Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-15-10, 11:09 AM   #1
Sean_W

Thumbs up OpenSUSE 11.3 Released.

Quote:
The openSUSE Project is pleased to announce the release of the latest incarnation of openSUSE, with support for 32-bit and 64-bit systems. openSUSE 11.3 is packed with new features and updates including SpiderOak to sync your files across the Internet for free, Rosegarden for free editing of your audio files, improved indexing with Tracker, and updates to Mozilla Firefox, and Thunderbird.

Among these many new features, openSUSE also provides support for netbooks and the Btrfs file system support. Users can expect to see improved hardware support with the 2.6.34 Linux kernel and updated graphics drivers. And support for the next generation of interactive computing for touchscreens like the HP TouchSmart.

openSUSE continues its tradition of delivering the popular KDE, GNOME and Xfce desktop environments, and now also provides the lightweight LXDE desktop environment. With GNOME, you can use the latest 2.30.1 version or take your installation for a drive with a preview of the upcoming GNOME 3.0. Or choose KDE SC 4.4.4 for the latest updates. They all feature the polish and integration that the openSUSE distro has been known for.
Read More

Download

Main site

Direct links to help in this thread:

Better looking fonts in openSUSE

NVIDIA driver repo. 1-Click Install

Search Packman repos in YaST for DVD playback, codecs, VLC player, Xine MP3 playback and extra drivers

Install Chromium/Google Chrome

Setup OpenDNS in Network Manager for better network performance

Last edited by Sean_W; 07-25-10 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Added helpful links
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 02:52 PM   #2
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: OpenSUSE 11.3 Released.

I am going to give it a go, SuSe was the first linux distro i tried back in 2004
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 04:40 PM   #3
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
I am going to give it a go, SuSe was the first linux distro i tried back in 2004
Right now I have Ubuntu on 2 Hdds, Win7 on another rig....and Sean posts this..

I sense a format in the near future. I need another rig. Ubuntu is perfect on my XPS, and it's running exactly as I like. I would imagine the SUSE (Novell?) crowd keeps this highly polished though...

Crap - gonna dl it and give it a go.
Old 07-16-10, 04:56 PM   #4
Drolfrawd

lol @ a confused old man
Old 07-16-10, 04:58 PM   #5
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
lol @ a confused old man
Not confused, more like afraid. I want another rig for testing distros and the wife gonna cut me if I get another...
Old 07-16-10, 05:04 PM   #6
Drolfrawd

Old 07-16-10, 06:09 PM   #7
Sean_W

Guys, I'm running is right now, so if you need any help just ask.

It's improved a lot but don't expect it too be easy as Ubuntu and the NVIDIA driver will be packaged shortly(the hard way otherwise). I don't need 3D for now.

Flash is easy to install via the update system and Banshee comes with MP3 support by default.

If you want Chrome(Chromium is the open source version) just use the open build service

http://software.opensuse.org/search?...ude_debug=true

openSUSE:11.3:Contrib/standard, Click "1-click install" In Firefox when you click that link just click OpenWith and you'll see the option "YaST Meta Package Handler" and it will ask you a few questions about adding the repo, just say yes, bah, bah, yes ok.

Get the DVD if you want to install it, the CD has limited software.
Old 07-16-10, 06:10 PM   #8
Drolfrawd

Thanks Sean , I'm going to download over night tonight.
Install on a disk tomorrow

Old 07-16-10, 06:37 PM   #9
Sean_W

Let me just explain something about the NVIDIA driver situation and why it is as it is.

The newer distros now use the open source NVIDIA driver called Nouveau, which only provides 2D acceleration(only experimental 3D acceleration not by default in some distros). It supports advanced features like KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) which makes seamless resolutions switching.

Ubuntu bridges the gap with binary proprietary drivers, other distros like openSUSE don't and the NVIDIA binary driver from NVIDIA conflicts with the Nouveau driver, so it's like having two drivers access the same hardware, which cannot happen. With these distros you have to sort this out manually by completely disabling the Nouveau driver. It's a pretty simple one command in some distros and then you can install the NVIDIA binary driver when they provide the packages for openSUSE 11.3.

I've done this sort of thing many times, so I know the drill off by heart and it's not for new users installing the NVIDIA driver manually. If you want to dig in deep with me, you're welcome or you can just wait for the packages.

I assume you guys have never attempted manually installing the NVIDIA driver? (excuse me for my ignorance)
Old 07-16-10, 06:39 PM   #10
Drolfrawd

I don't like waiting Probs ask for some help from you sean and get it working .
Thanks
Old 07-16-10, 06:50 PM   #11
Sean_W

If you want to wait http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers
http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_pa...NVIDIA_drivers
Old 07-16-10, 07:43 PM   #12
Sean_W

Post Re: OpenSUSE 11.3 Released.

Let's begin. The manual way

1. Download the NVIDIA driver here http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html select 32bit/64bit whatever. Firefox should let you save the file like a normal file, other browsers might not, so just right click the "Agree to Download" button and "Save Link As" if you get a bunch of text.

2. Just name it "nvidia-driver.run" rather than the full name because it's long and save it to your home directory(not in a folder somewhere).

3. Now make the file executable in the file manager by just right clicking that file and Properties>Permissions Execute and tick "Allow executing file as program". I won't bore you with the one command to do that.

4. Reboot and when you see the bootloader screen, type nomodeset after the text at the bottom, (hit space, just type nomodeset) and press enter to boot.

5. Once you have booted into the desktop, go into the menu "Computer" click Install/Remove Software.

6. Type "Kernel-devel" in the find bar at the top. Click the box next to kernel-devel that it finds. Do the same in the search box and for "make" and "gcc". Click Apply and let it install whatever it needs and downloads, or you can paste the following command in the terminal, which should do the same thing.
Code:
sudo zypper in kernel-devel gcc make
Here's where it gets rather tricky, since we have to compile the driver.

7. Press Ctrl, Alt, F1. This will get to you a TTY. Login as "root" and enter your root password you have set or just the password you login with(the default way on installation).

8. Type init 3 then press enter on that screen and make sure you're on that screen were you logged in before you typed init 3.

9. Type cd /home/myusername So mine would be /home/sean. Type ls to list the files in your home directory(cd moved you to that directory) and you should see your nvidia-driver.run file.

10. Now Type sh nvidia-driver.run and follow the instructions, just say yes, yes. It will now compile the NVIDIA driver, so just wait for it to finish.

11. You'll get a message at the end asking you, do you want to NVIDIA to change the xorgconf for you, say yes.

12. The NVIDIA driver is now installed. To start the login manager, just type init 5 and it should start.

Done. Next Time you boot, you'll need to make the nomodeset permanent.

WARNING: If you do not set this or do nomodeset at boot, you will have problems and the NVIDIA driver and screen my not start.

Open YaST in the menu, go to System>Boot Loader. Click Edit and at the bottom you will see "Optional Kernel Command Line Perameter".

At the end with a space type nomodeset, click OK and OK again and that should be it.

Please let me know how you get on and good luck.

Last edited by Sean_W; 07-18-10 at 11:48 AM.