Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-10, 11:06 PM   #1
dek8

Default Best driver for 120hz?

I cant find a complete driver... they all seem to have some issues with my monitor...

1st off, im on a minimalist Ubuntu 10.04, XFCE4 setup. 8800gt hooked up to a Samsung 2233rz (120hz) lcd.

The best solution i have working now are the 195 official current version from synaptic. I have tried 173, 185 and the latest 256.

195 is the one that has the best support for 120hz in general for me and it seems to properly handle 120hz under other resolutions than the displays native resolution. But i got some tiny scanlines going over my screen horizontally and the driver somehow disables my monitors contrast and brightness control, forcing it back to the panels factory preset.

Thats all good and i can work that way but it would be nice to have it working like it should if anyone is good enough to know theire way around these things. im very new to linux and not sure exactly what to expect, the way to have things working and its limitations. Usually, if this happened in windows i would just trash the driver and get one that is working properly, not tweak my way around it.

About the other versions of the drivers... they give me monitor control and the scanlines are gone, but they dont provide proper support for 120hz, resetting the monitor back to 60hz every time i boot or go out of a fullscreen game, and does not support 120hz in other resolutions than the panels native resolution. Like i have to force 120hz and its not really supported.

Should i just stick with 195 since its working ok or should i hunt down and tweak around my new system unawaringly in getting it to work properly or? I like doing this but i kinda dont wanna mess up things and do everything over again...

thanks
dek8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 07:49 PM   #2
bones_was_here

Default Re: Best driver for 120hz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek8 View Post
im very new to linux and not sure exactly what to expect, the way to have things working and its limitations.
Graphics drivers for Linux (any GPU) are often problematic in some way, but it should usually be possible to do some workaround to get it running properly. Get used to editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf (this must be done as root!)

In this case, you probably need to manually set the refresh rate, rather than allowing the nvidia driver to automatically pick refresh rate settings. The relevant sections from my xorg.conf look like this:
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Dell Alienware2310"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 140.0
    VertRefresh     120
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 275"
    Option         "UseEdidFreqs" "no"
EndSection
The important lines are VertRefresh and UseEdidFreqs.

I'm using driver version 256.35 and don't get any visual artifacts (it's not possible to use pre- 256 series drivers with the Dell 2310, because the brightness is set at 100% and changing it is disabled).
You need to restart Xorg to get changes to xorg.conf to be applied.

EDIT: if you break xorg.conf and can't start Xorg anymore, delete it and run nvidia-xconfig to generate it again.
bones_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 02:41 PM   #3
dek8

thanks man, Option "UseEdidFreqs" "no" fixed it.
using 256 now, scanlines gone and it goes to 120hz on all resolutions.

....I have another 60hz lcd hooked to it, not using it right now, just wondering, in nvidia applet it says CRT, should i add another

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"

manually?
I had trouble setting it up with its native resolution last time i tried.
dek8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 10:54 PM   #4
bones_was_here

Probably you're looking to use twinview, you can use nvidia-settings to configure xorg.conf appropriately but it needs to be started as root so it can write to the file, so run sudo nvidia-settings in a terminal.

It sounds like your second display is using VGA - this causes it to be shown as a CRT and it doesn't work as well with regard to autodetecting the panel specs. If you can, use DVI for both displays, but either way you can set the native resolution manually when you configure twinview.
bones_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote