Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-24-10, 09:07 AM   #1
xazero

Exclamation Need help!!!!

hi all, and thank you for even bother reading my post.

i while ago i started this thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151554 but no one could help me there (and i got frustrated ) so i decided to start from the beginning.

so here i am, but now im running a fresh install of kubuntu lucid using the nvidia driver from the ubuntu repos (195.36.24) kde 4.4.4 and i have NOT modified any of the configuration files (.nvidia-settngs-rc, xorg.conf kwinrc etc) so this is a typical kubuntu lucid installation.

the problem is that the performance of kwin using opengl for compositing is even worse than xrender.

please i dont play 3d games and i dont care about fancy effects like the cube or the snow thing but i cant live without the magnifier, the percent windows and without the general smoothness compositing provides.

setting powermizer to prefer maximum performance does help a bit but is still not perfect and IMHO that is not a solution, is just making the gpu run hotter and hiding the real problem behind a veil of gpu power (my brother's 3 year old intel gpu (doesnt even support shaders ) runs kde as smooth as freaking butter).

this is happening in both of my computers (macbook pro 5,5 hp mini 311 ion) both of them share the same GPU, the 9400m

if you need anything else just ask.
any help is welcome.

LET THE DISCUSSION START!!!1!
xazero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 05:52 PM   #2
xazero

Default Re: Need help!!!!

no one? please i cant use lnux like this! i get a lot of tearing and minimizing the windows is slow!
Old 06-24-10, 08:44 PM   #3
xazero

im gonna make sure i buy intel next time
you nvidia bastards
Old 06-25-10, 12:36 PM   #4
artem

Intel drivers suck, trust me.

Quote:
Ive been experiencing tearing (whole screen not only xv), when composite is enabled and the nvidia drivers installed, even if i have vsync turned on .
Maybe it's time to give up with these fancy effects which add nothing to productivity of your work?
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 02:42 AM   #5
xazero

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Intel drivers suck, trust me.

Maybe it's time to give up with these fancy effects which add nothing to productivity of your work?
yea i guess you're right...
i dont need those fancy effects.
i just hate that nvidia doesn't give a damn about KDE (and other things like randr 1.2 or kms).

thanks for at least answering me.. i hate just being ignored.
Old 06-26-10, 05:05 AM   #6
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by xazero View Post
Maybe just having "Need help!!!" as a topic, ignoring the stickies that tell you how to report bugs and calling other people "bastards" helps other people to ignore you.

Just a guess, though.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 05:12 PM   #7
AireTamStrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xazero View Post
You didn't even wait a day for a response, I'm usually content with three days-a week before I *bump* my issues.

Also, "PLEASE HELP!@!!!@!@#!@!#$!#!#@" does not work for you, it works against you. Use a real description, and try to assist the forum members in aiding you. By complaining you're just preventing people from being able to help you.

To get to your issue, there are several possible causes for this, they're not necessarily NVIDIA's fault, and most of the time (whew!) there is a workaround.

-Do you have render-accel enabled in your Xorg configuration?
-What version of the driver you're using? Are you using nouveau or nvidia?
-Did you read the post showing you how to ask for help? Where is your bug report?
AireTamStrm is offline   Reply With Quote