Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-16-10, 09:02 PM   #37
Airbrushkid

Default Re: iPhone 4 recall "inevitable" as PR experts call for action

You should go read what they actually said. .55% of the 3,000,000 iPhone 4's that where sold complain about the antenna problem that's like 16,000 or so. And for the case they said if you bought one they would refund your money. And said that they wouldn't have enough Bumpers to pass out so you can pick a different case from there website.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 09:43 PM   #38
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

You should go read what I actually said airbrush.

The antennae flaw is applicable to every single iPhone 4. I have one, I don't intend to return it because I actually like it BUT, the antennae issues is repeatable for EVERY SINGLE IPHONE.

Also, as I have said, the bumper case sucks. Currently the store only has the bumpers, socks and Cole Haan wallet style cases. Nothing else is available online. I guess they disabled the comments and rating system for the bumpers because of the universal derision for it

Further, there are REAL issues regarding the proximity sensor and the home button. The proximity sensor issue was somewhat discussed during the call but I didn't hear anything about the button. My friend who went in and exchanged his phone in-store was told by the tech that it is a known issue so we shall see.

Further, why is the date you can receive cases only till September? And why is there no fix for the issue that resolves it, instead of this software fix and no acknowledgement of the actual degree of attenuation of the phone?

Apple handled this about as poorly as they could have, accepted no responsibility and are offering up a case which costs them probably less than a dollar to make (yes, it really is that cheap).

I will reiterate again, I like my phone, but there are actual issues with it that are still unresolved and cases will do nothing to fix the PHYSICAL problems with the phone.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 10:06 PM   #39
knghtwhosaysni
Ni!

what. why should apple do a recall to change the antenna if just about everyone is happy enough to keep the phone (including yourself)?

Maybe they are cutting off the date at September bc they want to stop allocating the resources to process requests at some point rather than let it linger on forever.... 2 months is plenty of time to take out <5 minutes to tell Apple you would like a free case anyway, why is that so bad?

Anywho, of the reviews I read (ars and Anand), it seemed like the antenna issue was only an issue if you were holding it in a very unnatural manner. No product is perfect and you can't expect companies to recall their products in an effort to make them slightly more perfect. If it is a dealbreaker, then they have done plenty to let you return the phone at no cost, but I get the feeling not many people are going to take advantage of that... This really just seems like a ****storm cooked up by the media.
| i7-2600k | ASUS P8H67-M LE | eVGA GTX 275 1792MB | 8GB 1333mhz | Samsung 830 64GB | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell S2209W | Audio-Technica ATH-A700 | Logitech G500 | Logitech Driving Force GT |
knghtwhosaysni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 12:29 AM   #40
Airbrushkid

I did read your post. And never had a problem with this phone no drop calls nothing wrong. Just think only 16,000 people complained out 3,000,000. That say's a lot if it is real problem. And trying to compare to the Toyota problem is not the same.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Old 07-17-10, 02:45 AM   #41
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

My Toyota stop when I hold the steering wheel wrong.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 05:33 AM   #42
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtwhosaysni View Post
what. why should apple do a recall to change the antenna if just about everyone is happy enough to keep the phone (including yourself)?
Because there is an issue with the antenna, and it is an issue for every single iphone on the market.

Quote:
Maybe they are cutting off the date at September bc they want to stop allocating the resources to process requests at some point rather than let it linger on forever.... 2 months is plenty of time to take out <5 minutes to tell Apple you would like a free case anyway, why is that so bad?
Bear with me here, because this is a bit of a stretch.

What if, and this is really amazing stuff, but what if, someone purchases an iphone at the end of September, early October

I mean I know it's probably never going to happen, but WHAT IF, you know, someone buys an iPhone 4 in that time frame. What then?

Quote:
Anywho, of the reviews I read (ars and Anand), it seemed like the antenna issue was only an issue if you were holding it in a very unnatural manner. No product is perfect and you can't expect companies to recall their products in an effort to make them slightly more perfect. If it is a dealbreaker, then they have done plenty to let you return the phone at no cost, but I get the feeling not many people are going to take advantage of that... This really just seems like a ****storm cooked up by the media.
Have you ever seen an iPhone commercial?

That is the exact same way that the phone is held in EVERY commercial.

Also, I didn't think this was a reproducible issue until I held the phone in my left hand and was browsing/typing with my right hand, which is a VERY natural manner. In the middle of my being on a website, I got an error saying no data signal.

I removed my hand from the position it was in (not un-natural mind you) and BLAM, 5 bars. Shocking, I know. I should totally tell the media about this though. Seems like all the other iPhone 4 users on this website seem to be completely immune to this problem.

Oh wait, you don't have one? How weird. You want to tell people who HAVE a product with an easily reproducible defect that they should not worry about it and that it is overblown? Nice.

Just because I HAVE the phone and I like it doesn't mean that I should NOT be concerned that the manufacturer is trying to sweep this issue under the rug.
Old 07-17-10, 05:48 AM   #43
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Oh no you didn't just compare it to the Toyota recalls?
Think about it again with two things in mind:
a) not every car has those issues like the Toyotas. But all smartphones can have signal problems.
I did, and ALL cars have issues like Toyota's (notice that I did not mention just the acceleration issue, there were other recalls for Toyota/Lexus). It's just that since not all issues are raised and brought to the manufacturers attention, you don't see a big deal about it.

Also, if there are a few cases, you will immediately see some kind of recall in action. If not, you will see something like what happened to Toyota. Defective product whether through an inherent defect or otherwise, typically is recalled.

Note how Apple did not recall anything. Hell, they didn't even acknowledge they had an issue.

Quote:
b) no persons are in danger because of signal issues with smartphones.
I think only the unintended acceleration and braking issues would have caused bodily harm. The other recalls from Toyota were precautionary to ensure the product behaved as expected.

Apple's product does not behave as expected. It is a mechanical issue. It cannot be fixed without additional items added to the product. How does that not qualify for a recall?

Quote:
They handle it very generously for every customer. They did one mistake, they made it visible so now all the smartypants with no clue about signal transmission can easily loose some bars and think that this is a major issue and concerns only the iPhone 4.
What?

This makes absolutely no sense.

Apple, in response to major concerns when the iPhone 3G came out released an OS update which seemed to show stronger signal strength than the phone was actually experiencing and did nothing to alleviate dropped calls. Now they say "oh snap, we made a mistake, we'll issue a patch to correct this". So now I can see the "correct" signal strength?

Fine, but this does nothing to solve the PHYSICAL defect where signal attenuation is occurring. It just demonstrates that the customers were lied to for 2 years.

Quote:
But like I said, Apple's very generous solution is probably not good enough to satisfy those smartypants on the internet.
How the hell is this generous?

Have you SEEN a bumper case? It is about a dollar's worth of material, if not less. 3 million phones, maybe 3 million bucks worth if just bumpers. Throw in a few other cases and lets call it 10-15 million bucks. A recall == 1 BILLION dollars. Do the math.

Some PR person is going to get a nice raise and you will easily swallow this logic.

Quick question, do you OWN this product?

Quote:
This is really the same thing as with the GTX 480 heat and noise "issues". Lots of drama about nothing. Only with Apple and iPhone, the market is much, much larger than with highend GPUs so the hype is also bigger. But in the end it's nothing dramatic.
Nvidia never hid the power envelope of the product. This immediately renders this comparison moot.

Quote:
The 480 is hot, it's a fact. But it's about as hot as previous GPUs.
The iPhone 4 looses signal strength, it's a fact. But it's on par with previous/other phones. The only difference here is that Apple made it visible.
Actually the 480 has a higher thermal envelope than previous GPU's. But again, Nvidia didn't hide this.

The issue with the iPhone is that a cosmetic decision to SHOW the antenna has led to an issue which is not reproducible on other phones.

EVERY iPhone 4 will show a loss of signal/signal strength using the "death grip". You will not see this issue reproducible to the same extent with any other phone. You will see a lowered signal strength but you will not see what Anand and other sites have shown, which is an almost complete loss of signal strength.

---

Again, I have to ask to those who are defending this, do you have this product? How are you coming up with some of these absolutely retarded reasons to defend Apple and it's deny, deny, deny line of thinking?

I am in a 2 year contract which will cost me between 2-3k easily for my phone. I am also covering another line for a relative which is an additional 2-3 k.

So, I am supposed to shut up and listen to you guys who don't have the product and don't know this issue that is easily reproducible, while I shell out 4-6k?

Again, I don't have an issue with the product for the most part, but the fact that it is defective means that the manufacturer is obligated to fix the defect and replace the product. That much should be common sense.
Old 07-17-10, 05:49 AM   #44
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbrushkid View Post
I did read your post. And never had a problem with this phone no drop calls nothing wrong. Just think only 16,000 people complained out 3,000,000. That say's a lot if it is real problem. And trying to compare to the Toyota problem is not the same.
I can reproduce the problem. I didn't call in to Apple to complain. The fact that I can reproduce something that everyone else can as well implies that the defect is universal.

If the product is defective, it doesn't matter how many people call in. The obligation is the manufacturer's to fix the defect.

Old 07-17-10, 06:26 AM   #45
MaXThReAT
GTX to the MaX

SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!
"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 06:37 AM   #46
knghtwhosaysni
Ni!

I was just saying that expecting a recall when so many people seem satisfied enough to keep the phone as is seems irrational. Lots of people use cases, which fixes the issue. A lot of those who don't would probably be okay with using a free bumper. The people who don't want either of those will just have to know to be mindful of how they are holding it. It's not a critical product-disabling defect, the phone is still very usable if you use a case or don't hold it the wrong way. Putting up with the quirk of having to use a case or a bumper or being mindful of how you are holding it seems like a small price to pay for an otherwise very functional smartphone, something that most people would put up with.

If it really sucks so bad that you think it's unusable and you don't want to deal with it, then just return it, but whatever slight discomfort that might come from holding it differently or using a case really doesn't seem like a big deal worthy of a recall.
| i7-2600k | ASUS P8H67-M LE | eVGA GTX 275 1792MB | 8GB 1333mhz | Samsung 830 64GB | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell S2209W | Audio-Technica ATH-A700 | Logitech G500 | Logitech Driving Force GT |
knghtwhosaysni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 06:53 AM   #47
Airbrushkid

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtwhosaysni View Post
I was just saying that expecting a recall when so many people seem satisfied enough to keep the phone as is seems irrational. Lots of people use cases, which fixes the issue. A lot of those who don't would probably be okay with using a free bumper. The people who don't want either of those will just have to know to be mindful of how they are holding it. It's not a critical product-disabling defect, the phone is still very usable if you use a case or don't hold it the wrong way. Putting up with the quirk of having to use a case or a bumper or being mindful of how you are holding it seems like a small price to pay for an otherwise very functional smartphone, something that most people would put up with.

If it really sucks so bad that you think it's unusable and you don't want to deal with it, then just return it, but whatever slight discomfort that might come from holding it differently or using a case really doesn't seem like a big deal worthy of a recall.
Old 07-17-10, 07:16 AM   #48
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I vote ban for placing quote below post.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote