Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-29-10, 11:54 AM   #1
Smee

Default What 60 inch TV would you buy? (3k or less)

My Samsung DLP croaked..
I want a 60 inch or larger, I watch very little TV (Save for Football season) So good response time is a must for sports i assume. I would also like the internet gadget thing the newer ones seem to come with.

I'm leaning towards Plasma, but I hear they are way the hell hotter, and use a lot more energy.

Throw me some suggestions if you can.. I'm not stuck firm on the price, but I really don't watch enough TV to justify $5-6k or more.. That and my last 3 sets have all died within a year or so out of warranty (all DLP's) 2 Mitsubishi's and most recently my $3,800 Samsung
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 01:29 PM   #2
betterdan

Default Re: What 60 inch TV would you buy? (3k or less)

What was wrong with your sets? Are you sure you just didn't need a bulb replaced or something? I find it odd you have had that many DLP sets go bad so soon.
I've been trucking along on the same Mitsubishi DLP tv for about 4 years now I believe but I have had to replace the bulb 3 times too.
Old 06-29-10, 03:52 PM   #3
Smee

Definitely not the bulbs, The first Mitsubishi had a power supply failure ($800 repair/replace cost), it was a set that I had a custom wall mount Entertainment unit built around, so I had to get the same one.. the second one was a floor model of the same unit.. It had a complete processor failure.

The Samsung is a interesting story, about a year into owning it, it developed a black vertical stripe on the left hand side (about 3 inches wide.. It was under Warranty at the time, but the BS warranty company (third party) claimed the replacement of the processor and the labor exceeded the value of the set, So they sent me a prorated check (about $2200) and told me I could keep the set, The stripe wasn't so bad that I couldn't deal with it, So I just kept it another year or so, until it completely died.

I remember reading a while back, that the processors in a lot of these DLP's were made by Texas instruments, some were good, quite a few were horrible and crapped out prematurely (usually right after Warranty) Not sure who was making Mitsubishi's procs.
Old 06-29-10, 04:43 PM   #4
betterdan

Hmm that's odd you had so much trouble.
I believe all DLP processors are made by TI.
Old 07-13-10, 11:10 PM   #5
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

I don't know about recommending a 60" to buy but I can recommend one not to buy... those new Sharp Aquos Quattrons. The demo they play in the store looks great showing off all those pretty yellow colors and on sale @ $2200 I almost opted for that over my 55" Samsung.

After seeing one all set up and running BD movies I'm so glad I didn't buy one. Even with calibration the skin tones just look messed up.

On sale from $1899 down to $1499 I'm super happy with the 55" Samsung 630 even if it is a bit smaller than the 60" Sharp.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 11:52 PM   #6
Smee

I ordered this.. I saw it at Best Buy, then noticed they had it here as a bundle: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XyMIJ6n...PN63C8000.html

On back order till the 23rd. Can't wait.
Old 07-14-10, 08:37 PM   #7
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
I ordered this.. I saw it at Best Buy, then noticed they had it here as a bundle: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XyMIJ6n...PN63C8000.html

On back order till the 23rd. Can't wait.
I have a Samsung 50 inch plasma,bought it on sale 3 weeks ago for around 1100 $ Awesome value for money but plasmas do generate a fair bit of heat.I'm really happy about the picture quality.Planned to get their new 55 inch 3D Led model but thats over 4k here,this is good enough for me.I thought this was a monster but that 63 inch screen youre getting looks to be amazing,enjoy

Samsung PS50B535

Old 07-17-10, 03:16 PM   #8
enoteware
Just Basically Awesome

Panasonic Plasmas for sure. Make sure you get a V series as they have the 96hz mode which is best for displaying 24p film content.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P...9397589&sr=8-1

I have last years g10 model and it's the great with games, no lag whatsoever and no ghosting. The black levels and color accuracy cant be beat.

TV/Media Center - Panasonic TCP-54G25 Plasma, Pioneer 1021-K Receiver. Klipsch speakers that are too loud for my place. Xbox 360 - PS3 - Apple TV

Facebook
enoteware is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-10, 03:01 AM   #9
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
My Samsung DLP croaked..
I want a 60 inch or larger, I watch very little TV (Save for Football season) So good response time is a must for sports i assume. I would also like the internet gadget thing the newer ones seem to come with.

I'm leaning towards Plasma, but I hear they are way the hell hotter, and use a lot more energy.

Throw me some suggestions if you can.. I'm not stuck firm on the price, but I really don't watch enough TV to justify $5-6k or more.. That and my last 3 sets have all died within a year or so out of warranty (all DLP's) 2 Mitsubishi's and most recently my $3,800 Samsung
The answer to this depends HEAVILY on your intended usage and preferences. Will it be used for gaming? Do you want to save on your electrical bill and/or live in a southern area where your room tends to get hot in the summer? How much sports do you watch? Will it be connected to a PC? Will you mostly watch movies/TV in a room that gets lots of sunlight, or will it be dimly lit?

Based on the little bit of information you've given so far, I'd lean towards the Samsung UN60C6300:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9904845

Though if you *really* want the internet functions embedded into the TV itself, try finding a C6500 series rather than C6300. Although Samsung indicates the model exists, I can't find any retailers that carry a 60" C6500, but best buy carries a 65" C6500 for $4k.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 03:21 AM   #10
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
I don't know about recommending a 60" to buy but I can recommend one not to buy... those new Sharp Aquos Quattrons. The demo they play in the store looks great showing off all those pretty yellow colors and on sale @ $2200 I almost opted for that over my 55" Samsung.
Yeah the Quattrons are a total POS. Light greens look like dark greens, light reds look like dark reds, and finer details tend to smudge together because of a cheap image processor. Absolutely stay away from Quattrons. The idea behind using a fourth color is good, but their implementation of it is horrible.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote