Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-25-10, 04:15 PM   #49
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: Is there a really big difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
it just proves that he is full of ****, hopefully more people won't get tricked by it
Nekro do me a favor and go tell all these people with the BF BC2 stutter they are all full of ****.

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/71...ing-issue.html
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/423863.page

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 04:53 PM   #50
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Nekro do me a favor and go tell all these people with the BF BC2 stutter they are all full of ****.

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/71...ing-issue.html
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/423863.page

They are as far as it being a 480 problem because if it were, we would all have it, that's just a scientific deduction.

It could be many things that are causing it in your case but acting as if everyone has this problem (which you have been doing) and blaming it on the 480 when others with 480s are not experiencing the problem are both steps in the wrong direction AFAIAC.

I'll stick to my original suggestion, get rid of your 480 if you're not happy with it. This thread really needs to be locked at this point. It is a fountain of misinformation.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 04:58 PM   #51
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
They are as far as it being a 480 problem because if it were, we would all have it, that's just a scientific deduction.

It could be many things that are causing it in your case but acting as if everyone has this problem (which you have been doing) and blaming it on the 480 when others with 480s are not experiencing the problem are both steps in the wrong direction AFAIAC.

I'll stick to my original suggestion, get rid of your 480 if you're not happy with it. This thread really needs to be locked at this point. It is a fountain of misinformation.
No, I just want to see Nekro go into a thread where alot of people are having the same problem and tell them they are all full of ****. That is all.

Quote:
Old 06-25-10, 05:09 PM   #52
Slytat

Quote:
No, I just want to see Nekro go into a thread where alot of people are having the same problem and tell them they are all full of ****. That is all.
I'm not saying you don't have a problem, I just doubt it's the 480 that is to blame for it tbh.

Good luck getting sorted if you decide to keep your 480
Old 06-25-10, 06:36 PM   #53
Muppet

Quote:
someone on the nvidia forums with the same thing described it saying "its like every 3 seconds someone quickly hits pause." Thats exactly what I see.
I have never had that at all. Something is wrong somewhere if that is what is happening. It is not what the majority of us have.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 07:49 PM   #54
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
I have never had that at all. Something is wrong somewhere if that is what is happening. It is not what the majority of us have.
I know and I'm not trying to argue about it anymore I just want to fix it already. The post to the thread a few up (ragging on nekro) were other threads where a bunch of people are having the same problem. I bought a HD5870 this week and installed it. I dont get any of the stutter from it in DX10 or DX11. I haven't changed anything in the machine, just swapped GPUs back and forth about 10 times now. The issue with the HD5870 is that smoke in BF BC2 drop the framerates to 30s or so which my GTX 480 doesn't do, obviously the GTX 480 benchmarks faster, its faster, its just not smoother in BF BC2. The cause may not be the video card, but it may be a driver conflict with something else in the PC. I get that, I'm just tired of troubleshooting it to figure out what it is.

So far I've tried -
- PCI sound card (w/ 2 different driver versions)
- Onboard sound card (w/ 4 different driver versions)
- PCI gigabit NIC (w/ 3 different driver versions)
- Onboard NIC (w/ 3 different driver versions)
- reinstalled OS and game to other HDs (2)
- OS reinstalls (3 or 4 now)
- disabled all background software and non critical services
- changed settings to stock (CPU)
- another kit of ram
- another keyboard (ps2 and USB)
- another mouse (ps2 and USB)
- change multimedia class registry setting
- lowered ram speed
- changed sound settings (44k, 16bit, 24bit, etc)
- disabled windows search and restore
- installed 197.45 and installed every nvidia driver through 257.21 to see if any worked better
- 3 different motherboard bioses

...and after all that changing the GPU out with the HD5870 is the only thing that makes that damn game play smoothly... I've put way to much time and money into trying to sort this. I need a break.

Quote:
Old 06-25-10, 08:44 PM   #55
Muppet

Quote:
I know and I'm not trying to argue about it anymore I just want to fix it already. The post to the thread a few up (ragging on nekro) were other threads where a bunch of people are having the same problem. I bought a HD5870 this week and installed it. I dont get any of the stutter from it in DX10 or DX11. I haven't changed anything in the machine, just swapped GPUs back and forth about 10 times now. The issue with the HD5870 is that smoke in BF BC2 drop the framerates to 30s or so which my GTX 480 doesn't do, obviously the GTX 480 benchmarks faster, its faster, its just not smoother in BF BC2. The cause may not be the video card, but it may be a driver conflict with something else in the PC. I get that, I'm just tired of troubleshooting it to figure out what it is.

So far I've tried -
- PCI sound card (w/ 2 different driver versions)
- Onboard sound card (w/ 4 different driver versions)
- PCI gigabit NIC (w/ 3 different driver versions)
- Onboard NIC (w/ 3 different driver versions)
- reinstalled OS and game to other HDs (2)
- OS reinstalls (3 or 4 now)
- disabled all background software and non critical services
- changed settings to stock (CPU)
- another kit of ram
- another keyboard (ps2 and USB)
- another mouse (ps2 and USB)
- change multimedia class registry setting
- lowered ram speed
- changed sound settings (44k, 16bit, 24bit, etc)
- disabled windows search and restore
- installed 197.45 and installed every nvidia driver through 257.21 to see if any worked better
- 3 different motherboard bioses

...and after all that changing the GPU out with the HD5870 is the only thing that makes that damn game play smoothly... I've put way to much time and money into trying to sort this. I need a break.
Wow, it does look as if you have gone to extremes to sort this out.

Just one question, does it do it in single player or is it just multiplayer.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 08:48 PM   #56
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Wow, it does look as if you have gone to extremes to sort this out.

Just one question, does it do it in single player or is it just multiplayer.
Seems to be both. MP its much more noticable though. In SP its not constant.

Quote:

Old 06-26-10, 05:55 AM   #57
Slytat

Quote:
Seems to be both. MP its much more noticable though. In SP its not constant.
Are you using Afterburner by any chance? If you are and you are using 'user control', that will often cause stuttering at the default polling rate of 5000. Increasing it to 15K usually clears that up.
Old 06-26-10, 08:59 AM   #58
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
Are you using Afterburner by any chance? If you are and you are using 'user control', that will often cause stuttering at the default polling rate of 5000. Increasing it to 15K usually clears that up.
its not even installed right now. I did one final thing someone else found fixed this with his GTX 470. reinstalled Vista. I havent gotten everything else installed yet, just the OS then went to bed. I'll let you know if that fixes it for me.

EDIT - Vista didn't fix it, it was even worse. Back to Win7.

Quote:
Old 06-26-10, 09:06 AM   #59
john19055

A lot of things can cause pauseing or hitching ,like tempertures ultilities or things that read the Frames per second or just haveing your card overclocked.And it has always been the case that some games just run better on ATI hardware and other games just run better on nvidia cards.I wish the GTX 480 would come down in price ,I would like to put together a machine with a GTX 480 and just see how it runs for my self.I may try a GTX 470 and overclock it.I know I want get a GTX 465 because they are just cut down to far.I know how my HD5870's are doing and so far I have not had any problems with any of the games that I play.But when I had my TRI GTX 280 system ,I did not have any problems with it besides some games just like one card better, but that it the case with any SLI or cross-fire system.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote