Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-28-02, 10:35 PM   #13
Locklear93

Blah, then they think wrong. Provided the hardware manufacturer does a decent job, compiling a module to drive a piece of hardware is usually EASIER (in my experience) than compiling a program from a CVS tree or the like. Hell, in my first six months of Linux use, a few years back, I was able to compile a module to drive a Realtek ethernet card, back before that hardware was supported by Slackware (which I was using at the time). If a TOTAL Linux newbie (I'm now an experienced idiot...) can do it, they ought not consider it too hard. Nonetheless, thanks again for the help and the info. I've now got the UT demo working nicely in Linux, except for messy sound, which they blame on ALSA and suggest I use SDL for sound. Not that they tell me how, but neither this thread nor this forum is about sound concerns.
Locklear93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-02, 11:23 PM   #14
mtrr

Send a message via ICQ to mtrr

this should do the trick for sdl-sound:

echo -n "(define devices '(sdl))" ~/.openalrc

cheers

btw: /me never uses a prebuild kernel,
sometimes not even for bootstrapping a machine.
and _no_ chip is worse than rtl81x, fscked
design, look in the etherboot driver source
mtrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-02, 01:29 AM   #15
Locklear93

Thanks! I'll give that a try in the morning, when the sound won't get me shot by my wife, instead of the UT2k3 bots.

As for not using a pre-built kernel, I'd build my own if I were competant to do so, but until I have a spare partition to set up a seperate boot that I can play with, it's not worth the effort to me. And I'm no longer using the Realtek ethernet card--it was a cheap POS my father was willing to shell out for before I went to college.

Current project: Codecs for mplayer... that's what I love about Linux--always something to learn.
Old 09-29-02, 05:25 AM   #16
flanger

Quote:
Originally posted by treinar
The kernel-source rpm is found on the 3rd download ISO. if you do urpmi -ivh kernel-source..blabla.rpm, then you see that libncurses-develop-something.rpm is needed too. You find it on CD #2. After the kernel-source was installed, the NVIDIA-kernel-rpm built just fine. So it works great!

Thanks a lot for your help!
Alright, the kernel source did seem to built fine (no error messages), but when i do rpm -i /home/lieven/Desktop/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm
it gives me this error message:

error: failed dependencies:
NVIDIA_kernel is needed by NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123

i installed the kernel-source and libncurses correctly

Anyone that can help?
Old 09-29-02, 07:47 AM   #17
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by flanger
Did you also install the NVIDIA_kernel RPM, before the NVIDIA_GLX one? If you installed the nVidia kernel package from .tar.gz rather than RPM, then you have to install the GLX from source as well. If you haven't installed it at all, do it.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-02, 01:49 PM   #18
treinar

Quote:
Alright, the kernel source did seem to built fine (no error messages), but when i do rpm -i /home/lieven/Desktop/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm it gives me this error message:

error: failed dependencies:
NVIDIA_kernel is needed by NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123

Anyone that can help?
After the kernel source and libncurses is installed, you must do four things:
1. rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
2. Check for output from that command, look after "Wrote [somepath]/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123[something].rpm"
3. rpm -ivh [somepath]/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123[something].rpm
4. rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm

Hope this helps
treinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-02, 01:52 PM   #19
SubTexel

Send a message via AIM to SubTexel
Default Here....Posted it in the Thread for binary installs...

Ok for those of you who do wish to install the nvidia drivers using the SOURCE rpms heres what you do:

First you need rpmbuild installed, as well as your kernel source files...If not, it wont work (most all distros come with rpmbuild installed already, so you shouldnt have to worry about that one..) If you dont have the kernel source files install them (located on your distro's cd somewhere

Ok, download the source files (glx, and kernel) This part is a no brainer.

1: Load up (place your choice of terminal here) and log in as root (su root) if you arent already.

2: Go to the directory where you downloaded the files and type:

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA*

Now this will save the files to /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/ so you'll need to change to that directory to install the compiled sources.

3: Once in /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/
(note: It might also save them in a different directory under /RPMS/ eg:Athlon, i486, i686 etc.. depending on your processor)

Type the following:

rpm -ivh NVIDIA*

If you get an errror saying that they are already installed type the following:

rpm -ivh --replacepkgs NVIDIA*

and watch it install...

4: Next you need to modify your XF86Config-4 file... Change to /etc/X11/ and either pico (or emacs) XF86Config-4 and put these in:

Find the Modules Section:
and type Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"
You can also do as the other people have posted and put

Load "glx"
But I perfer putting the whole path as to avoid any problems.

Next go to the "Drivers" part of the file and replace whatever is in the Driver section and put "nvidia"

5: Now you can run either gdm (if you have GNOME) or startx (if in command line mode, wouldnt do it if your still in X hehe, just a little warning...)

And enjoy!

Now for those people who have the enterprise kernel you need to recompile the sources.. and then run
rpm -ivh --replacepkgs NVIDIA* command to reinstall the new packages for your enterprise kernel.
SubTexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-02, 02:05 PM   #20
Locklear93

Actually, it seems to work just fine with rpm's --rebuild argument. Didn't need rpmbuild here.

Old 09-30-02, 03:15 PM   #21
SubTexel

Send a message via AIM to SubTexel

Yeah, either way will work...
SubTexel is offline   Reply With Quote