Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-07-10, 09:12 PM   #1
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default iPhone Bumper Case - Things to know

I just received my case today (it took over TWO weeks for it to arrive after the initial order).

A few things to note.

Pros

Fit and finish are awesome. The case is indeed a looker. Protection for sides is excellent, but the top/bottom are exposed so drop on un-even surfaces or edges at your own convenience.

There is not much added bulk or weight to the phone so it retains it's overall fit/finish, although you can no longer see the metal sides. I personally liked the look of that

The top and volume buttons are very well handled. The buttons on the case are themselves metal and feel just as clicky.

There is hardly any give on the bumper so like I said, fit/finish is pretty nice.

Con's

Well, first of all, this thing is NOT worth $29 bucks. I am currently waiting for my notification on when the Element Vapor comes out.

http://www.elementcase.com/iphone4.html

This is worth MAYBE 5 or 10 bucks. I am hoping the Element or the Loop comes out soon so I can return this thing.

While the fit and finish is pretty awesome, there IS a little give when you squeeze the phone real tight.

Now, here is my BIGGEST pet peeve. The issue is that the cut-out for the connector at the bottom fits only a few devices. Fortunately my car-dock works perfectly, but my cables at home, only 1 fits (I have 1 in the bedroom, 1 connected to my main system and 1 in the living room which was part of my car-kit, also have 1 at work but that fits).

The cutout appears to only fit Apple branded cables and that is absolute CRAP. A mm or so more on each side would make this almost universally accepting but it seems there is some shrewd marketing employed here.

I am very tempted to grab a drill and just slot out the hole a little more. Absolutely pathetic design decision by Apple given that they are already gouging customer's on this thing as a result of the whole death-grip crap.

Bolded for emphasis.

Bottom-line, will be fine as a temporary case but not worth it and there are far better cases out there.

-edit-

Update to my little thingamejigger.

I RMA'd the "case" a day or so after acquisition.

It sucks, nothing works with it unless it is specifically Apple branded, even if it is an Apple licensed, Apple store bought product, which means you HAVE to buy new power connectors and many car-docks will no longer work. If you use it in your office for music streaming purposes, your speakers headphone connector will likely not work unless you go out there and purchase an adapter.

Essentially, it turns this already RIDICULOUSLY priced "case" from $29 bucks to $50-60 or more and adds far more trips to stores and essentially makes obsolete a lot of perfectly working components you may already have. My car dock was about $70 and it works fine. I am not going to off-load it.

**** you Apple and **** your stupid piece of **** case. You can take it and shove it up your ass.

Last edited by Sazar; 07-10-10 at 12:45 PM.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 01:35 AM   #2
nrdstrm

Default Re: iPhone Bumper Case - Things to know

Or you could have just bought a Lance Armstrong rubber bracelet. Apparently, it fits perfectly other than a few notches that need to be cut with an exacto knife...But, if people want to spend $30 for something that Apple should give away for free (is it a coincidence that this is the first case/bumper Apple has ever put out? I think not...), then go for it...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 02:08 AM   #3
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

http://fusionofideas.com/stealtharmor-iphone4.html ?

Another alternative via Fudzilla
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 12:10 PM   #4
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm View Post
Or you could have just bought a Lance Armstrong rubber bracelet. Apparently, it fits perfectly other than a few notches that need to be cut with an exacto knife...But, if people want to spend $30 for something that Apple should give away for free (is it a coincidence that this is the first case/bumper Apple has ever put out? I think not...), then go for it...
No, the bracelet does not work.

The bracelet provides no cover for the edges and barely even covers the sides of the phone. It is entirely useless.

At least the bumper does provide edge protection.

I also found out today that my phone with the bumper is still thinner than the old 3G/3Gs.

Still not worth the money.
Old 07-08-10, 12:11 PM   #5
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
http://fusionofideas.com/stealtharmor-iphone4.html ?

Another alternative via Fudzilla
That's another useless alternative unfortunately.

The most vulnerable angle of attack on the glass is from the side and on the edges and therefore you do need edge protection. I don't think a simple sticker on the back will do anything but protect from scratches.
Old 07-08-10, 12:41 PM   #6
Airbrushkid

Here's one. It's called Vapor and is metal but costly, $79.95

http://www.elementcase.com/

Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 01:00 PM   #7
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbrushkid View Post

See middle of my post

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...63&postcount=1

I am very interested to see what the silver, or the black/silver case will look like

I do NOT like the massive writing but the concept is awesome. And I would probably get that with the carbon-fiber weave backing I have already checked in on a pre-order for the black/silver combo (it's $99 with the backing).
Old 07-08-10, 01:05 PM   #8
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbrushkid View Post

That thing is not only ugly, but it's freaking ridiculous to pay that amount of money for a phone casing.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-10, 01:09 PM   #9
Airbrushkid

I'm wondering how it is going to be with the antenna's since it's metal.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 04:45 PM   #10
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
That thing is not only ugly, but it's freaking ridiculous to pay that amount of money for a phone casing.
It's air-craft grade metal. Given that you normally purchase 2-3 cases (or not, depending on the person, I did for my previous phone) some would consider a single case with that price to be worth it if it metal instead of plastic or rubber or whatever else.
Old 07-08-10, 04:48 PM   #11
betterdan

I don't think it's ugly at all but that price is more ridiculous then g-a-m-e's short shorts... well almost.
Old 07-08-10, 06:55 PM   #12
Bearclaw

Eh. Never used cases for my phones. I like the 'naked' look.

If I get the iPhone4 I will definitely find something as its glass and shatters pretty easily. Dumb decision to make it glass, IMO.

Also, the fact that Apple is charging 30 bucks or the bumper case is sickening.