Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-10, 10:17 AM   #13
slackkeymike

Default Re: Slow GTX 465

I'm very much frustrated by this issue. AFAIK, this is either a hardware problem, or a driver problem. Could it be a header problem? I have compiled all my s/w in glx mode (meaning it uses the hardware as opposed to the mesa interface). Far as I can tell, this 465 should be smoking the 9800 and it is not happening. All I have left to me is to send the card back for a replacement.

Mike
slackkeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 11:23 AM   #14
slackkeymike

Ah, just noticed something. My PSU is 550 watts. Does not seem to cause power-up issues, but I am wondering if I am not getting enough power to the card... anybody know if this is a possibility?

Mike
Old 09-16-10, 08:24 PM   #15
bones_was_here

Modern CPU and GPU voltage regulators run from the 12v rail. You could add up the approximate amperage required by each component that draws power from the 12v rail, and compare against your PSU's rated current output. GPU and CPU TDP specs are readily available. If you have a multimeter, or your mainboard provides 12v rail monitoring, you could monitor the voltage whilst heavily loading the GPU and both CPU cores. If your PSU has multiple 12v rails, it's possible that one rail is heavily loaded whilst the other is only lightly used.

Have you tried using a newer kernel? 2.6.9 is _ancient_.
bones_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 11:19 PM   #16
slackkeymike

Well, not the PS, stuck it in a similar machine with an antec 850. Same result. So how could the kernel affect this?
Old 09-17-10, 05:52 PM   #17
slackkeymike

Well, for anybody paying attention, I have finally gotten to the bottom of it. A friend who knows someone at nvidia found out that they are not optimizing the pci-e bus. My application removes frame data from the card on every render. When I turned that feature off, rates went up by the margins I expected. This class of card is apparently optimized for the gamers and so on. Perhaps it will get better later with newer drivers.
Old 09-22-10, 02:36 PM   #18
slackkeymike

I respect the fact that you guys are not interested in my problem... question is, where can I go to get more attention? Especially from nVidia engineers...

Thanks!

Mike
Old 09-23-10, 01:37 AM   #19
Ulukai

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackkeymike View Post
I respect the fact that you guys are not interested in my problem... question is, where can I go to get more attention? Especially from nVidia engineers...

Thanks!

Mike
Why wouldn't we be interested in your topic? Everybody might run sooner or later into a similar problem and we can all learn from reading this thread. Just because we don't have all the answers, that doesn't mean we're not interested

So if I understand it right, you had to change your app to make it work correctly on your card? Anyway, this should be the place where it is the easiest to come in touch with the Nvidia Linux devs. They read the forum (maybe not as thoroughly as we sometimes hope for ) and try to respond when they can. I'm not aware of a more direct way.
Ulukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 03:41 PM   #20
slackkeymike

Well, we had a little bit of money leftover (material budget) so we thought we would get a Fermi card and test it with our scene generator. We really thought there would be a noticable improvement in render speed. And, as it finally turned out, there is... just so long as you are not trying to read the data off the card after every render frame! I bet there is no such problem with the Tesla cards as they are specifically designed for computational stuff. And I am seriously hoping that the hardware itself has not been hobbled (or designed down) since most gamers probably could care less about getting data off the card. So at this point, I am hoping it is a driver issue, one that Nvidia will fix in time.

So, if an Nvidia engineer happens to read this, I really would appreciate an answer to this.

Thanks!

Mike

Old 09-24-10, 04:22 PM   #21
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

That's correct, games don't typically read back massive amounts of data from the framebuffer, so the GeForce GPUs are not designed for that usage pattern. What you want is, as you mentioned, a Tesla or a Quadro.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 05:11 PM   #22
slackkeymike

Apparently, they used to be. My 280 GTX (and 9800) are very fast on the transfer. Something has changed. It was either a marketing decision (why provide fast transfer rates on a gamer card?) or a driver decision (we'll get to it later).

I would lover to buy a higher end card... but those things are expensive (so is time... I know.) I'm gonna start studying the quadro cars. I guess I would just be happier if SOMEONE at Nvidia would address this. Because in the specs, it claims full PCIe support. Do you all get what I am saying? It used to work in the 9xxx and 2xx series cards. What did they do to it when they went to 4xx?

Meantime, I bought a used 285 GTX. No more dumping money with Nvidia till this gets explained.

BTW, there are a couple of reasons for Nvidia to pay attention here. One, is lots of @xxxhome projects (folding, seti, etc) use these cards in computer farms! In these cases, data on and off needs to be fast. Seems the @xxxhome folks could see their volunteers dropping off or at the very least, their performance drop off (as cards die, etc). Another reason for concern is the advent of the GPU/CPU hybrids coming out of Intel/AMD. Those will not be hampered by PCIe transfer rates.

Sorry, it just makes no sense to me. FIX THIS NVIDIA, PLEASE!