Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-11-10, 03:09 AM   #1
chicky462

Default "Buffer overrun" with Call of Duty 1 United Offensive on Ubuntu Lucid with 195.36.xx

Hi,

since I installed a fresh Ubuntu Lucid (10.04), I'm not able to run Call of Duty 1 United Offensive any longer. When I start the game, the following error message appears:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Buffer Overrun detected!

Program: C:\Programme\Call of Duty\CoDUOMP.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue and must now be terminated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a Gainward Geforce 8400 GS and I tried both the 195.36.15 from the official Ubuntu repositories (nvidia-current) and the 195.36.24 from the Xswat ppa. The nvidia bugreport is attached.

With the previous Ubuntu release Karmic and the 185.xx drivers, everything worked fine. Thus, I assume that the 195.36.xx drivers are buggy. Unfortunately, I didn't succeed in downgrading to the 185.xx or 190.xx drivers under Ubuntu Lucid, neither with repos nor with the drivers from the Nvidia homepage.

Does somebody know how to downgrade the Nvidia drivers or how to otherwise solve the buffer overrun problem?

Thanks very much in advance.

Thorsten
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (69.5 KB, 196 views)
chicky462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 07:33 AM   #2
deeck

Default Re: "Buffer overrun" with Call of Duty 1 United Offensive on Ubuntu Lucid with 195.36

i have the same issue, i have been trying to compile 185xx drivers, but no success.
its tricky, because 185xx drivers are not made for currents kernels, uses gcc-4.3...

im using debian right now, the debian last legacy is 173xx, that is too old.
if you use ubuntu, why you cant downgrade with apt?
deeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 10:50 AM   #3
gradinaruvasile

Default Re: "Buffer overrun" with Call of Duty 1 United Offensive on Ubuntu Lucid with 195.36

Installing any versions is easy - just d/l the installer from nvidia's site and run it. Make sure you uninstalled everything nvidia related packages before.

The gcc problem is also easy to circumvent - just install the gcc version required then replace the /usr/bin/gcc link with the version you want.
Example:

You have gcc-4.4 as default (latest version now), but the kernel was compiled with 4.3 (Debian kernels). Install the gcc version required by the installer:

sudo aptitude install gcc-4.3

Then:

sudo rm /usr/bin/gcc

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.3 /usr/bin/gcc

Dont worry the /usr/bin/gcc is only a link to the default system-wide gcc version.
The real executables are /usr/bin/gcc-4.4 or /usr/bin/gcc-4.3 depending on the version.

Thats it. Run the nvidia installer. Make sure gdm or x is not running.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 10:59 AM   #4
chicky462

Hello,

thanks a lot for your answers.

In the meanwhile, after spending hours on trying to make the outdated drivers wok, I found out that the good old Geforce 6600 GT works with Call of Duty 1 and the current nVidia drivers. So I bought a used 6600 GT and am happy now :-)
chicky462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 02:00 PM   #5
rettw

Apparently this is still an issue in the latest non-beta official linux drivers (256.53). This issue also occurred in the Windows Drivers near the 19X release, but is since fixed. Can we get the same fix for the Linux drivers please?
rettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 02:57 PM   #6
conky

From the driver README/knownissues.html:
Quote:
Some applications, such as Quake 3, crash after querying the OpenGL extension string

Some applications have bugs that are triggered when the extension string is longer than a certain size. As more features are added to the driver, the length of this string increases and can trigger these sorts of bugs.

You can limit the extensions listed in the OpenGL extension string to the ones that appeared in a particular version of the driver by setting the __GL_ExtensionStringVersion environment variable to a particular version number. For example,

__GL_ExtensionStringVersion=17700 quake3

will run Quake 3 with the extension string that appeared in the 177.* driver series. Limiting the size of the extension string can work around this sort of application bug.
Have you tried this type of workaround?
conky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 08:09 PM   #7
rettw

Thanks for the quick response - your suggestion works. I am able to run COD1 without issue with the environment variable set like the readme file suggests. I guess I need to check the README a little more thoroughly next time.

Thanks
rettw is offline   Reply With Quote