Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-22-10, 10:48 AM   #1
Tantalus

Default oS11.3/KDE4: X slows down after a few hours

Hello,

I recently updated my openSUSE 11.2 System to 11.3 and installed the NVIDIA driver (195.36.31) by using the official repositories. I've also replaced my graphic card (8800 GTS 640MB -> GTX 260 896 MB) a few days before, because my CPU wasn't able to play a specific 1080p h264 video correctly. (8800 GTS 640MB doesn't support VDPAU)

Now, I'm encountering serious performance problems, after a few hours. X gets slower and slower, and opening e.g. nvidia-settings freezes the entire X-Screen for several seconds. (in this time, the mouse position updates once every second)

Switching VT or logout and login increases the performance slightly, at least for a moment. But the freezing of the entire X-Screen, when I'm opening nvidia-settings, still exists.
Switching to Runlevel 3, rmmod nvidia, and switching back to Runlevel 5 "solves" the problem. But this is not really a solution ... (EDIT: I tried this again, and this time even that didn't work)

I've never encountered such a problem on my old setup (openSUSE 11.2/8800 GTS 640MB). I'm running two screens (1920x1080, 1440x900) by using TwinView and use several programs like Eclipse, Opera, OOffice, smplayer/VPDAU. Oh, and I'm using KDE 4.4.4.

Is this some kind of side effect of using VDPAU? Driver 195.36.31 or the 260 GTX?
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 11:43 AM   #2
CynicalPride

Default Re: oS11.3/KDE4: X slows down after a few hours

Tantalus,

I am encountering the same exact problem. However, it extends to poor performance in 3d applications as well. While playing a game through WINE, the FPS constantly loops from 80 FPS to 10-15 FPS. It's a good thing I noticed this post, I was beginning to believe it was something I was doing wrong.

I was also using openSUSE 11.3 x86_64 and KDE 4.4.4 with NVIDIA 256.35 on a NVIDIA gtx260. I run 2 monitors as well, both 1920x1080, with TwinView.

I have recently downgraded to openSUSE 11.2, which has solved the problem for the time being.

I'm not sure how to tell if this is a graphics driver problem, or a distribution specific problem. If anyone has any insight on testing that can be done, I'd be willing to test this.

Sincerely
Mark Brown
CynicalPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 04:48 PM   #3
Licaon

the latest driver is 256.35
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 08:04 AM   #4
Tantalus

The problem is getting more and more worse. Even a reboot does not fix the issue. And I'm using fluxbox instead of KDE now. (but I'm still using KDM)

I tried the 256.35 with the same results. Even if there is a memory leak in KDE, why does the Card does not clean up everything, after a reboot?
Old 07-26-10, 08:10 AM   #5
Sean_W

Try a different window manager instead. I'm pretty sure kwin is party to blame for this issue.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 09:08 AM   #6
brucecadieux

I am running the latest driver and kde 4.4 and kde 4.5 on a few computers and haven't seen such slow downs, in fact everything is working extremely well.
brucecadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 10:15 AM   #7
Tantalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Try a different window manager instead. I'm pretty sure kwin is party to blame for this issue.
I'm currently installing the complete Gnome DE. Let's see, whether or not a different DE works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecadieux View Post
I am running the latest driver and kde 4.4 and kde 4.5 on a few computers and haven't seen such slow downs, in fact everything is working extremely well.
Do you use openSUSE 11.3 and/or multiple displays? As CynicalPride, I encountered this problems on oS 11.3 for the first time (on 11.2 I used a more or less up-to-date KDE [no SVN snapshots, but 4.0-4.4.x] and never had any problems like this). Maybe it's some kind of Xorg incompatibility, or something like that?
Old 07-26-10, 11:13 AM   #8
brucecadieux

Yes I am running opensuse 11.3, on three different machines, two desktops and one laptop, all work perfectly for me. That's not saying others are not experiencing problems, just to say that not everyone is.

I do not experience any slow downs with kde 4.4 or kde 4.5 rc2

Old 07-26-10, 11:30 AM   #9
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecadieux View Post
Yes I am running opensuse 11.3, on three different machines, two desktops and one laptop, all work perfectly for me. That's not saying others are not experiencing problems, just to say that not everyone is.

I do not experience any slow downs with kde 4.4 or kde 4.5 rc2
That's because everyone doesn't hit the same bug. I used to get the same issue(bad, sluggish slowdown that happened only a short time of use), even when I tried 4.5RC. I use GNOME in openSUSE 11.3 though with no such issues.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 12:16 PM   #10
brucecadieux

No ugly foot stuff for me, ever
Old 07-26-10, 05:28 PM   #11
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
The problem is getting more and more worse. Even a reboot does not fix the issue. And I'm using fluxbox instead of KDE now. (but I'm still using KDM)

I tried the 256.35 with the same results. Even if there is a memory leak in KDE, why does the Card does not clean up everything, after a reboot?
can you read http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 and generate a good report with the debug info as instructed after the issue appears ?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 07:08 PM   #12
Alejandro Nova

Some hints about this.

1. Try to "Enable Direct Rendering" in KWin. You can do that easily right-clicking on any window titlebar and selecting Window Behaviour Setup | Desktop Effects | Advanced. If you haven't checked "Direct Rendering", check it.

2. How is it doing with InitialPixmapPlacement? Try 0 or 4.

For me, this is a memory leak, and it behaves a lot better with Direct Rendering than with Indirect Rendering. KDE 4.5 RC3 here.
Alejandro Nova is offline   Reply With Quote