Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-03, 02:56 PM   #61
Socos

Quote:
Originally posted by cthellis
And each game represents its OWN ruleset... not ANY OTHER GAME'S ruleset. Their objectives are totally different.

Synthetics are useful so long as you recognize the context. Most synthetics try to concentrate on generalities, and BECAUSE they do so they will be a more useful predictor than looking at a single game--or even a small set of games. Game benches don't even necessarily match up with actual gameplay situations either, so the way you measure performance may be lying to you as well. (Not to mention IHV optimizations may affect their benches but not carry over as much or at ALL to general gameplay.)

Everything has it's place and can be used properly so long as you KNOW what its place is. Nothing is by nature "worthless"--its worth just has to be understood and put in the proper light.

But certainly no one should make an unearthly deal over ONE number--not one synthetic bench, nor one game performance number. (Nor one resolution, nor one quality setting...) That habit is stupid no matter what you're talking about.
But you get down to this: Does the Synthetic truly represent actually gameplay results. And I think in the case of 3Dmark the answer is yes. TAOD, preliminary Hl2, and others have shown that PS2.0 doesn't delivery on NV35. I am not sure if the percent difference is the same on TRAOD vs 3Dmark, but it is a sizeable difference.
Old 11-14-03, 04:29 PM   #62
cthellis
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruined
I hope 3dmark keeps changing their code. Means more frequent driver updates for Nvidia users!
<laughs> Indeed. Silver lining, what what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Malfunction
Videocard Industry/Game Dev becoming more like console market:
Yes, and I think this is decidedly a BAD thing. PC's shouldn't be borrowing the worse elements of consoling, and consoles certainly shouldn't be seeking to throw in the downsides of PC gaming either. Convergence will, of course, ALWAYS be happening--but they should certainly be going about it better.

Quote:
Originally posted by Malfunction
Ok, Alot of the Dreamcast games looked better than the PS2. Soul Caliber is one I can think of off the top of my head.
You should probably defrag the top of your head, then. Soul Calibur never appeared on any system but the Dreamcast. Soul Calibur II is a different matter, but that's a generational skip. You might be thinking of Dreamcast's other notable fighter--DOA2--which had a PS2 version in DOA2: Hardcore.
cthellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 04:49 PM   #63
NickSpolec

I think he meant to say that "Alot of Dreamcast games look better then (some) PS2 games."

[size=1][list][*]AthlonXP Mobile 2500+ (@2.5ghz, 1.850v)[*]Albatron KX18D PRO (NForce 2 Ultra @227FSB)[*]512MB's OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL (@DDR454, CAS 2.5, 6,3,3)[*]GeForce3 (@230c, 460m)[*]Fortissimo III, Gamesurround 7.1[*]POS Intel 56k Modem (soon to get high speed, though)[*]Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 120GB, ATA133 (8mb)[*]Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo (52x32x52x16x)[*]Lite-On LTR 16102B (16x8x40x)

[/size][/list]
NickSpolec is offline   Reply With Quote