/Nvidia now pursuing more performant graphics drivers. If Apple deems its time to go for marketshare and release a headless xMac on of these days that comes with a decent GPU, and there's small but decent gaming library now on it - MS could be kicking themselves that they didn't play up PC gaming more instead of losing billions hand over fist on the Xbox project. Yeah, longshot - but there's really little risk for them to be making more of an effort here.

I'm just re-iterating that price isn't the problem of the PC, in fact it may be one of the least concerns.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 08:43 PM   #14
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

The PC has no publisher to present a PC-centered shocase at E3... Microsoft would be the only one and obviously they no longer care.

DX11 is getting some decent support though, more than DX10 got already I think.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 07:31 AM   #15
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

The stuff at e3 wasn't as bad as last year. At least there were a lot of PC mulitplatform games.

Dx11 is so far better than dx10 imo, both in support and results for gamers.
Old 06-21-10, 07:53 AM   #16
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Well there were a lot of PC games at E3, just none of them shown as PC versions.

Also there were many PC exclusives there like Shogun 2, The Witcher 2 and smaller indie games but none of them got any coverage on the mainstream sites because they cater to mainstream console gamers.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 06-21-10, 08:11 AM   #17
Trancelover

To add salt to the injury, Microsoft has further extended the lifecycle of the 360. This is just appalling.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=252703

How can one justify spending 600+ dollars on a GPU?

My guess is the only way they will force gamers is what they are doing now, being heavily ****ty optimized(splinter cell Conviction for example) and looking slightly better. I am glad I own SLi 8800gt not freaking upgrading buying into ATi's/Nvidia marketing bull.
Trancelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 08:17 AM   #18
Trancelover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
The stuff at e3 wasn't as bad as last year. At least there were a lot of PC mulitplatform games.

Dx11 is so far better than dx10 imo, both in support and results for gamers.
This is what's killing PC gaming.We have absolutely almost NO exclusive titles.
Old 06-21-10, 08:59 AM   #19
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancelover View Post
To add salt to the injury, Microsoft has further extended the lifecycle of the 360. This is just appalling.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=252703
Wow, they think they can ride the 360 five more years? I doubt it. Someone else will beat them to market with a new machine and slaughter them if they stick to that.

Old 06-21-10, 09:03 AM   #20
Vardant

Quote:
Napoleon: Total War
Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
Disciples III: Renaissance
Heroes of Newerth
Mount & Blade: Warband
Drakensang: The River of Time
All Points Bulletin
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
Black Mirror II
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Tactical Intervention
ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead
Natural Selection 2
rFactor 2
Wings of Prey
Silent Hunter V
Jumpgate Evolution
Just some of the PC exlusive titles for this year. Plus all the multiplatform AAA games with better graphics.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-10, 09:04 AM   #21
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Wow, they think they can ride the 360 five more years? I doubt it. Someone else will beat them to market with a new machine and slaughter them if they stick to that.
I expect new consoles announced in 2012. But like Sony with the ps1 and ps2 they will keep the current gen going since by then it will be cheap to make and provide decent revenue even with lower sales in comparison to the new platform.

I think we will see Sony come out first this time or really close to MS.
Old 06-21-10, 09:20 AM   #22
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I expect new consoles announced in 2012. But like Sony with the ps1 and ps2 they will keep the current gen going since by then it will be cheap to make and provide decent revenue even with lower sales in comparison to the new platform.

I think we will see Sony come out first this time or really close to MS.
Well I said that because he said something about "this generation" lasting 5 more years, rather than the 360. I hope you are right though.

Old 06-21-10, 09:54 AM   #23
Trancelover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
Just some of the PC exlusive titles for this year. Plus all the multiplatform AAA games with better graphics.
That list only has a handful of games that are supporting DX11 and by supporting I mean they only use 1% of DX11 its more sugar coated.

Also, I noticed how most of the games is either an RTS or a PO$ MMO. I never got the idea of MMOs they simply fail in my eye. The thought of pay per play a game with no storyline just feels boring and pointless and waste of money. I rather pay 50 dollars for a game than a subscription based crap. Plus the graphics for MMO are even worse than current generation consoles so I will avoid them for that reason too.
Old 06-21-10, 02:39 PM   #24
Buio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancelover View Post
That list only has a handful of games that are supporting DX11 and by supporting I mean they only use 1% of DX11 its more sugar coated.
You sort of forgot that it was a reply to your previous post about what is killing PC gaming. It doesn't need to have DX11 support to be exclusive now does it?
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote