Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-27-10, 07:09 PM   #1
purecharger

Default Linux TwinView - Maximize uses both monitors

After upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 from Ubuntu 9.10, the window manager (compiz) does not treat my 2 displays as it did with 9.10. Now windows maximize across both screens, they do not snap to the screen boundary, my lower task bar (where apps get minimized to) extends across both monitors without appearing: by that I mean I dont see it on the 2nd monitor, but I can not resize a window into the area that it would take up on the 2nd monitor.

The alt+tab switcher and all windows that launch in the center of the screen are split across the monitors.

I have my 2 screens in both nvidia-xconfig and CCSM defined as: 0,0+0+0 and 0,1920+0+0

I have submitted a bug to Ubuntu's Launchpad tracker, it has been accepted and marked as an nVidia driver defect: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/597771

Nothing has happened on it. I am posting here in hopes that someone can either instruct me how to change my setup or takes it as an actual bug in the drivers.

Thank you!
purecharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 07:35 PM   #2
seaweed

Default Re: Linux TwinView - Maximize uses both monitors

Isn't that how it should've been in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purecharger View Post
After upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 from Ubuntu 9.10, the window manager (compiz) does not treat my 2 displays as it did with 9.10. Now windows maximize across both screens, they do not snap to the screen boundary, my lower task bar (where apps get minimized to) extends across both monitors without appearing: by that I mean I dont see it on the 2nd monitor, but I can not resize a window into the area that it would take up on the 2nd monitor.

The alt+tab switcher and all windows that launch in the center of the screen are split across the monitors.

I have my 2 screens in both nvidia-xconfig and CCSM defined as: 0,0+0+0 and 0,1920+0+0

I have submitted a bug to Ubuntu's Launchpad tracker, it has been accepted and marked as an nVidia driver defect: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/597771

Nothing has happened on it. I am posting here in hopes that someone can either instruct me how to change my setup or takes it as an actual bug in the drivers.

Thank you!
seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 07:39 PM   #3
purecharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
I don't believe so. Who wants dialog boxes popping up centered on the window, when it causes the box to be split across both monitors?
Old 07-27-10, 08:52 PM   #4
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
No, twinview is supposed to use the xinerama extension to relay monitor placement information to client applications.

Dynamic Twinview, which I suspect the OP is now using, does not, as I recall.

To the OP: What's the output of 'xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA | grep head' ?

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 11:09 AM   #5
purecharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75 View Post
No, twinview is supposed to use the xinerama extension to relay monitor placement information to client applications.

Dynamic Twinview, which I suspect the OP is now using, does not, as I recall.

To the OP: What's the output of 'xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA | grep head' ?

Adam
Hi Adam, thanks for helping. Here is the output:

Code:
$ xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA |grep head
  head #0: 1920x1080 @ 0,0
  head #1: 1920x1080 @ 1920,0
I wasn't aware of Dynamic Twinview, but you've given me something to investigate further. This output seems to indicate I have things set properly, right?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 07-28-10, 02:26 PM   #6
adamk75

Yes, the output shows that your Xserver sees two monitors, one at 0,0 that's 1920x1080, and another that starts at 1920,0 and is 1920x1080. This is correct and suggest that you are *not* using Dynamic Twinview. Which means that your window manager is ignoring those settings from the xinerama extension. Does the problem persist if you use metacity?

In ccsm --> general options --> display settings, is "Detect Outputs" enabled?

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 02:35 PM   #7
purecharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75 View Post
Yes, the output shows that your Xserver sees two monitors, one at 0,0 that's 1920x1080, and another that starts at 1920,0 and is 1920x1080. This is correct and suggest that you are *not* using Dynamic Twinview. Which means that your window manager is ignoring those settings from the xinerama extension. Does the problem persist if you use metacity?

In ccsm --> general options --> display settings, is "Detect Outputs" enabled?

Adam
No it doesn't, and I think we're getting closer to the root problem here. Metacity is the window manager used when I select 'Failsafe Login' from GDM, correct?

Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04, Compiz does not start properly on login to GDM. If I login normally, I dont have a window manager for my windows: there is no window decoration, I can't use alt-tab to application switch, etc.. So what I've been doing is dropping to a virtual console and running 'compiz --replace' from the command line, switching back and voila! I have window decorations and a window manager BUT I have the problem I posted initially.

If I login with 'Failsafe GNOME', I have the monitor behavior I expect, where windows snap to each but I dont have Compiz turned on.

It sounds like maybe I need to figure out why Compiz doesnt start when I login to Gnome regularly?

Ryan