Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-06-10, 02:46 PM   #1
mathog

Default Quadro FX 1400 OpenGL many issues under Windows 7

I'm finding a lot of OpenGL issues (I think) on Windows 7 (bit) with a Quadro FX1400 card, none of which were present under XP on the exact same card. Same graphics cards, but different motherboards and processors on the two systems: W7 Athlon II 240 on Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H, 2GB RAM, WXP Athlon 64 3700+, Asus A8N5X, 1GB RAM. Initially the driver on W7 was identified as 8.15.11.8593, then it was upgraded to the latest and greatest, which on Nvidia's site was 197.59 and showed up once installed as 8.17.11.9759.

bzflag 2.0.16, with identical settings on both machines. Initially, before the driver upgrade, on W7 it was just ridiculous, taking a second or so to navigate between entries on the opening menu. (That's right, 1 second to move the cursor up or down one entry.) Upgrading the driver made that program nearly as fast as under WXP, with the one issue that when it exits it blacks the screen for a couple of seconds. With identical settings on W7 it gives 60 FPS, on WXP 71 FPS. So upgrade to a newer OS on faster hardware and lose 15% in performance.

There's a step forward . Really, at least in comparison to the other two programs tested.

Using Swiss PDB Viewer 4.0.1, loaded the PDB file "2r9r" and with "Render in Solid 3D" and "Render in 3D" both off it spins the object about as fast on W7 as on WXP. Set only "Render in 3D" (which I believe is just 3D line drawing through OpenGL) and it is still fast. But set both of these render options on and it crawls on W7. Although it does eventually render an image, it is taking something like 1 second per image on W7. Conversely on WXP in those modes the rendering is only slightly slower than the non3D mode. In plain terms, the program is unusable with space filling representations on W7.

NOC (aka NOCH, can be found on sourceforge) is also a molecular modeling program. It feels a little slower than on W7 but nothing like the problems SPDBV suffers. However, some parts of it just don't work on W7. For instance, the "control panel" sliders don't move in response to clicking on the arrows on their ends.

Is there something that could be set in the nvidia driver to ameliorate some of these issues?
mathog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 02:43 PM   #2
mathog

Default Re: Quadro FX 1400 OpenGL many issues under Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathog View Post
Using Swiss PDB Viewer 4.0.1, loaded the PDB file "2r9r" and with "Render in 3D" and "Render in Solid 3D" both off it spins the object about as fast on W7 as on WXP. Set only "Render in 3D" (which I believe is just 3D line drawing through OpenGL) and it is still fast. But set both of these render options on and it crawls on W7.
Booted the same system with Mandriva 2010.0, ran the same SPDBV binary in Wine and it was able to spin in solid 3D well. Same hardware and this time with the Nvidia proprietary linux driver. Looks like a bug in the Nvidia driver for Windows 7.
Old 05-10-10, 01:38 PM   #3
mathog

If the "enable overlay" bit is set to ON then sometimes, rarely, the solid 3D rendering in SPDBV works and even less often the "control panel" sliders in NOC work. For SPDBV when it is slow the memory usage cranks up from around 50M to well over 100M, and the CPU usage goes to 50% (dual core system) and then falls again once the new (rotated) image appears. Almost like it is falling back to a software renderer that runs on only one core. These options appear to have no significant effect: triple buffering, vsync, stereo on/off.
Old 07-06-10, 02:49 PM   #4
mathog

Updated to 258.49 (lists as 8.17.12.5849) and nothing has changed. I did discover that changing the Nvidia control panel setting for Quality vs. performance from "let 3D application decide" to "use my preferences", and then change the slider from quality (all the way right) to the center or left positions (performance) sped things up with SPDBV a bit, but W7 is still ghastly slow with this application in the solid 3D modes.
Old 07-28-10, 01:48 PM   #5
mathog

Updated to 258.96 and still no joy.

Upgraded the Athlon 64 machine from XP to Windows 7, installed the 258.96 driver, installed SPDBV, and it was slow like the other machine in the "Render in Solid 3D" mode. Before the upgrade it was of course fast. Further evidence for a driver level problem.

I will have to try some other hardware combinations under W7 to see if they suffer from this too. VERY FRUSTRATING!
Old 07-30-10, 12:38 PM   #6
mathog

PROGRESS!

It finally crossed my mind that the issue might be with the driver and not the OS per se. So I went back to an XP system and upgraded it to 258.96. Immediately the SPDBV solid 3D performance became unusable. Have now tested a few driver releases in between and so far the last good one (fast solid 3D) was the default Microsoft one (6.14.11.7813 9/17/2008) and the earliest bad one (horribly slow solid 3D) was 191.87 from (2/9/2010). Both of these have the new Nvidia Display control panel. Will narrow it down further an then file another bug report. Hopefully Nvidia will fix it then.

Update: It turned out to be not that simple. Downgrading from 258.96 to any other driver resulted in that other driver being just as screwed up as 258.96 (or worse). Upgrading in steps from 178.13 (the driver XP pulled off the Microsoft server following a device manager uninstall of the graphics card and a reboot) worked pretty well up to 197.03, then went way down hill at 258.96. However, upgrading directly from 178.13 to 197.03 resulted in a broken driver, as did installing 197.03 immediately after uninstalling the graphics card. Ugh. I will start another thread in the driver section and place a link to it from here.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153609