Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-10, 09:20 AM   #61
Albo

Default Re: What's yer phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
And you will keep waiting, Apple doesn't do recalls... even when their Monitors had an obvious defect like Yellow Tinting. The "issue" can be fixed by not holding it in the retarded
"death grip" or just getting a case.

As for the topic, im currently using an HTC Aria and an iPhone 3GS 32GB. Thinking about getting a Dell Streak when it launches.
$5 says you wrote that with an iPhone?
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 10:44 AM   #62
Airbrushkid

+1

Quote:
And you will keep waiting, Apple doesn't do recalls... even when their Monitors had an obvious defect like Yellow Tinting. The "issue" can be fixed by not holding it in the retarded
"death grip" or just getting a case.

As for the topic, im currently using an HTC Aria and an iPhone 3GS 32GB. Thinking about getting a Dell Streak when it launches.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 01:41 PM   #63
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
$5 says you wrote that with an iPhone?
God no, Posting on forums is annoying with the iphone. Im on a PC.
Old 07-29-10, 02:17 PM   #64
HiCZoK4

I would not get an apple product even if it would be **** from future. I just dislike them so much becouse of unknown for me reasons.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 09:18 PM   #65
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
And you will keep waiting, Apple doesn't do recalls... even when their Monitors had an obvious defect like Yellow Tinting.
Or the recall for the defective USB power adapters. Oh wait, you said they don't do recalls. I guess that wasn't a recall then

Quote:
The "issue" can be fixed by not holding it in the retarded "death grip" or just getting a case.
What cases? There isn't a decent case on the market and the Apple bumper blows. My return was cancelled and I was refunded so I am going to take a dremel to the ****er and fix it up till I can get the Vapor.

As for holding it funny, it is very easy to make it drop signal

And what about the proximity sensor issue?

Quote:
TUAW had a posting that the 3G and 3GS can be "sped up" by reducing or eliminating any items on the spotlight search and apparently it will stop indexing all the time and speed up

Used the Streak a couple of weeks ago and it is pretty snazzy. A little large, but very responsive, even with 1.6.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-10, 04:40 AM   #66
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Me is mine, LG Secret + iPod Touch for my "smart phone" needs, never wanted to use my telephone for music, so Ive kept them seperate. 2 pics showing off my modded iPod

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_black_label_sc.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	40788  Click image for larger version

Name:	34612_411545987609_599582609_5274126_5698068_n.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	40789  Click image for larger version

Name:	38129_411545652609_599582609_5274124_660775_n.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	40790  
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)

Last edited by Smokey; 08-05-10 at 04:35 PM.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 12:44 PM   #67
hawkeyefan

After fooling around with the iphone 4, EVO, Droid X and Galaxy phones, pulled the trigger on a Captivate yesterday. Didn't want to leave ATT and I like the Galaxy over the others, so I'm pleased.

This is my first phone with Swype and I'm definitely not missing the physical keyboard as much as I anticipated. Now, just have to sit back and wait for 2.2 roms to show up in the wild.
hawkeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 12:55 PM   #68
betterdan

Yea Swype is incredible. I was hesitant on having to learn something new to type but I picked up on it within minutes and it's wonderful.
Hopefully you don't have problems with your gps if you plan on using it much. I keep seeing rumors that Samsung is looking into the problem but so far nothing oficial has been put out.

Old 08-02-10, 12:56 PM   #69
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

my RAZR ftw. im about to buy a RAZR2 off craiglist for $20
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 01:11 PM   #70
hawkeyefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Yea Swype is incredible. I was hesitant on having to learn something new to type but I picked up on it within minutes and it's wonderful.
Hopefully you don't have problems with your gps if you plan on using it much. I keep seeing rumors that Samsung is looking into the problem but so far nothing oficial has been put out.
Nah, I never use GPS anyway. In fact, we had a hell of a time finding the exact model of car we wanted but WITHOUT nav in the dash.

I'm hearing the same thing too about a potential software fix anywhere from a day to three weeks but if I were somebody that needed GPS, I'd probably have gone with something else. Or even have waited a while longer, though I'm glad I didn't. I like this phone better than the girl's 3GS by a good margin, at least so far.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to root the thing. No idea WTF I'm doing so that should be interesting. Anybody have opinions on LauncherPro or other alternatives to TouchWiz?
Old 08-02-10, 01:16 PM   #71
betterdan

I mainly wanted something with a decent GPS, weather abilities and phone all in one so i could put it in my pocket and use on motorcycle rides. The Vibrant seemed like the newest fastest thing out so I figured the GPS would work just like any other phone. I knew it wouldn't be as good as my wife's garminfone but then I didn't expect it to be as bad as it is now.
I love the phone too, just the GPS is a let down.

I have seen on the T Mobile forum people are using Launcherpro and saying it is faster than TW. I am fine with TW myself.
Old 08-02-10, 07:29 PM   #72
hawkeyefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
I mainly wanted something with a decent GPS, weather abilities and phone all in one so i could put it in my pocket and use on motorcycle rides. The Vibrant seemed like the newest fastest thing out so I figured the GPS would work just like any other phone. I knew it wouldn't be as good as my wife's garminfone but then I didn't expect it to be as bad as it is now.
I love the phone too, just the GPS is a let down.

I have seen on the T Mobile forum people are using Launcherpro and saying it is faster than TW. I am fine with TW myself.
I don't have any specific problem with TW per se, but I like unskinned Android a bit more. I've never used LauncherPro so I don't know whether to go that direction at this point, although it does look good from what I've read.

I am really happy to be sticking with ATT, believe it or not. The fastest speedtest I ran on my previous phone (BlackJack II) was ~5.5Mbits. Ran one today on the Captivate @ ~6.4, and wireless speedtest of 12+Mbits. The crap Blackjack didn't even have wireless support, so I'm enjoying that aspect immensely.

I rooted the phone earlier and am tinkering now with sideloading apps, removing ATT bloatware and a couple measures to reduce lag on the phone but so far I just love this thing. Battery life appears to be a rough deal but hopefully Battery Defender, Advanced Task Killer, etc. will help with that. I suppose with these massive displays that some of this is unavoidable for now. I absolutely appreciate the oversatured display though. The Droid X looked pretty washed out by comparison, but in fairness, this display doesn't hold a candle to the iphone 4...

dan, have you attempted any of the GPS fixes posted on xda and androidforums? People seem to be reporting decent success with the workarounds until an official update can (hopefully) solve the issue for good.