Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-24-10, 02:02 PM   #1
dinosaur

Default NVIDIA driver crashing with OpenGL apps and Xorg v1.7.7

Greetings,

I've got an issue with NVIDIA drivers (tested with v256.35 and v195.36.31) under Linux Mandriva 2010.1 (Xorg v1.7.7): when switching from one desktop to another, leaving the desktop with an OpenGL application running (SecondLife viewer v1.23.5) for another with a 2D application (often Firefox, but not only), the OpenGL application sometimes crashes (about one in ten times with v256.35, and down to only one in fifty times with v195.36.31).
Other, rarer times, there is no crash but coming back to the desktop with the OpenGL application running, the latter crawls down erratically at 1fps or less and I must then switch forth to and back from another desktop to get back the normal functioning of the OpenGL app (when this happens, no specific message appears in the logs, be them /var/log/messages or the SecondLife viewer log).

The funny thing is that with the same environment (same computer, same vanilla Linux kernel version and same kernel compilation options, same desktop environment (Gnome) and same window manager (Sawfish), including same WM version (Sawfish v1.6.3), same SecondLife viewer version), but with Mandriva 2009.0 (Xorg v1.4.2), I *never* get such crashes...
I also had such issues with Mandriva 2010.0 and this was such of a showstopper that I waited for 2010.1, hoping that whatever went wrong between newer Xorg servers and NVIDIA drivers would be solved...

Whenever the crash happens, the SecondLife viewer does provide a stack trace log, which could be of some help since it's always exactly the same one for a given NVIDIA driver version.

For v256.35 I get:
Code:
0   com.secondlife.indra.viewer     	0x948b4f3 do_elfio_glibc_backtrace() + 323
1   com.secondlife.indra.viewer     	0x811d9e0 LLAppViewer::handleSyncViewerCrash() + 16
2   com.secondlife.indra.viewer     	0x9921401 LLApp::setError() + 17
3   com.secondlife.indra.viewer     	0x992314d default_unix_signal_handler(int, siginfo*, void*) + 1597
4   unknown                         	0xffffe40c [0xffffe40c]
5   unknown                         	0xb5d68f7f /usr/lib/libnvidia-glcore.so.256.35(+0xd1cf7f) [0xb5d68f7f]
And for v195.36.31:
Code:
0   com.secondlife.indra.viewer     	0x948b4f3 do_elfio_glibc_backtrace() + 323
1   com.secondlife.indra.viewer     	0x811d9e0 LLAppViewer::handleSyncViewerCrash() + 16
2   com.secondlife.indra.viewer     	0x9921401 LLApp::setError() + 17
3   com.secondlife.indra.viewer     	0x992314d default_unix_signal_handler(int, siginfo*, void*) + 1597
4   unknown                         	0xffffe40c [0xffffe40c]
5   unknown                         	0xb5c9dcbf /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1(+0xd1acbf) [0xb5c9dcbf]
(the interesting lines being 4 and 5 since 0 to 3 simply correspond to the viewer crash handler calls).

I also attach to this post the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file for the driver v256.35.

Last edited by dinosaur; 07-15-12 at 06:15 PM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 03:39 PM   #2
Licaon

Default Re: NVIDIA driver crashing with OpenGL apps and Xorg v1.7.7

did you disable the screensaver ? or power settings ?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 04:18 PM   #3
dinosaur

My Gnome installation is extremely minimal: no screen saver started (and no Nautilus, no Evolution, no nothing but the task bar, and a few applets: I don't like bloated software...).

The power management is also entirely disabled, since it's a desktop computer.

In any case, this would be irrelevant, since with the *same* setup, I get no crash at all with Mandriva 2009.0 (Xorg v1.4.2): obviously, something went wrong with newer combinations of Xorg and NVIDIA drivers.
Old 07-31-10, 04:59 PM   #4
dinosaur

It just occurred to me that the issue was perhaps not due directly to the interaction between newer Xorg versions and NVIDIA drivers, but to the gcc version used to compile them... Under Mandriva 2009.0 the system compiler is gcc v4.3.2, and under 2010.1 it's gcc 4.4.3...

Is anyone aware of issues with gcc v4.4 and NVIDIA drivers ?
Old 07-31-10, 05:52 PM   #5
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Is anyone aware of issues with gcc v4.4 and NVIDIA drivers ?
Code:
licaon@mindeba:/warehouse/temp/ > gcc --version
gcc (Debian 4.4.4-7) 4.4.4
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
not really
Old 08-02-10, 12:18 PM   #6
dinosaur

After more testing:

The bug still occurs with driver 256.44.
It also occurs, but much less frequently, in Mandriva 2010.0 (Xorg v1.6.5).
When installing x11-server-xorg and x11-driver-input-* v1.4.2 (from Mandriva 2009.0) into Mandriva 2010.1, the bug doesn't occur any more.

In Mandriva 2010.1 with Xorg v1.7.7, I also have strange delays (up to 2s !) on GTK2 windows redraws when switching desktops or starting the GTK2 app (in particular with gFTP and ossxmix) during which the CPU is loaded at 100%, and this with all NVIDIA driver versions I tested (from 195 to 256). This delay doesn't happen in Mandriva 2010.0 (Xorg v1.6.5) neither Mandriva 2009.0 (Xorg v1.4.2).

From the above I can conclude that there is definitely something wrong between NVIDIA drivers and Xorg v1.6 and v1.7 (with the latter having the worst issues).

I'm going back to Mandriva 2009.0 till things settle... :-/
Old 08-02-10, 02:46 PM   #7
Licaon

Quote:
From the above I can conclude that there is definitely something wrong between NVIDIA drivers and Xorg v1.6 and v1.7 (with the latter having the worst issues).
then there's something fishy in the Mandriva 2010.1 Xorg v1.7.7 build, as 1.7.7 is working ok on Debian and Ubuntu ( on my machines anyway ) with the nVidia drivers; yep, ossxmix works flawless
Old 08-03-10, 11:48 AM   #8
dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
then there's something fishy in the Mandriva 2010.1 Xorg v1.7.7 build, as 1.7.7 is working ok on Debian and Ubuntu ( on my machines anyway ) with the nVidia drivers; yep, ossxmix works flawless
With what graphic card, what desktop environment, what window manager, etc ?... It's perhaps a bit too easy to accuse Mandriva and brag about Ubuntu... Mind you, I had a close look at the patches used in Mandriva's Xorg packages (and also compared them with the patch set for their v1.4 server which works fine), and found nothing "fishy" (most patches are even shared with/come from other distros, including Redhat and Ubuntu)... I bet that if I were to install Ubuntu and use exactly the same software as with Mandriva, on the same computer, I'd hit the very same bug...

My guess is that under certain conditions (that not everyone will encounter), Xorg v1.7 (and in a lesser measure v1.6) triggers a bug in Nvidia drivers, or vice-versa.

Only a NVIDIA developer could tell what happens exactly (based on the stack trace and logs I gave in this thread), since the NVIDIA drivers are closed sources...

Old 08-03-10, 01:20 PM   #9
Licaon

Quote:
With what graphic card, what desktop environment, what window manager, etc ?...
GTS250/KDE 4.4.5/Kwin (with or without composition)

Quote:
It's perhaps a bit too easy to accuse Mandriva and brag about Ubuntu...
actually i was bragging about Debian ( i'm not that of an Ubuntu user; although my secondary machine has it, it's not my current one )
I was just stating the distros where i don't see issue. Chill.

Quote:
I bet that if I were to install Ubuntu and use exactly the same software as with Mandriva, on the same computer, I'd hit the very same bug...
You won't know until you try and if you do, please test with Debian Sid ( such as www.sidux.com ) and not with Ubuntu ( they tend to care less about upstream so no need to encourge them :P )

Quote:
My guess is that under certain conditions (that not everyone will encounter), Xorg v1.7 (and in a lesser measure v1.6) triggers a bug in Nvidia drivers, or vice-versa.
yep, might be, that's why i pointed out to the patches used by Mandriva as opossed to those used by Debian or others.

That's why until you get a chance to test 1.7.7 used in other distros than Mandriva we won't learn anything new.
Old 08-03-10, 04:33 PM   #10
dinosaur

Quote:
GTS250/KDE 4.4.5/Kwin (with or without composition)
8800GT, Gnome, Sawfish.

End of comparison. Your results can't obviously be compared with mine.
Old 08-03-10, 05:45 PM   #11
Licaon

Quote:
8800GT, Gnome, Sawfish.
(on my secondary system) 8600GT, Gnome, Metacity ( or whatever Ubuntu 10.04LTS ships with )

Quote:
End of comparison. Your results can't obviously be compared with mine.
So, it's a Gnome issue then? Or a Sawfish one?

Maybe you should test KDE4 and Metacity with X 1.7.7 before pointing at the nVidia driver?

Maybe you should test any other distro with Gnome/Sawfish and X 1.7.7 before pointing at the nVidia driver?
Old 08-04-10, 12:21 PM   #12
dinosaur

Quote:
(on my secondary system) 8600GT, Gnome, Metacity ( or whatever Ubuntu 10.04LTS ships with )
Therefore not identical to mine: again, your own results wil be different from mine.

Quote:
So, it's a Gnome issue then? Or a Sawfish one?
It's not since everything works fine with the SAME Gnome and Sawfish versions but with Xorg v1.4.2...

Quote:
Maybe you should test KDE4 and Metacity with X 1.7.7 before pointing at the nVidia driver?

Maybe you should test any other distro with Gnome/Sawfish and X 1.7.7 before pointing at the nVidia driver?
You apparently don't understand... Please, re-read my first message. I'm not pointing specifically at Nvidia drivers, but I'm saying (and proving) that Nvidia drivers and Xorg v1.7 do not play nice together on my system. This is a FACT. Another FACT, is that since Nvidia drivers are closed sources, only Nvidia developers *can* properly investigate (especially since the crash occurs in a routine pertaining to their driver: see the stack trace log).

Now, since you are not an Nvidia developer, and since you are not using the same system as mine, I don't think your contribution to this thread is of any help, and since I have better things to do, I'll stop replying your messages here. Thank you.