Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-10, 12:48 PM   #25
Lunarx3dfx

Default Re: Optimus support for Linux

I don't know about most Optimus laptops out there, but mine does not have an option in the bios to manually switch, but based on my understanding of how Optimus operates it's impossible to manually switch anyway. The NVIDIA chip writes to the frame buffer of the intel chip.

Also, I'm sure NVIDIA has plans to implement Optimus in Linux, but like most things, companies always have that standard response of "No comment" or "We aren't working on it" but I'm sure they are. They would be stupid not to, especially considering that they have a monopoly on the linux marketshare. They will want to keep that.

-Laptop
Alienware m11x R2, Intel Core i7, 4 GB, GeForce GT 335M
Lunarx3dfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 09:34 AM   #26
Eiken

This is seriously really really bad. Registered to this forum just so i could subscribe to this thread and hope on improvements.
Eiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 04:03 AM   #27
hellas66

I swore years ago that I will only buy nVidia graphics in the future because of its support for Linux.

Now ... after not being to able to report for months anything positive about Optimus on Linux, I can just say that I hope that you will change your mind. My next notebook will have Intel graphics.
hellas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 05:12 AM   #28
P.Kosunen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas66 View Post
My next notebook will have Intel graphics.
Intel is the reason of this Optimus-crap is needed in first place because it's forcing manufacturers to buy their chipset integrated gpu's...
P.Kosunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 08:04 AM   #29
gradinaruvasile

Quote:
My next notebook will have Intel graphics.
Better buy Ati, they at least make worthwile GPUs...
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-10, 03:02 PM   #30
milmly
MilMly

Unhappy Re: Optimus support for Linux

AaronP can you inform us in what state is development of Optimus support for Linux? I think we all waited enough and we would like to know whether we should sell our laptops or you plan to support Optimus on Linux in near future. Thanks in advance
milmly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 04:02 PM   #31
rdusan

Unhappy Re: Optimus support for Linux

Hello,

I am registering to this forum just to say how I am disappointed about this whole Optimus situation. I believe that there are many people interested in solving this problem even though there are no much requests and demands for it (probably because they are not used to do so like ones in Windows forums).

Well, we do not need that fancy hot switching between the graphics! We just need to be able to use nVidia adapter! How much trouble would it be to make dummy Intel driver that just copies output from nVidia's and modify nVidia driver to detect the dGPU? (I'm simplifying, but that is the essence )

Best regards,
Dušan Radivojević
rdusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 04:02 PM   #32
Jeff91

Quote:
I swore years ago that I will only buy nVidia graphics in the future because of its support for Linux.

Now ... after not being to able to report for months anything positive about Optimus on Linux, I can just say that I hope that you will change your mind. My next notebook will have Intel graphics.
+1 for this. I will not be buying nVidia chips any more if the technology they are forcing on vendors isn't going to work properly on my operating system of choice. Even if their isn't the full power saving support enabled - we should at least be able to use the NVIDIA part of the chip...

~Jeff

Old 09-25-10, 05:13 PM   #33
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff91 View Post
+1 for this. I will not be buying nVidia chips any more if the technology they are forcing on vendors isn't going to work properly on my operating system of choice. Even if their isn't the full power saving support enabled - we should at least be able to use the NVIDIA part of the chip...

~Jeff
I have one question: did nVidia ever advertise Optimus as Linux compatible?
Because I only see people saying: I'm afraid that Optimus is not supported in Linux right now.
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 04:57 AM   #34
RazZziel

Seriously, BIOS switch, driver switch, any dirty hack would be fine for me, for now, while Linux support is not complete.

I need to buy a new laptop and nVidia was obviously my first choice, but if I just can't use it, I think I'm going to go with AMD.
RazZziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 07:52 AM   #35
adlorenz

I have recently been given an opportunity to choose a new office laptop by my employer, so without much hesitation I just went to Dell website and configured a laptop "with nvidia" graphics as the first condition. Reason was simple - I've been happily using nvidia-powered laptops for few years before, where I most liked dual-head setup with two independent desktops on each screen - a feature apparently only provided by nvidia, so getting laptop just "with nvidia" was my natural choice...

So, few days later I have ended up with Dell Vostro 3300 which turned out to have Intel 4500HD + nVidia 310M adapters where nvidia just doesn't work at all, and Intel indeed does dual-head (spanned desktop), but... with some other weird VGA-output bug in their driver which renders dual-head virtually useless.

All in all, thanks to new nvidia super-duper optimus/something technology I am now in a bit embarassing position in front of my employer, as I've got laptop which in fact is useless to me without dual-head. And I just wanted "with nvidia" laptop, as I was genuinely sure it would "just work" as I expected.

Huge disappointment is just a mild expression of what I feel after learning about "we're not planning to support..." approach from nvidia people. Simply speaking - I don't care about optimus, smart switching, power saving etc etc etc at all. I just want to get my nvidia adapter with dual-head working and this is what I just expect from installing nvidia proprietary driver.

Is this that hard to implement, really?
Old 09-27-10, 10:25 AM   #36
pootle

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlorenz View Post
I just want to get my nvidia adapter with dual-head working and this is what I just expect from installing nvidia proprietary driver.[/b]

Is this that hard to implement, really?
Probably, yes, and if you read around you will see the problem is wider than just the nvidia chipset (which is presumably why nvidia aren't committing to support). There's work going on outside nVidia though, and for some machines at least, there are workarounds. Depends on the distro you are using - just do a search for distro hybrid graphics with your machine name. You may be lucky.
pootle is offline   Reply With Quote