Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-19-10, 10:45 AM   #13
bacon12

Default Re: A problem in GNOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Never again

Installed it and spent the next hour and a half learning to rescue my install. Lost X completely, couldn't even boot to a log in screen. killed my fglrx too..

Heh, never again.

Sorry for the hijack Doc, needed to vent and didn't want to make another thread!

Back on topic
Use a KDE centric distro, and you will see how awesome it is. I started on gnome in Fedora 5 and once I started using KDE I can't stand gnome. I should install linux again, its been a while.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 10:56 AM   #14
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Use a KDE centric distro, and you will see how awesome it is. I started on gnome in Fedora 5 and once I started using KDE I can't stand gnome. I should install linux again, its been a while.
I had a clean install of Fedora 13 (awesome distro) with KDE, but...well, I don't want to hijack Doc's thread any further. I'll just say I really think the KDE team is way, way too focused on eye-candy over intuitive use and functionality.

Don't get me wrong, I love good desktop bling, but personally I lean more towards minimalist than full blown effects anyway.
Old 08-19-10, 11:16 AM   #15
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love good desktop bling, but personally I lean more towards minimalist than full blown effects anyway.
hater
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 11:28 AM   #16
bacon12

Quote:
I had a clean install of Fedora 13 (awesome distro) with KDE, but...well, I don't want to hijack Doc's thread any further. I'll just say I really think the KDE team is way, way too focused on eye-candy over intuitive use and functionality.

When I say KDE centric, I mean a distro that uses KDE as the default desktop, and gnome is secondary. Bling isn't the reason I like KDE, its the customization and functionality of the desktop that I love. I haven't used to much of KDE4 and it would take a while to get used to it probably. Gnome is gimped compared to KDE IMO.
Old 08-19-10, 12:36 PM   #17
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
hater
Yah caught me

Quote:
When I say KDE centric, I mean a distro that uses KDE as the default desktop, and gnome is secondary. Bling isn't the reason I like KDE, its the customization and functionality of the desktop that I love. I haven't used to much of KDE4 and it would take a while to get used to it probably. Gnome is gimped compared to KDE IMO.
Yep, I understand your meaning - what distro would you recommend? I prefer deb based, but rpm is cool too.

Thing is I first ran into the same issue Doc had for this thread, no default shut down. I had to install the applet afterwards. I also couldn't move anything in the taskbar, no option for it, and every icon I placed there set itself to the far right.

I also find the new menu clumsy, not very intuitive either as well as having to access numerous panels for simply customizing the appearance. I do everything under one..no, 2 menus in Gnome.

Like you said though, that may just be the way a non default DE installs itself. Recommend me a KDE-centric distro and I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks bacon
Old 08-19-10, 12:52 PM   #18
bacon12

By far my favorite distro last time I had a linux install. Based off mandravia, and very easy to use out of the box.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180
Old 08-19-10, 01:09 PM   #19
grey_1

Quote:
By far my favorite distro last time I had a linux install. Based off mandravia, and very easy to use out of the box.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180
Heh, I was looking at that the other night. I love texstar and companies work. Last time I used it was a year or so ago - if they've managed to build on what they had then, I'll be happy to reinstall it.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-10, 04:04 PM   #20
grey_1

Gotta be kidding me - fresh install of Pclinuxos on a known good hdd, nothing else even touched yet.

Open FF, open preferences and KDE crashes on me.

wow

EDIT: and synaptic is crashing....

Heck, the terminal just crashed while updating

Old 08-19-10, 04:36 PM   #21
grey_1

Back to Ubuntu.

Every attempt to configure or update anything resulted in an app crash or lock up.

I don't mind tweaking and fixing here and there, but this is (In Ubuntu now) just about unusable. Too bad, really. I enjoyed pclinuxos quite a bit last time I used it.
Old 08-19-10, 08:50 PM   #22
grey_1

Gnome FTW - Like it so much I'm posting it twice...
Old 08-20-10, 08:49 AM   #23
DiscipleDOC

Touche, my friend!

DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 10:09 AM   #24
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Good looking desktops guys.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote