Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-21-10, 04:16 PM   #49
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy
Default Re: Anyone else getting a Samsung Galaxy S phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
I think that guy is full of crap. I tried like hell just now to make my bars drop to zero and I could only make it drop one bar by holding tightly with both hands. Even then, it's normal for my phone to drop from 4 to 3 bars in my home on its own. I guess it could be the same as some iPhone owners not being able to replicate the problem on their phones. *shrug*
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 05:17 PM   #50
betterdan

Hmm I wonder if they changed something in the captivate, like new firmware or something. That's the biggest complaints with the Samsung galaxy phones is the GPS is pretty bad along with the compass. I have read they have put out a firmware update I believe in germany that has helped with that problem.

I really don't care about any compass app but it affects the navigation in that it lags when you turn.
Did you download the GPS Test app and see how many satellites it is using? Don't get it confused with how many it is viewing. Most of the time mine is viewing 10-12 satellites but only uses 0-1.
The other night it used 8 which is the first time I've seen that happen. I compared the Vibrant phone with my wife's Garminfone which is great at navigation of course and my wife's phone was viewing 10 satellites and using 6and the accuracy was about 15 feet. My phone that night was like i said using 8 satellites and the accuracy was about 15-20 feet (it kept fluctuating).

As for the bars dropping off, if I am in a weak area they drop off fast if I have my hand covering the bottom of the phone. But then I was in a full signal 3G area down the street and it wouldn't drop any bars no matter how I held it. That probably explains why some see it and some don't. I wonder if most who haven't seen it are in a strong signal area.
Old 07-22-10, 07:40 PM   #51
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

I have 11 in view, 6 in use, and accuracy of 16.4 feet. Now this took some time to actually have satellites in use. This probably had a lag of about 15 seconds before actually activating the available sats.
Old 07-22-10, 07:48 PM   #52
betterdan

Thanks for checking that for me. I may go back to TMobile this weekend and see if any other Vibrants have the same issue. I am imagining they do but it's worth a shot.

Now another question...
Can you open up your dialer and type in *#*#1472365#*#* and a secret GPS settings screen comes up like on the Vibrant?
If so can you go into "Application settings" and see what it says under "Operation Mode"? The Vibrant says Standalone
Then go out of Operation Mode and go into "SUPL/CP Settings" and see what it says for "Server" test? The Vibrant says www.spirent-lcs.com
and finally is your port set at 7275?

Just want to see if the ATT phone is setup any differently.
Old 07-22-10, 09:10 PM   #53
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

yes it says standalone as well and yes it says www.spirent-lcs.com with server port 7275, SUPL is on and AGPS is SUPL
Old 07-22-10, 09:42 PM   #54
betterdan

Thanks again. I wonder why the Tmobile Vibrant and the original Galaxy S are having so much trouble with the damn compass and GPS then...
Old 07-22-10, 11:17 PM   #55
Albo

Thanks for the info Stoneyguy, I'm relieved that the Captivate isn't having these problems, so to speak.

I'll be able to play with the Captivate on Sunday.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 06:49 AM   #56
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post

Thanks for the info Stoneyguy, I'm relieved that the Captivate isn't having these problems, so to speak.

I'll be able to play with the Captivate on Sunday.
I have read that some Captivate users are experiencing this problem. Just do a search for "Captivate GPS". It seems to be a hit or miss issue that luckily I, so far, missed. Betterdan's problems just shows that the same problems exist across the Galaxy S line.

Betterdan, have you read this article?

Old 07-23-10, 07:38 AM   #57
betterdan

Well I didn't read that exact article but yea I saw those same settings on another site that is how I found out about the secret menu. It seemed to work at first but if I go into the GPS Test app it shows it isn't using any satellites. I don't know what the hell is going on to be honest.
Right now I have the it set to supl.google.com and port 7276 with the rest set at stock settings. I went outside a few minutes ago and I got a GPS lock in about 3 minutes and it showed viewing 1 sats and using 5 in GPS test app.

Here is a review comparing the Vibrant and the Captivate. It is saying they also had problems with the GPS with both the Vibrant and the captivate http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/22/s...t-and-vibrant/

I am going to try and make a short video tonight showing the problem I'm having with the compass.
Old 07-24-10, 07:39 PM   #58
CaptnStubing

The problem with the Galaxy is Samsung's UI is poop. Sense is where it's at.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 08:24 PM   #59
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
The problem with the Galaxy is Samsung's UI is poop. Stock Android is where it's at.
Fix.

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 08:51 PM   #60
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
The problem with the Galaxy is Samsung's UI is poop. Sense is where it's at.
agreed, and sense sooner or later will be ported over