Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-10, 06:03 AM   #1
JClosed

Default Bad image X3 - Reunion for Linux and 256.xx drivers

After a recent update from the 195.36.24 driver to the 256.53 version I noticed the graphics in the game where very odd. It looks like all textures where lost. For example - with the 195.xx drivers a station is detailed and you can see wiring, tubes, lights etc. However - using the 256.xx drivers all you can see is a woolly "outline" with vague gray swirls inside it (I try to post some pictures later). The spaceship (visible hull) itself is totally black without any texture or detail - just a pitch-black blob.

I tried some older drivers, and I noticed everything went fine until the jump to the 256.xx drivers. Every driver in the 256.xx series gives this bad image.

I am not sure whom to blame here. However - when the game runs without any problem on the 195.xx drivers, and give problems with the 256.xx drivers, it is probably an driver issue.

Until now I can use the older 195.xx drivers, but when older drivers are no longer available in the repositories it will give problems. As a example - Using Fedora 13 and installing a downloaded driver by "hand" gives big, big troubles. Compiling goes wrong, and even if compiling works you can still end up with a totally frozen system after reboot. The only descriptions I can get is for the repository-install.. very frustrating..

Does someone else has this game (X3 - Reunion) and maybe the same problems? And better - has anybody a possible solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance..
JClosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 04:44 AM   #2
JClosed

Default Re: Bad image X3 - Reunion for Linux and 256.xx drivers

I have made some screenshots of the problems. Notice I have tried both 195.x and 256.x drivers on several distro's (openSUSE 11.3, Fedora 13, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva 2010.1 etc.) and the results are the same on every distro. The 195.x drivers give a perfect image, and the 256.x drivers give a terrible image.

Has anyone any idea what is going wrong here? This is really important, because installing the older drivers by hand give problems on some distro's, and that problems can increase if more and more disto's have no native packages because the drivers are too old...

Anyway here are the screenshots:

195.x driver opening screen:

256.x driver opening screen:

195.x playing screen:

256.x playing screen:

I really hope somebody can tell me what is wrong here!
Old 09-25-10, 07:43 AM   #3
tx2rx

I get the same issue with:
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 256.53

tx2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 05:17 PM   #4
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClosed View Post
For example - with the 195.xx drivers a station is detailed and you can see wiring, tubes, lights etc. However - using the 256.xx drivers all you can see is a woolly "outline" with vague gray swirls inside it (I try to post some pictures later). The spaceship (visible hull) itself is totally black without any texture or detail - just a pitch-black blob.
260.19.06 too?
can you read http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 and generate a good report with the debug info as instructed after the issue appears ?
also can you attach some sort of X3 console log?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 04:40 AM   #5
JClosed

I will try the 260.19.06 drivers. I think I can make some time today, so you will get your answer within a day or so..

I will see if there are any errors when starting from the console, but -as far as I can remember- I did not see anything unusual when I tried that before. I will try to attach the asked files.

Be back soon...
Old 09-26-10, 05:48 AM   #6
JClosed

Alright - I tried the 260.19.06 drivers, and they seem to work in openSUSE without any problem.

Unfortunately - they are (not yet) available any repository for Fedora 13, so I have to figure out how to install the driver " by hand" (or using the old 195.x driver for as long as there are kernel driver package updates available). Problem is - there are no good descriptions how to install a driver " by hand" in Fedora 13. All descriptions are for the repository install, and if I use the standard install I use with all other distro' s everything locks up and I cannot even use the terminal to log in. I have no idea how to do this correct in Fedora. Anybody has a good description?

Oh - and there where no error messages in the terminal window for all drivers (195.x, 256.x, 260.x), exept in Mandriva -you get something about cranberra- but that seems to make no difference. So - no error messages at all.

Anyway - you asked for the report, and here it is below.

Hope this is enough information.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (48.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-26-10, 10:57 AM   #7
MeisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClosed View Post
Anybody has a good description?
Guide to build nvidia-260.19.06 rpm's
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=237118
MeisterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 12:52 PM   #8
JClosed

I will definitely take a closer look at it. At first glance it does not seem to be that complicated, so I think this will be the answer for now...

Thank you very much..

Still - I am very curious what is the cause of the problem. What is happening in the 256.x driver that is creating this strange image? Although it is not longer critical, I would like to know if there is a answer to that question..