Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-10, 03:40 AM   #1
VLJ

Post Support for Xorg without Xinerama extension ? (+ Meego on Nvidia card)

Hello AaronP and others Nvidia employee on nvnews.net,

I wanted to have a look at Meego but Nvidia hardware are classified as "non supported" on the Meego website. This is true as Xorg fails to launch when installing a stock Meego.

After having spend some time, I managed to get it work at last :

http://wiki.meego.com/User:Vljn

(Note : this shows that nvidia drivers are perfectly able to run with a rootless Xorg because Meego's one is started with just user privilege).
I had to re-enable Xinerama in stock Meego Xorg however, otherwise nvidia.ko complains about missing symbol.

Would it be possible to ship a version of nvidia driver that would work without support for Xinerama in X? I think most people use rather Twinview instead of Xinerama, and it is quite unobvious that Xinerama is a requirement for driver installation rather than a optional feature.
It would make installation of Nvidia drivers on netbook oriented distro easier.

Regards,
Vincent
VLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 11:07 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Support for Xorg without Xinerama extension ? (+ Meego on Nvidia card)

No, we have no plans to support custom builds of the driver for nonstandard X configurations. Also, TwinView and Xinerama solve different problems and are not mutually exclusive.

The claim that disabling Xinerama support in X improves boot times is dubious at best. Is there any evidence to support that?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 06:43 AM   #3
VLJ

Default Re: Support for Xorg without Xinerama extension ? (+ Meego on Nvidia card)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
The claim that disabling Xinerama support in X improves boot times is dubious at best. Is there any evidence to support that?
Unfortunatly no.
The decision to disable xinerama in Xorg is a uncommon decision that was inherited from Moblin project. When asking why this is the case, I was told it allowed to accelerate boot time. There is no benchmark AFAIK.

However Meego is very Intel centric (sse3 lock, no gfx drivers but intel's one) so it seems unrealistic to ask for re-enabling xinerama in upstream Xorg Meego.
VLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 11:41 AM   #4
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLJ View Post
Unfortunatly no.
The decision to disable xinerama in Xorg is a uncommon decision that was inherited from Moblin project. When asking why this is the case, I was told it allowed to accelerate boot time. There is no benchmark AFAIK.
With the X boot speed up that Adam Jackson did back for the 1.5 server, this should be old news.

Maybe you will need to go the nouveau route?
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote