Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-12-03, 06:26 PM   #1
binxboll

Default blank screen in dual head

I have a RH9 system with a 2.4.23-pre7 kernel and the nvidia 4493 driver installed on a Dell Optiplex GX270. One video card is a GeForce4 MX 440 connected to a Dell FP1800 flat panel through the DVI output. The other card is a Matrox Millenium PCI. X starts up without an error. But I have a recurring problem with the flat panel display. Occasionally it works fine. But frequently it just stays blank. X thinks it has two working displays. The logs display no errors or warnings. The mouse seems to move onto the flat panel. I can log on using an invisible dialog box on the nvidia head. The other display, a CRT, always works fine. Windows XP always works with both video cards enabled.

I really don't think my X config file is broken. As I said above, sometimes it magically works and I get a fully functioning dual head system. The logs don't change between the times when the second display works and doesn't work. I have tried enabling and disabling nvagp, without effect. I have tried switching the screen order without effect. I have tried changing a bios setting which affects which card is enabled at startup. Again, no effect. What else could be going on here? I am getting exasperated.

Thanks.
binxboll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-03, 10:14 AM   #2
binxboll

I remember now that I was wrong about switching the bios setting. It does have an effect, but not a good one. When the bios sets the PCI card to primary, X always starts. Sometimes it gives a blank lcd screen which is now on the secondary nvidia card. But when the bios sets the nvidia agp card to primary, X sometimes starts successfully, with both screens working. But more often it displays the nvidia logo and locks up the whole machine. I have to do a hard reset. Needless to say, I prefer the first bios setting (PCI card is primary).

Is this likely to be just a bad mobo/video card combination? That would be disappointing since this is a Dell factory configuration.
binxboll is offline   Reply With Quote