Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-10, 02:15 PM   #1
HakuC

Default 9600 gt distortions on screen with 180.xx.xx. drivers and above

Hi!

I have this weird problem where I get blue or yellow distortions on screen with the newer propriety linux drivers (see enclosed screenshot). This happens while loading X or by opening any imagefile, or sometimes only by browsing the web. And only from drivers 180.xx.xx and above. The 173.xx.xx drivers works perfectly, with no distortions at all. I have tried switching back and forth between the drivers a number of times now, so I know for a fact that the problem is related to witch driver I install.

My card comes overclocked from the manufacturer and I have tried to manually downclock it below nvidias original specification using the nvidia-settings tool, but the distortions still remains. Temperature is fine, and I have a 500 w power supply. I also have inquired about possible firmware updates, but according to the manufacturer there aren't any. I tried both with the nvidia drivers packaged and distributed by Gentoo, and downloading and installing the ones from nvidias own website.

This problem has been present since the card was new, over a year ago. But it didn't bother me so much before because I could solve it by using the older drivers. It's really getting to be annoying now since I'd like to use mplayer with vdpau for 1080p video playback, and I must install 180.xx.xx drivers or above to be able to do so. As of now I have to chose between vdpau and having these distortions.

Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20100728@102459.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	40782  
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (134.8 KB, 79 views)
HakuC is offline   Reply With Quote