Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-10, 01:12 AM   #1
peter_ga

Default Massive memory leak, twinview, xinerama

Hi,
I am getting a memory leak running 190.42 driver using two cards pci ids 0640 rev A1 and 0645 revision a1. One card has two terminals attached, and uses twinview, with xinerama merging the other card into the virtual space. The x11 server is home-brew, version 1.6.1. Kernel version 2.6.31.5

My application occasionally behaves well, with no leak. When I look at /proc/PID/maps, there are say 66 entries for /dev/nvidia0 and 54 entries for /dev/nvidia1. When the leak occurs, the entries for /dev/nvidia1 grow rapidly until the kernel kills the application due to shortage of memory. This takes about 2 minutes, with the application size approaching about 1.6 gig. The entry count for nvidia0 in the maps file is stable, as is that for "00:00", ie the ram.
Windows are set so that each window covers a single card.

Is it possible to ensure that the buffer allocated to a texture is set to the correct card, in a multi-card system. I notice that glxCreateContext refuses to return a context for a non-zero screen number, nevertheless the app usually behaves well with the window on screen 1.

The high memory leak could possibly be being caused by video being output using gltexsubimage allocating an excessive amount of memory for each frame. Can I somehow force the device a texture id is allocated to? However even if there are no calls to gltexsubimage, the leak will occur, though slower.

Any advice along these lines would be appreciated.
peter_ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 10:49 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Massive memory leak, twinview, xinerama

190.42 is very old. Please try 256.44. If the problem still occurs, please see the forum sticky posts about how to generate a bug report log file, and also attach a simple test case that reproduces the problem.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 06:47 PM   #3
peter_ga

Hi,
Thanks for that tip. The program does indeed work well with the updated driver.

On a side note, I am actually in awe of how the driver in twinview mode manages to keep monitors of different types simultaneously synchronized. The old driver did that as well of course.
peter_ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 10:11 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Excellent, I'm glad to hear that it's working for you.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote