Old 08-12-10, 11:30 AM   #1
News

Post Rumor: AMD 6xxx Series GPUs Slated for November

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 10:22 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Rumor: AMD 6xxx Series GPUs Slated for November

Soooo... the 6k series may be on 28nm? Really? Isn't the 5k series 40nm? If so, that's gonna' give AMD an insane advantage over nVidia.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 10:25 PM   #3
JasonPC

Unlikely as the process isn't going to be ready until 2011.

I'll have to check if they got their facts wrong because I was pretty sure TSMC was doing 32 nm and it was Globalfoundries that was skipping to 28 nm. It really seems like they got their facts scrambled. 28 nm AMD graphic chips were supposed to be manufactured with Globalfoundries' 28 nm tech. TSMC's 32 nm tech wasn't even supposed to be ready until Q2 2011. How are they going to be manufacturing chips in 2010 with tech that's not supposed to be ready until 2011??
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 10:32 PM   #4
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
Unlikely as the process isn't going to be ready until 2011.

I'll have to check if they got their facts wrong because I was pretty sure TSMC was doing 32 nm and it was Globalfoundries that was skipping to 28 nm. It really seems like they got their facts scrambled. 28 nm AMD graphic chips were supposed to be manufactured with Globalfoundries' 28 nm tech. TSMC's 32 nm tech wasn't even supposed to be ready until Q2 2011. How are they going to be manufacturing chips in 2010 with tech that's not supposed to be ready until 2011??
That's what had me confused.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:10 PM   #5
Bah!

Quote:
This new GPU will come manufactured on a 28nm process. The original plan was to make these upcoming chips using a 32nm manufacturing process (and called Northern Islands by AMD), but Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) ended up skipping its 32nm R&D and jumped straight to 28nm.
Quote:
While details on the new line are still vague, there are reports coming out the new series will use the current 40nm fabrication process and not the 32nm originally intended. This is due to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) advancing to 28nm and skipping the 32nm process all together. So, AMD had to make the adjustment back to 40nm in order to prevent delays to the new series.
The first quote is from this article. The second is from another article. Every other article I've seen about these new 6000 cards says the same thing as the second quote, that the 6000 series will be 40nm cards.

Either way, I wouldn't expect the 6000 series cards to be anything more than a refresh that improves AA and tessellation performance of the current 5000 cards. They certainly won't jump in hte kinds of speeds that traditional new lines of cards usually achieve.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:59 PM   #6
JasonPC

One thing I hope the 6000 series can do (and I know it sounds petty but it couldn't hurt) is to shrink the length of the PCB. 5870 PCBs are larger than 480s, 5850 PCBs are significantly larger than 470s, and the 5830 is enormous compared to the 460. It seems like this could help out with smaller cases and cable management.

Also continue for power efficiency and low temperatures. They make fun of fermi but hey 58xx series cards can still get pretty hot under load. They aren't necessarily THAT much cooler to be throwing stones at nvidia like that And the 460 has shown that GF104 can be extremely efficient. Definitely can thrash the 5830 (which has some serious downfalls for its performance category, like higher idle and load temps than a 5850) with lower idle and load temps.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote