Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-20-10, 07:41 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Might be changing phones soon

Was in ATT store today, and after one year of two year contract I can update to that Samsung Galaxy S phone for 275.

Right now I have windows mobile phone.

I was wondering how and If is it possible to sync android phone with outlook?
Old 08-20-10, 08:36 PM   #2
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Might be changing phones soon

Use Touchdown.

Honestly, best way to go if you have security settings on the network.

Alternatively, this thread has some nice alternative tips.

http://www.talkandroid.com/android-f...-sync-tip.html
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 10:37 PM   #3
betterdan

I can only get my wife's Garminfone to sync up to her work email by using Touchdown.
Old 08-21-10, 01:53 AM   #4
HiCZoK4

ive readed that galaxy S is great phone. Best android device
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 04:07 AM   #5
Toss3
.<<o>>.

I'd wait til the end of September before buying the Galaxy S as that way you'd know for sure if the lag and GPS were fixed by Samsung or not. Gingerbread is also launching in October, so you might want to wait and see what kind of devices other manufacturers have in store for us come the holiday season.

Not saying the Galaxy S is a bad phone by any means, but it has some flaws that certainly shouldn't be there.
Old 08-23-10, 05:41 PM   #6
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Gingerbread is also launching in October, so you might want to wait and see what kind of devices other manufacturers have in store for us come the holiday season.
A new version of android is always right around the corner, hell I think its upwards of twice per year that there's a new major revision to android being released. Often if the phone is new enough the manufacturer will provide an upgrade. If not there's always AOSP; I just installed froyo (CyanogenMod6) on my brother's HTC Hero recently.

Quote:
Not saying the Galaxy S is a bad phone by any means, but it has some flaws that certainly shouldn't be there.
This can be said for *any* phone. The HTC Evo for example has an issue where the frame rate is capped at 30 and there is noticeable input latency on the touch sensors. Third party modifications have corrected these issues though.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 10:14 AM   #7
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
A new version of android is always right around the corner, hell I think its upwards of twice per year that there's a new major revision to android being released. Often if the phone is new enough the manufacturer will provide an upgrade. If not there's always AOSP; I just installed froyo (CyanogenMod6) on my brother's HTC Hero recently.
Hmm so you're saying that it would be better for him to buy an expensive phone now a month before a major revision of the android OS is released than to wait a month and get something even better for the same amount of money(especially now that gingerbread is going to allow for higher resolution screens)? If this was a month ago I would have agreed with you, but now that Gingerbread is just a month away I'd recommend waiting.

Quote:
This can be said for *any* phone. The HTC Evo for example has an issue where the frame rate is capped at 30 and there is noticeable input latency on the touch sensors. Third party modifications have corrected these issues though.
No android phone currently on the market is worth buying unless you really need a new phone. They all have their share of problems and all of the HTC models are seriously underpowered due to their crappy gpus. The Galaxy S has an unusable GPS and suffers from some lag(appears to have been improved somewhat with the latest jm6 fw).

Gingerbread is also going to bring stricter hardware restrictions which should translate into better support for these phones from the devs.
Old 08-24-10, 12:23 PM   #8
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
If this was a month ago I would have agreed with you, but now that Gingerbread is just a month away I'd recommend waiting.
Just because a new version of Android is going to be released, doesn't mean it's going to go out to users immediately. It can take months for updates to be made available through official channels. Personally, I don't want to mess with rooting and/or installing OS updates from 3rd-party releases.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-10, 02:21 PM   #9
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Just because a new version of Android is going to be released, doesn't mean it's going to go out to users immediately. It can take months for updates to be made available through official channels. Personally, I don't want to mess with rooting and/or installing OS updates from 3rd-party releases.
I doubt gingerbread is going to bring many improvements over froyo on older phones, but should provide an increase in resolution which is most welcome for larger screens(think 4" with 1024x700). This is the main reason why I urge anyone currently considering buying a phone to wait and see what kinds of announcements we'll get once gingerbread is out in the open. I mean there's really nothing to lose as all of the currently available android phones have issues that could potentially be fixed by the end of September, and if not you'll be glad you didn't spend your hard-earned cash on a phone that doesn't work as it should.
Old 08-24-10, 02:25 PM   #10
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

i will wait, but not just because gingerbread. even if gingerbread gets released in october, by the time phones are announced and released by local carriers we will have spring 2011 probably.
Old 08-24-10, 02:30 PM   #11
Rakeesh

Quote:
Hmm so you're saying that it would be better for him to buy an expensive phone now a month before a major revision of the android OS is released than to wait a month and get something even better for the same amount of money(especially now that gingerbread is going to allow for higher resolution screens)? If this was a month ago I would have agreed with you, but now that Gingerbread is just a month away I'd recommend waiting.
It's not a month away, rather a month is the minimum time til release, more realistically around 2-4 months away. And even then, you won't see it on any retail phones for yet more time to come.

Quote:
They all have their share of problems and all of the HTC models are seriously underpowered due to their crappy gpus.
The HTC Evo uses a snapdragon processor. Its integrated GPU (AMD Z430) is pretty powerful for a mobile phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
i will wait, but not just because gingerbread. even if gingerbread gets released in october, by the time phones are announced and released by local carriers we will have spring 2011 probably.
And honeycomb (the version after gingerbread) is scheduled for 2011.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 02:37 PM   #12
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

evo is sprint only