Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-10, 07:35 AM   #13
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
interesting... they do seem to run kind cheap huh. Still I don't think I would run out and buy 2 for sli. Sli is quite unreliable in performance gains.. and usualy dosn't exceed a %60 increase. It's like SLI'ing 2 8300 gts cards so you could have the power of an 8600. ^^

It would be nice if they could poot one of these out at the $99 level for that family computer thats capable of running all your fav MMOs and online games.
Apparently you've missed all the articles about the superior scaling with the Fermi generation parts. Allow me to assist:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...80,2694-9.html
Notice how the average scaling across the five games they tested is close to 100%?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0,2694-11.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Hardware
Because SLI scales so well, giving two GeForce GTX 460 1GB graphics cards a 90% performance boost over a single card, the value for two cards together is very similar to what earned the single GeForce GTX 460 1GB its previous Recommended Buy award.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...5870_cfx_5760/
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardOCP
When two of these Galaxy GTX 460 1GB video cards are combined in a system and SLI is enabled we have witnessed incredible gaming performance that surpasses even the competition's high-end video card solutions in CrossFireX configurations. This SLI scaling is a true wakeup call for AMD, begging for better multi-GPU CrossFireX scaling efficiency.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...&limitstart=20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark Reviews
As this article has proven, SLI is not only possible - it's ideal.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-sli-review/18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru3d
With the more GPU stringent resolutions and modern games you can quite easily gain 1.8x ~ 1.9x performance with two of these 200 USD cards.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1364/1/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legit Reviews
NVIDIA is showing any where from 60-90% scaling on the GeForce GTX 460 graphics cards across a range of seven popular PC game titles.
And that's worst case single monitor- 25X16.

You would be right about Crossfire Scaling- it's very poor oftentimes when it works, and doesn't work at all sometimes. Worse yet after years of CF, the guys at ATi still don't let users create profiles or force any render method. You could make your argument about CF, but not SLi.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,2622-14.html
Look how poorly the 5870s do in CF due to their uneven and low scaling. Also, the 5870CF had trouble with two games!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Hardware
We’re going to use 2560x1600 without anti-aliasing enabled here, since the Radeon HD 5870s specifically have issues in Crysis and Metro 2033 at that resolution.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 07:42 AM   #14
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
So do the very reliable "leaked slides from China" take into account the wide range of clock speeds on these parts NP?

Or DX11 performance?

Superior SLi scaling?

Just asking.
You know those slides are real Rollo, don't even try to pretend they aren't.

Of course, there is always overclocked models and such, but that applies both ways. I doubt the DX11 performance is much better outside of handpicked bench programs, as it supposedly only has one GPC, and thus has the same setup rate as the competition. In fact, I would guess its worse in games, as if I recall correctly, it can only do 8 pixel tri/clock vs 32 pixel tri/clock on ATI. Just a guess though.

Crossfire/SLI scaling are pretty similar, NV tends to be ahead on profiles though, I'll give you that.

While you're hinting at things, is there anything new high-end in the pipe from NV? My 5870 is approaching the year mark, thats about replacement time for me...
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 07:46 AM   #15
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
I'm trying to figure out why they are for sale at newegg but the NDA is still in effect...?
Hard to say.

However, I will say I reconfigured one of my boxes yesterday to SLi and saw some very nice scaling with some cards I couldn't quite make out the model number of.

If these cards are anything like those, they might make an interesting SLi budget gamers combo. With only one 6 pin power connector each, obviously heat and power won't be an issue.

So you get 384 cores at 780-880MHz on two 6 pin for $260 with pre launch day pricing- not too shabby!
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 07:49 AM   #16
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
You know those slides are real Rollo, don't even try to pretend they aren't.

Of course, there is always overclocked models and such, but that applies both ways. I doubt the DX11 performance is much better outside of handpicked bench programs, as it supposedly only has one GPC, and thus has the same setup rate as the competition. In fact, I would guess its worse in games, as if I recall correctly, it can only do 8 pixel tri/clock vs 32 pixel tri/clock on ATI. Just a guess though.

Crossfire/SLI scaling are pretty similar, NV tends to be ahead on profiles though, I'll give you that.

While you're hinting at things, is there anything new high-end in the pipe from NV? My 5870 is approaching the year mark, thats about replacement time for me...
Sorry NP, cannot comment on unreleased products.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 08:10 AM   #17
ragejg
nV News Alumni
 
ragejg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Finger Lakes of Hell, NY
Posts: 5,399
Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

You're sorta dancing the fine line on your NDA, Rollo.
__________________

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU


______________________________________________
Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch


ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 08:22 AM   #18
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
You're sorta dancing the fine line on your NDA, Rollo.
Would not be the first time.

OTOH, I don't think I've said anything specific about my impressions of any unreleased product. I've extrapolated my suppositions from specs on newegg, and the SLi scaling of other products.

Heck, who knows if I even have 450s? I get unlabelled cards in a static bag, I only observed using two of these mystery cards seemed to be faster than one. They could be 5770s for all I know.....

__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 08:48 AM   #19
Vardant
 
Vardant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: EU
Posts: 1,041
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

It looks like you can stop Rollo - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...5&postcount=84

Not bad, not bad at all.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 11:35 AM   #20
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,816
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Looks like 450 sli could match if not edge out a 460. Although the power usage is about the same per card, I think if you have a nice enough psu to run 2 450's, you are already running 2 460's or better.
__________________
_________________________________________________
Mobo: EVGA 122-ck-nf68 680i sli, CPU: C2D Quad 6600, Video: EVGA GTX 460 1gb SC, Sound: X-fi gaming, Windows 7, Antec P180b,Thermalright Ultra-120 HSF, Antec TruPower TP3-650, 4 Gigs RAM
jeffmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-10, 01:16 PM   #21
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
It looks like you can stop Rollo - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...5&postcount=84

Not bad, not bad at all.
If those Tweaktown numbers are accurate, the OC 450s look like a better buy than 5770s.
(and way better than 5750s)

http://<br /> http://www.youtube.co...?v=RAZqjsSZphE
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 06:09 PM   #22
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
It looks like you can stop Rollo - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...5&postcount=84

Not bad, not bad at all.
I'm sorry to bust your bubble guys, but thats pure marketing BS. They are taking a fanless(and thus lower performance), more expensive 5770, and comparing it to a top end overclocked GTS450. How anyone could feel honestly posting that is beyond me.

They compare a $150 uber OC GTX450 to a underperforming passive cooled 5770 that costs $160. If one just takes a short trip over to newegg, you'll find that a normal stock 5770 with a fan is only $124.99, and performs and overclocks better than the model they used. You'll also see that stock GTX450s that are clocked like 15% under the one in the review there are $129, $5 more than a 5770.

Even in their lopsided test, it only wins in 3 games that are classicly NV-slanted.

Bottom line, it beats a 5750, but is ~$25 more money, it doesn't beat a 5770 in a real comparison, for about the same money. Not even to mention power consumption, if you're someone who cares about that, the overclocked GTX450 they use needs about as much power as a GTX460 to achieve the performance level they are benching, which I might remind people is about the same as a 5850, which is well above both in performance. The 5770 beats it with around 25% less power.

Make better chips, spend less on marketing NV.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 07:01 PM   #23
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Ah but NP, it's still a WAY better buy than the 5770 even if the performance is only the same and the price is the same.

Are all the websites cheering ATi's scaling and multi GPU compatibility? No, they're lauding NVIDIA's multi GPU.

Can you accelerate Adobe CS with ATi? Nope.

Run a multitude of GPGPU apps? No.

Play your MafiaII (and other games) in optomized 3d? No.

Use AA in games like Batman AA? Nope.

Use cool PhysX effects in many games to increase immersion? No again.

ATi cards should cost a lot less because they give you so much less.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 07:28 PM   #24
JasonPC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,103
Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Is a 450 even powerful enough to use for 3D and Physx (while being the main renderer)........ These features you list are mainly enthusiast grade options that are likely going to be run with more powerful cards.

I know the 450 was more a replacement for the 250 and not exactly after the 5770's spot, but considering how long the 5770 has been out, it would have been nice to see slightly better performance. It's still a really nice card and one that could definitely be suggested over the 5770 due to superior multi-GPU support. It might come out looking a lot better in an SLI review (any out there?).
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.