Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-24-10, 08:56 PM   #25
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: ** iPhone 4 mini-review **

Any gaming performance review? Iphones have lots of nice 3D games right? Any compartive numbers? The GPU in iphone 4 is supposed to be powerVR SGX 545? Rivaling DSi and PSPs to GPU power 40Mill tris and 1G pixels fillrate @250MHz? And a lot better than the SGX 535 in iPhone3GS etc
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 09:33 PM   #26
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
Any gaming performance review? Iphones have lots of nice 3D games right? Any compartive numbers? The GPU in iphone 4 is supposed to be powerVR SGX 545? Rivaling DSi and PSPs to GPU power 40Mill tris and 1G pixels fillrate @250MHz? And a lot better than the SGX 535 in iPhone3GS etc
The only game I have been playing regularly is Super Monkey Ball and a Baseball game.

Both of them have MUCH better performance with the ip4 compared to the older 3G.

The performance is likely down to the superior processor, more memory and better gpu all combined.

Btw, I was on a call all the way from my work place, through central Austin all the way back home, about 45 minute call, no drops, no issues whatsoever. My old phone likely would have crapped out a couple of times already.

All done hands-free so no touching of the antennae.

I called the Apple store and they are out of their rubber-band like cases

I don't really want to get a case for this phone but I think I might have to.

I feel like half the people in the department I work with swung by my desk to check out my phone. One of my colleagues noticed it propped up on my keyboard (if you run the charging cable through one of the slots on the G-15 gaming keyboard, and seat your phone just so, it looks like it is docked to the keyboard and it is held up pretty sturdily) and told a bunch of other people.

There is a definite buzz about the phone.

BTW, my friend with the Evo came by and while the speed and overall fit and finish is superior to his phone, he was able to load up identical YouTube videos much faster on his phone and in HD compared to mine. ip4 does need a YouTube HD update I think, although it might just be AT&T blocking it.

Video playback is phenomenal and the ipod headphones with playback controls can control Pandora if it is the active media player on the phone. I am liking some of the features of iOS4 more and more. It doesn't do as much as other OS's, but what it does do, it does with a nice and very polished feel.

Multi-tasking is a total crap-shoot at this point. Some apps have not been re-compiled for iOS4 and just don't work correctly. Orb has been very iffy indeed
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 09:38 PM   #27
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbrushkid View Post
Yeah really not many Droids out there yet. I can say where I live the people with Droids have many problems with them. I'll stay with my iPhone 3G soon to be iPhone 4. And don't ever have a problem with At&t.
I work with 8 people in my immediate vicinity, 2 of us use iPhones, 5 use android devices and one uses some other random phone that I can't pinpoint.

My floor has a lot more iPhones but over the past year a LOT of users of iPhones have switched to Android.

Again, this is anecdotal evidence, but I have seen the number of blackberries dropping and the number of droid based phones going up while not too many newbies are converting to iPhones. I think a large number of users are previous iPhone users (such as myself) who decided it was worth the trouble to stick with the product for the current generation.

With Froyo and SenseUI and dual-core procs coming out, I expect competition to be a lot stiffer next year, especially with WinMo 7 in the mix.

Apple REALLY needs widgets to keep up with the competition and they REALLY need an app like Google's navigation app to find some parity. Nothing on the market compares to Google's nav app. Flash, I can live without it, barely, for right now, but I am getting close to my breaking point.

-edit-

A few pictures I took with my 3G over the weekend.

Edited using iMovie on my iPhone4 and posted to YouTube using my iPhone4.

Can't wait to start posting videos of my nephew for my parents to watch.

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 07:14 AM   #28
Bearclaw

My buddy was in line yesterday and got one. I'll be in the office in a few minutes and I'm excited to have the two phones (I still have the 3GS) side by side for comparison. I heard once you see the retina display, you can't go back.
Old 06-25-10, 03:58 PM   #29
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Please tell me where your facts come from.

http://blog.flurry.com/bid/31410/Day...Motorola-Droid

And every person I have met with an iPhone drops calls all the time, and I live in the middle of Boston, so it's not like it's a remote location.
That chart is probably the biggest crock I've ever seen. There have been a million+ iphones sold in NYC alone. It's not even close.

edit:

lol yeah, you have to read the fine print. They are looking at sales of the iPhone 1G. Look at the combined total sales of iPhone vs Droid. It's a landslide.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 04:15 PM   #30
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
That chart is probably the biggest crock I've ever seen. There have been a million+ iphones sold in NYC alone. It's not even close.

edit:

lol yeah, you have to read the fine print. They are looking at sales of the iPhone 1G. Look at the combined total sales of iPhone vs Droid. It's a landslide.
These are the first 74 days of each phone. Also I think it's just the Droid, not the Android OS.

Let's compare Android OS vs. iOS

http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_100510.html

Quote:
PORT WASHINGTON, NEW YORK, MAY 10, 2010 - The Android operating system (OS) continued to shake up the U.S. mobile phone market in the first quarter (Q1) of 2010, moving past Apple to take the number-two position among smartphone operating systems, according to The NPD Group, a leading market research company. NPD’s wireless market research reveals that based on unit sales to consumers last quarter the Android operating system moved into second position at 28 percent behind RIM’s OS (36 percent) and ahead of Apple’s OS (21 percent).

“As in the past, carrier distribution and promotion have played a crucial role in determining smartphone market share,” said Ross Rubin, executive director of industry analysis for NPD. “In order to compete with the iPhone, Verizon Wireless has expanded its buy-one-get-one offer beyond RIM devices to now include all of their smartphones.”

Strong sales of the Droid, Droid Eris, and Blackberry Curve via these promotions helped keep Verizon Wireless’s smartphone sales on par with AT&T in Q1. According to NPD’s Mobile Phone Track, smartphone sales at AT&T comprised nearly a third of the entire smartphone market (32 percent), followed by Verizon Wireless (30 percent), T-Mobile (17 percent) and Sprint (15 percent).

“Recent previews of BlackBerry 6, the recently announced acquisition of Palm by HP, and the pending release of Windows Phone 7 demonstrates the industry’s willingness to make investments to address consumer demand for smartphones and other mobile devices,” Rubin said. “Carriers continue to offer attractive pricing for devices, but will need to present other data-plan options to attract more customers in the future.”

The continued popularity of messaging phones and smartphones resulted in slightly higher prices for all mobile phones, despite an overall drop in the number of mobile phones purchased in the first quarter. The average selling price for all mobile phones in Q1 reached $88, which is a 5 percent increase from Q1 2009. Smartphone unit prices, by comparison, averaged $151 in Q1 2010, which is a 3 percent decrease over the previous year.

Methodology: The NPD Group compiles and analyzes mobile device sales data based on more than 150,000 completed online consumer research surveys each month. Surveys are based on a nationally balanced and demographically-representative sample, and results are projected to represent the entire population of U.S. consumers. Note: Sales figures do not include corporate/enterprise mobile phone sales.
So there are more Android phones than iPhones. And I am sure you have personally seen over a million iPhones...

You sound like the typical Apple user.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 04:25 PM   #31
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
These are the first 74 days of each phone. Also I think it's just the Droid, not the Android OS.

Let's compare Android OS vs. iOS

http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_100510.html

So there are more Android phones than iPhones. And I am sure you have personally seen over a million iPhones...

You sound like the typical Apple user.
i personally can't wait for some apple sheep to post the neilson numbers that steve jobs had at the wwdc....

come on, give me an opportunity to explain what's inherently wrong with cold calling land lines about mobile phone usage. freaking apple tards, they pump so much **** without telling customers that the smallest percentage of it is actually true.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 05:47 PM   #32
betterdan

@ Zelda

Of course there are more Android phones out there, there are more versions and more carriers with them than the iphone. Who gives a damn how many there are of what anyways? Having sold more of something doesn't make it automatically better. Titanic was a big blockbuster movie but it sucked more ass than a wet vac attached to Oprah's ass. Just get what you like.

Old 06-25-10, 06:03 PM   #33
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
@ Zelda

Of course there are more Android phones out there, there are more versions and more carriers with them than the iphone. Who gives a damn how many there are of what anyways? Having sold more of something doesn't make it automatically better. Titanic was a big blockbuster movie but it sucked more ass than a wet vac attached to Oprah's ass. Just get what you like.
Old 06-25-10, 06:48 PM   #34
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
@ Zelda

But he has literally seen over 1 MILLION of them (personally I might add) in NYC alone. So I apologize for my incorrect facks.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 07:46 PM   #35
betterdan

Oh, well if he has actually seen over 1 million of them then obviously he is the internet winner. Does that make Titanic any better though?
Old 06-25-10, 11:39 PM   #36
Airbrushkid

You guys are whacked in the head. Zelda_Fan didn't say he personally saw a million iPhones.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is online now   Reply With Quote