Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-10, 08:28 AM   #13
cmessina

Default Re: GT220 256.35 Kernel 2.6.34 rminitadapter failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
I'm sorry I can't help you further immediately. I would have re-installed the / partition already
I appreciate your help!

I hate having to reinstall, not just for the extra work, but because the problem wasn't really found or fixed. There's nothing that bugs me more than having an issue, searching all over the Internet and finding people with the same exact problem -- but their only fix was to wipe and reinstall. It doesn't help the original person, and it doesn't help anyone else who happens to run across it.

That being said, it's beginning to look like that's what I'm going to have to do I originally did an in-place upgrade from opensuse 11.1 to 11.3, so I'll try a complete wipe and reinstall this time.

Thanks again for your help up to this point!

I'm still open for suggestions from anyone at the moment, won't be reinstalling for another week or so (going on vacation soon).
cmessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 01:15 AM   #14
Ulukai

Default Re: GT220 256.35 Kernel 2.6.34 rminitadapter failed

I just don't get it, it doesn't make a lot of sense... I'm running Arch Linux and have upgraded my kernel and Nvidia driver a dozen of times (always using the driver from the official repo though) and never had any problems.

But when you say that neither Nvidia or Nouveau is loading, it still sounds like they interfere somewhere, although you have disabled one of them. When you removed nouveau, did you also do "sudo updatedb && locate nouveau" aftwerwards? Maybe there is still something left behind and detected by a boot script. You might try that and also remove Nvidia driver and chech with the locate command what's left behind. Remove all files, reboot into runlevel 3. Reinstall Nvidia module (256.44), regenerate xorg, reboot into runlevel 5 and try starting X.

You probablmy have done all this already, but I'm out of ideas and that's the end of the road for my Linux-Nvidia knowledge

Anyway, whether it works out or not, enjoy your vacation!
Ulukai is offline   Reply With Quote