Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-10, 12:03 AM   #13
Arup

Default Re: Enabling blur in kwin slows down the desktop effects

I shelved my expensive dual GPU ATI4850 for nvidia 8400GS due to nvidia's excellent driver, it works fine here. KDE is the issue, not nvidia, no such issues with Compiz on Gnome.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 04:38 AM   #14
nece228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
I shelved my expensive dual GPU ATI4850 for nvidia 8400GS due to nvidia's excellent driver, it works fine here. KDE is the issue, not nvidia, no such issues with Compiz on Gnome.
You people are so fanboyish. I already said that compiz uses opengl 1.4 while kwin uses opengl 3.0. Why you still cant get that nvidia poorly supports opengl 3 in linux? I really dont want to blame nvidia for all the problems, but take a look at nvidia bugs in linux, theres thousands of them. In fact theres no such slowdowns when using ati fglrx driver. Im starting to be disappointed that i recently bought nvidia, and your ignorance and saying that nvidia drivers are perfect and thats only kwin issue is such an absurdish statement.
nece228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 03:36 PM   #15
conky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nece228 View Post
You people are so fanboyish. I already said that compiz uses opengl 1.4 while kwin uses opengl 3.0. Why you still cant get that nvidia poorly supports opengl 3 in linux? I really dont want to blame nvidia for all the problems, but take a look at nvidia bugs in linux, theres thousands of them. In fact theres no such slowdowns when using ati fglrx driver. Im starting to be disappointed that i recently bought nvidia, and your ignorance and saying that nvidia drivers are perfect and thats only kwin issue is such an absurdish statement.
KWin doesn't use OpenGL 3.0. Mesa doesn't support OpenGL 3.0 yet. There are plans to move KWin compositing to OpenGL 3.0 for KDE 4.7, but that's in the future. Nvidia's drivers share most of their code base with the Windows driver. OpenGL 3 and 4 work fine with Nvidia's linux drivers.
conky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 07:55 AM   #16
nece228

Quote:
Originally Posted by conky View Post
KWin doesn't use OpenGL 3.0. Mesa doesn't support OpenGL 3.0 yet. There are plans to move KWin compositing to OpenGL 3.0 for KDE 4.7, but that's in the future. Nvidia's drivers share most of their code base with the Windows driver. OpenGL 3 and 4 work fine with Nvidia's linux drivers.
Well yeah, you are right, i made mistake. Kwin uses opengl 1 as its base, but the blur plugin uses opengl 2.0. It looks like different hardware combinations are not supported well. more or less, we must know the answer from nvidia developer, so see whats really wrong with nvidia driver.
nece228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 03:38 PM   #17
drhirsch

I would really like to see an answer from a kde developer. It is possible to efficiently implement an blur effect with opengl 1.4 (as compiz demonstrates), so why did they choose opengl 2.0?
And on top of this, the "old" blur from pre kde 4.3 didn't have performance issues, it just had some other bugs, like crashes :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nece228
In fact theres no such slowdowns when using ati fglrx driver.
There are: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=240360

But there are no such slowdowns when using compiz.

And seemingly there are a lot of problems with the blur effect in 4.5, with both nvidia and ati drivers:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=245988
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=243975
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=243191
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=242457

So it is pretty likely the kwin is the culprit. This is far from saying the the nvidia driver is perfect, in fact, it isn't. But you need to get the facts right before you accuse other people of ignorance.
drhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 01:51 PM   #18
Alejandro Nova

If you compare KDE 4.5 RC1's blur with 4.5.0's blur, 4.5.0 is an order of magnitude faster. This isn't about the genius programming the blur, this is more about a new effect (4.2.0 blur was scrapped completely) that needs testing, testing and more testing. Also, the effect isn't optimized, we can see it blurring blurred regions all of the time, specially with the oxygen-transparent branch.

OTOH, KDE 4.6 is expected to upgrade the KWin compositing engine to OpenGL 2.0. Maybe we see something interesting going out from there.
Alejandro Nova is offline   Reply With Quote