Old 09-12-10, 05:00 PM   #13
Licaon

Default Re: Severe slowness after switching to 256.44

260.19.04 too?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 03:09 AM   #14
Tomasu

All I can see about 260 on the forums is that it causes even more slowdowns But I can try it.

Though theres a chance KDE has worked arround this particular bug. It seems driver makers don't seem to realize that things might want to cache a lot of pixmaps in the graphics card. So KDE's Oxygen widget theme has had to hack in a way to cache less. Hopefully the change will help. But I'll test 260 first, then the oxygen changes.
Tomasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 09:02 AM   #15
Ralph

Incredibly, the main developer of the Oxygen graphics effects claims to have only a PC with Intel graphics; consequently, he says he can not test the behavior of nVidia and AMD/ATI cards!
Such an assertion is a folly in a world dominated almost entirely by video cards from nVidia and AMD/ATI.

The KDE4 project also receives money from Nokia; this money could be used also to buy some new PC with nVidia or AMD/ATI cards ...

http://hugo-kde.blogspot.com/2010/09...-and-call.html
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 09:23 AM   #16
Tomasu

Actually, your statement about the world being dominated by AMD and NVidia graphics cards is 100% false. There is probably 10x more intel gpus right now than AMD and NVidia combined.
Old 09-13-10, 10:07 AM   #17
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasu View Post
Actually, your statement about the world being dominated by AMD and NVidia graphics cards is 100% false. There is probably 10x more intel gpus right now than AMD and NVidia combined.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/30dayshare.html
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 10:12 AM   #18
Tomasu

Intel makes very few if any actual descreet graphics cards. Get them to include all laptops, netbooks, motherboards, cpus, and other devices with an intel gpu in it, and get back to us.

You do realize that only includes info from people running passmark benchmarks right? Hardly inclusive.
Old 09-13-10, 06:28 PM   #19
xps8700

Unhappy Re: Severe slowness after switching to 256.44

IMO who has the biggest chunk of the sales pie is not that important, what matters the most to me is the fact that every new version of the nvidia driver bring new problems and things are getting slower and slower... who's fault it is? I sure dont know, but I would like to see it getting better...

I'm in the same boat and all I can say right now is that I am stuck between using the recent drivers that are slow like hell & apparently dont support SLI on my machine (dell xpsm1730) and the older drivers (pre 185 series) that would support the SLI but I cant install it because of a bug of some sort with the nvidia installer.... (does not see my kernel sources properly)
xps8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 01:39 PM   #20
ppurka

I have also been experiencing slowdown in general X performance for all the drivers after 195.36.*

This slowdown has nothing to do with composite (composite simply hastens up the process). It also has nothing to do with kde or oxygen.

My setup is enlightenment-DR17 with no composite. 256.x becomes progressively slower if I remain logged on for two days or more. With 195.36.24, I have been logged in for 5 days continuously with zero slowdown.

The following video I made a few weeks ago using 256.53 shows the slowdown: urxvt takes some time to redraw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUE4asXqME
Although it is not in the video, switching windows using alt-tab and switching desktops are also not smooth.

Just for the record: Xorg version 1.7.7

Last edited by ppurka; 09-18-10 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Xorg version
ppurka is offline   Reply With Quote