Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-22-10, 07:53 PM   #49
|MaguS|

Default Re: Crysis 2 has 'best AI in gaming history'

Um do you know what flanking is because not once was it done and to make matters worse your video clearly shows that the AI shoots at walls...

The first one had the guy turn around and run away just to turn around again and start shooting... he didn't hide or try to get around the player... he stood infront after getting some distance and shot straight.

They did nothing you mentioned. On the 2nd video at the 22sec mark you clearly see two guys standing out in the open right next to each other firing at the player...

The AI in FEAR is much better. Its more about the programmers knowing the how well there AI Routine is because they give NPCs abilities to do certain things in cases rather then simple common stuff. In Fear they should hope over ledges, shoot around corners and use tactics like supressing fire properly.
Old 07-22-10, 08:14 PM   #50
JohnDio

Are you blind (i should not ask, you are ). You do see that i'm cloaked, meaning the enemy don't know where i am, right? He successfully fires at me at first, then turns around to retreat, he hides behind the bushes and while strafing he keeps shooting at my last known location. He then again turns around to hide behind the tree.

In the second video, they suppress me (again i'm in cloak mode, meaning they can't see me) and they shoot at the vehicle, underneath it and at the wall (see the blood in 0:31?). They don't know where i am, they come slowly and firing to this spot to suppress me. Pay also attention to the second enemy when engaging and to my radar. You will see that there are already 3 enemies at where i am, searching for me. There isn't any point in flanking me from that spot, instead they attempt a small flank from the other side.

Guess though it's really hard to notice things. It's easier to "beach" about something
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 03:03 AM   #51
YodaStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
YodaStar, Every clip shows the AI doing the same thing. Im not seeing any unique behaviors or them doing anything out of the normal to survive. They stand or crouch in the same area and fight back.

Smart AI would either back off if they recognize the foe had the upper hand or would have its teammates working to flank the other side, which neither happened. Heck... they could have moved foward to press the enemy and they didn't...

Crysis has AI worse then Deus Ex...
I see how they work together with some giving suppressive fire while others moving forwards taking cover dynamically either upclose or make sure at distant they have some cover. They react to comrades leaning to not have their aim at them , moving in correlation to them etc. They instantly react to destroyted/moved objects which alone is some of the most taxing things with AI no other game does to this extent. AI that reacts to an almost fully destructible and dynamical battlefield is a challenge both perfomance wise (tons of ray-casting per frame) and also to code.

But obviously you need to watch all thevideos to see they also move forward and also flank while having some giving suppresive fire while foes pull back.

Now about Deus Ex having better AI I cant comment about since I havent played it but Deus Ex 2 sure had crappy AI. No if you want to see bad AI in modern games look at Halo 3 or KZ2, they have lots of interest points layed out and scripted 1-3 way movement yet act ankward in most situations and has the kamikaze mentality.

About FEAR it sure is nice but you need to understand it is highly scripted with few interest points where AI is locked onto. Each location may have 1-3 movement outcomes that will repeat when you replay same part. Due to close combat fights in tight areas it is possible for them to do it this way while looking convincing. But from a technical view it is utterly simplistic AI. Btw Crysis soldiers also jump over obstacles like in FEAR if they need to.

But really dont just take my word for it, view FEAR AI in debug mode, check nav points, interest points, scripts. Then do the same for Crysis and see the difference.
YodaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 05:20 PM   #52
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Yeah, play crysis on Delta without cloak and you'll see some interesting AI
Old 07-23-10, 05:44 PM   #53
Sean_W

Crysis shouldn't of had cloak full stop and it made the game too easy. The game is harder with cloak off? NOW WAY! Is that because the AI can always see you now?
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote