Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-10, 10:13 AM   #13
Stephen Warren

Default Re: ION and HDMI/Optical Audio

To the best of my knowledge, there's no way to work around this while still using the UseEDID option.

Can't you set the custom resolution without specifying UseEDID? Perhaps your custom mode fails validation based on EDID constraints such as H/Vsync frequency? There are some other options to turn off that validation, without preventing the EDID from being read. See the driver README.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 10:20 AM   #14
88fingerslukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there's no way to work around this while still using the UseEDID option.

Can't you set the custom resolution without specifying UseEDID? Perhaps your custom mode fails validation based on EDID constraints such as H/Vsync frequency? There are some other options to turn off that validation, without preventing the EDID from being read. See the driver README.
Hmm, I guess I haven't really tried. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know what happens.
88fingerslukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 05:56 PM   #15
88fingerslukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerslukee View Post
Hmm, I guess I haven't really tried. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know what happens.

Holy freaking crap it works! Unreal.

If you look at the xorg.conf file that I pasted in the previous message, all I did was comment out the UseEDIDModes line and it's now working. Along with my custom resolution as well.

Quick question...when I do

speaker-test -c 8

i get the sounds but some of the speakers are mapped incorrectly. Any idea how I would go about mapping the speakers properly?

thanks so much guys. I was banging my head against the wall for ever on this one.
88fingerslukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 06:04 PM   #16
Stephen Warren

Unfortunately, ALSA and the ION HW disagree about the order of channels within a stream. You may be able to fix this by some kind of channel mapping ALSA plugin. There is some discussion on the ALSA mailing list about exposing channel-mapping APIs to allow this to be automatically fixed. However, it's very early days yet on this topic, I think. Sorry.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 03:50 AM   #17
primerib

Glad to hear it's working now! As far as the ALSA channel-mapping API, I really hope it happens. I'm pretty optimistic it will because it would be absurd not to fix it and leave everyone with screwed up channels. Watching movies in surround sound with improper channel mapping gets damn annoying.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote