Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-21-10, 05:01 PM   #13
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: A good wireless router

Yeah, I'm no networking junkie either. Really want to start learning about it though. My parents' netgear was super easy to configure so that's one reason I'm planning on purchasing their N-version.

From my readings though there's tons of guides and walk-throughs available for Linksys and Cisco routers, much more so than Netgear. So either way configuration should be a breeze to learn.

Or, that's how I see it.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 05:53 PM   #14
betterdan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: A good wireless router

My Netgear wireless N gigabit WNR3500V2 router has worked flawlessly. The old Netgear wireless G router had a hard time getting it's signal upstairs but this new one is great. I can even go outside and get signal with my cell phone or my wife's laptop from it. Easy to set up and haven't had to reboot it at all like I started having to do with the old wireless G one I got back in 2003.
I would definately buy Netgear again.




Disclaimer: I do not work for Netgear I just like their stuff
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 06:00 PM   #15
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: A good wireless router

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
My Netgear wireless N gigabit WNR3500V2 router has worked flawlessly. The old Netgear wireless G router had a hard time getting it's signal upstairs but this new one is great. I can even go outside and get signal with my cell phone or my wife's laptop from it. Easy to set up and haven't had to reboot it at all like I started having to do with the old wireless G one I got back in 2003.
I would definately buy Netgear again.




Disclaimer: I do not work for Netgear I just like their stuff
LOl at the disclaimer :lol;

I'm hoping what ever I buy will make it upstairs as it's going on my telco panel in the basement and my office is 2nd floor. That and security are my biggest concerns..so I think I have some more reading up to do before I buy.

Just hope my old linksys doesn't die before I get one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 06:14 PM   #16
Drolfrawd
Registered User
 
Drolfrawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,787
Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: A good wireless router

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
LOl at the disclaimer :lol;

I'm hoping what ever I buy will make it upstairs as it's going on my telco panel in the basement and my office is 2nd floor. That and security are my biggest concerns..so I think I have some more reading up to do before I buy.

Just hope my old linksys doesn't die before I get one.
Bro , most likely all of the routers mentioned here will make it up stairs, routers go through ceilings much better than walls.
Security make sure you set your encryption to wpa2 + tkip

long non dictionary pass phrase and you will be protected.
Also as some added protection you can set the router only to except connections from specified MAC address's. i.e. your pc's and devices.

ipconfig /all will show you this from a command prompt.

lastly once you are all set up and devices connected , go back to your router and hide your SSID from view.

There is much more that can be done to stealth your router, but if you do the above you should be pretty much bullet proof.

Also a good idea to change your lan ip address from , say 192.168.1.1 to something else , for example 10.10.90.1
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 06:38 PM   #17
betterdan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: A good wireless router

Good tips Drolfrawd so many people don't do these steps. I have someone in my area that has a wide open wireless network I found on my phone the other night while outside. If I knew who it was I would go let them know and show them how to enable some security on it. If they give a damn that is.

As for the signal going through the ceiling it depends on your house and what it is built out of. If you are putting it in the basement you will have a harder time than others getting a signal up through the floor and then through the ceiling. Also our house was built in 1910 with plaster walls so I've read it is harder for the signal to get through, no problem for the router we have though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 07:15 PM   #18
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: A good wireless router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
Bro , most likely all of the routers mentioned here will make it up stairs, routers go through ceilings much better than walls.
Security make sure you set your encryption to wpa2 + tkip

long non dictionary pass phrase and you will be protected.
Also as some added protection you can set the router only to except connections from specified MAC address's. i.e. your pc's and devices.

ipconfig /all will show you this from a command prompt.

lastly once you are all set up and devices connected , go back to your router and hide your SSID from view.

There is much more that can be done to stealth your router, but if you do the above you should be pretty much bullet proof.

Also a good idea to change your lan ip address from , say 192.168.1.1 to something else , for example 10.10.90.1
COPIED AND PASTED!

Thanks Bro! That's my main concern, and this helps a lot.

Cheers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 04:47 AM   #19
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: A good wireless router

You can use this site to generate a WPA key. Make sure you copy/paste it into a text document for easy access. You also might want to print out a hard copy and store it someplace safe.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 11:21 AM   #20
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: A good wireless router

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
You can use this site to generate a WPA key. Make sure you copy/paste it into a text document for easy access. You also might want to print out a hard copy and store it someplace safe.
Thanks sat - Do you use this? If so I'm going to use that as my key is probably rather weak. But what would be the difference between a, for example, 60 character key I made (mines not) and one they generate for you? Just the ease of not having to type it out?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-10, 05:58 PM   #21
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: A good wireless router

Quick update - wound up getting a Netgear after all The WNR3500L

Lots of well written help for it, easy to configure, although the login page threw me for a bit. Lots of options available.

Good deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 06:09 PM   #22
Albo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 3,633
Default Re: A good wireless router

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Quick update - wound up getting a Netgear after all The WNR3500L

Lots of well written help for it, easy to configure, although the login page threw me for a bit. Lots of options available.

Good deal.
A family friend has the exact same router. They told me to set it up. It was the hardest piece of **** to set up ever.

EDIT:
I can honestly say that I spent more than 6 hours setting it up.

But once you set it up, it's a FANTASTIC router. It had every feature I would ever want. I contemplated getting one, but the router I had was fine for then, and still is.

Anyways, good luck!
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 09:33 PM   #23
betterdan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: A good wireless router

I find Netgear routers extremely easy to set up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 10:50 PM   #24
Albo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 3,633
Default Re: A good wireless router

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
I find Netgear routers extremely easy to set up.
Wow I seriously hope your kidding. I've installed a lot of other routers, but that one was a pain in the ass.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.