Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-09, 04:41 PM   #25
Jim Fairman

Default Re: plans for 3D vision under linux ???

I am an X-ray crystallographer that does a lot of three dimensional molecular modeling. I have used the Quad Buffered stereo option in Windows, but there are a host of crystallographic and molecular modeling programs that are only available for Linux. I would love to get a working 3D Vision driver working with my Quadro FX hardware!
Jim Fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 05:12 AM   #26
Techno_man

Quadro GPUs support 3D Vision. What about GeForce GPUs??
Techno_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 12:53 PM   #27
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

We have no plans to support 3D Vision on GeForce cards at this time.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 02:07 AM   #28
allen_b

Aaron,
any ideas on an ETA for 3D Vision linux drivers with use with a Quadro?

Thanks,
Allen
allen_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 02:17 AM   #29
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_b View Post
Aaron,
any ideas on an ETA for 3D Vision linux drivers with use with a Quadro?

Thanks,
Allen
Preliminary support was added in 195.30 and is available in the current beta release, 195.36.03. See the documentation in the README on the Stereo option for details.
Old 05-13-10, 12:29 PM   #30
waltm

With the big push on for home 3D, if there are still no plans for 3d on a GeForce is there an estimate on when more displays will be added to the linux Quadro drivers? I'm mostly interested in 1080p checkerboard for DLP at this time.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_...rds_linux.html only lists a few types of displays (lcd and analog)
Quote:
* 1680x1050 Desktop Displays
o Samsung® SyncMaster 2233RZ 120 Hz LCD display
o ViewSonic® FuHzion™ VX2265wm 120 Hz LCD display
o ViewSonic FuHzion VX2268wm 120 Hz LCD display
o 100 Hz and higher analog CRTs

We will be adding support for more of the 3D Vision Ready displays, HDTVs and Projectors in future driver releases.
while DLP is currently listed under windows support.

Also, does software have to be written to take advantage of stereo output or will the driver get the depth info from existing 3d software such as flightgear?
waltm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 07:34 PM   #31
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

The driver supports a number of different stereo modes, including interleaved checkerboards. See the README for details. I'm not sure where the list you linked to came from.

Workstation stereo requires the application to render the scene separately for each eye.
Old 05-13-10, 11:11 PM   #32
bwheaton

Send a message via AIM to bwheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
I'm not sure where the list you linked to came from.
That's the list I've been looking for. It really, really should be in the README. We spent a far amount of time beating our head against the lack of documentation in Quadro/Linux/3D Vision.

And the specific monitor list strikes me as a pretty silly limitation? On a pure USB implementation, I bet there's some fiddling to do to timing to make it work - but surely the VESA connector obviates that?

Which draws me to the next question - does Nvidia do any tricks with EDID to make the monitors enter a special '3D mode'? The rumor is certain monitors can enter a special mode with extra dark time between eyes, or some similar magic? How on earth is that meant to work on Linux, with modelines etc.?

Can you please find out why the Quadro/Linux/3D Vision system - already a high end system, and having accomplished the ROI goals in one fell swoop, presumably, can't just be active for all and any monitors?

The situation now seems to be (as of testing with the 3D Vision enabled Beta) that the emitter comes on (soft green light), the VESA sync comes out of the card and mini-jack, the monitor is running at 120Hz (the Alienware, in our case), the app produces QBS images, but no eye flipping takes place. AND THERE'S NO CLUES.

Can we please get this addressed? By definition, it's your high end Quadro customers, also paying a bit extra for 3D Vision, and on Linux, so presumably 'serious', just get worked over, for no apparent reason. If nothing else, how about a tech note showing the steps needed and limitations?

Regards,

Bruce
bwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-10, 08:11 AM   #33
waltm

Quote:
See the README for details. I'm not sure where the list you linked to came from.
That link I posted came from following links listed in the the README under supported cards, then click on "Linux customers click here".
waltm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 06:01 AM   #34
visvel

considering that it's public knowledge that QUADRO cards are just geforce with a slightly modified firmware, it's really a bummer that nvidia won't support geforce 3d vision for linux

c'mon nvidia has always been one of the best supporters for linux graphics, why such a change of heart?
visvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 06:54 PM   #35
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by visvel View Post
considering that it's public knowledge that QUADRO cards are just geforce with a slightly modified firmware, it's really a bummer that nvidia won't support geforce 3d vision for linux
it was true until the 8xxx series, now they're really different

the thing is that they don't want OpenGL pro workstation users to use Geforce cards on any OS, that's why you don't have 3D Vision for OpenGL games in Windows either, but there at least you can use the iZ3D or the TriDef DDD driver ( with some performance penalty )
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 12:22 PM   #36
gpharos

Quote:
We have no plans to support 3D Vision on GeForce cards at this time.
Is there an updatae to the Geforce 3d visions support.

I have a 8200, 8300 and soon 9400 Geforce IGA MB's. Just about every accelerated graphic card for HD content is using these chipsets. Kudo's to Nvidia and a great job indeed.

Now my next step is 3D vision under linux, so I would like to know will 3d Blu-Ray or 3d sd work on the MB chipsets?

If not, can I install a video Nvidia card that supports SLI/Cuda and it would work? Mainly for DVD HD movies, not really gaming but if I were to use gaming, maybe a low end and high end graphic card solution recommendation.
And do I really need open GL for 1080P movie support? Will the drivers provided by the 256.xx.xx work fine with the 3d visioin solution. Just 3d confused using Ubuntu.

Thank you and once again great job.

George
gpharos is offline   Reply With Quote