Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-15-10, 12:04 AM   #13
ViN86

Default Re: Steam install - Dual boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newparad1gm View Post
Ha, that's what happens when you don't read the thread and just respond to the first post. I didn't know about the permissions issue though, but symbolic links are what I use right now to link my Steam install which is on my SSD to games on my RAID array.
Hey man, great minds think alike.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 03:13 AM   #14
kRogue

I have done a similar bit: a laptop with Vista on one harddrive and XP on the other, I installed steam to the XP drive and both Vista and XP can use it just fine. The only minor catch is that if you specify to save the log in credentials and switch OS's then you will need to resupply the login name and password. Also, for compatibility reasons, having the same steam visible from multiple OS's is reasonable... For example, Sacred 2 is particularly painful to get running under Windows 7 64bit (where as it is fine in Vista 32 bit).
kRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 05:54 AM   #15
shteve

My steam folder is on my D drive. To move it, delete clientregistry.blob, move the folder and then run steam.exe. I used to dual-boot xp and vista and shared my steam install with no issues.