Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-27-10, 11:33 AM   #37
adlorenz

Default Re: Optimus support for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootle View Post
Probably, yes, and if you read around you will see the problem is wider than just the nvidia chipset (which is presumably why nvidia aren't committing to support). There's work going on outside nVidia though, and for some machines at least, there are workarounds. Depends on the distro you are using - just do a search for distro hybrid graphics with your machine name. You may be lucky.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm using Fedora 13 and I've already joined linux-hybrid-graphics list on launchpad. Hopefully some workaround will appear soon'ish...
Old 09-29-10, 10:30 AM   #38
luk1don

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlorenz View Post
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm using Fedora 13 and I've already joined linux-hybrid-graphics list on launchpad. Hopefully some workaround will appear soon'ish...
Fedora 14 Alpha and Ubuntu 10.10 Beta have vga_switcheroo working default but I don't know about full support different laptops (and Optimus technology). I don't know why AaronP talks about no support because it is not NVIDIA problem but that is general linux kernel problem. Maybe not?
May try to build acpi_call module from git or vga_switcheroo module from git...
luk1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 01:04 PM   #39
adlorenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk1don View Post
Fedora 14 Alpha and Ubuntu 10.10 Beta have vga_switcheroo working default but I don't know about full support different laptops (and Optimus technology). I don't know why AaronP talks about no support because it is not NVIDIA problem but that is general linux kernel problem. Maybe not?
May try to build acpi_call module from git or vga_switcheroo module from git...
There is some progress on that field... Check out this thread - one of the guys found and posted an acpi_call based hack which allows to power down nvidia adapter. Although I'd like the other way around (get rid of Intel, leave nvidia fully working), this example leaves a hope...
Old 09-29-10, 03:01 PM   #40
dk75

As far as I understand what's happening at linux-hybrid-graphics with Optimus, you can't disable Intel gfx because it works as framebuffer for nVidia and nVidia card is working as gfx accerelator for Intel, so eihter you can disable nVidia for power savings, which isn't fully discovered right now or you make to load nVidia drivers along with Intel gfx working at this same time which isn't any way further nearby right now.

It sems that nVidia problem with Optimus on Linux is that durring boot Intel kernel module is loading which preventing from nVidia kernel module to load and wihout Intel kernel module then it is no display possible at all.
So it is only hope for PRIME drivers.

Or maybe I'm blabering nonsense because I don't understand what's going on. It's either possible since I don't pay too mutch attention to the problem - I don't have Optimus hardware or any other hybrid graphics.
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 07:23 AM   #41
yauser

I have been looking at getting a new computer, and was considering the alienware mx11 with the NVidia GT335M video card.

Is there any estimate as to when this card will work with accelerated graphics under Linux?
I can wait for on-demand switching support.

Do I really have to consider getting a laptop with an ATI card?
yauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 10:50 AM   #42
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yauser View Post
I have been looking at getting a new computer, and was considering the alienware mx11 with the NVidia GT335M video card.

Is there any estimate as to when this card will work with accelerated graphics under Linux?
Don't buy it if you intend to run Linux on it.

Its that simple.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 11:16 AM   #43
dk75

Right now it seems that ACPI CALL for disabling nVidia card was found for Alienware m11xr

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...4&postcount=45

For working drivers that uses nVidia card could be a year or five - ask gypsy.
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 05:45 AM   #44
avilella

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Optimus is not supported by the graphics driver, but it ought to work for CUDA. If it's not working, please describe what's happening in a new thread, or send a message to linux-bugs@nvidia.com.
Hi AaronP.

On a Asus U33JC, I've tried to install the nvidia drivers using the Ubuntu "enable restricted drivers" method, and after rebooting, I get a blank screen, and Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't give me anything.

How can I produce a useful log to send to you in this situation?

Cheers,

Albert.
avilella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-10, 10:08 AM   #45
erroneus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
We have no plans to support Optimus on Linux at this time.
Fine. Don't "support" it. How about releasing the technical details needed for the community to do the work ourselves? The information already exists and is documented somewhere. Just give us the information.

I believe nVidia is making a serious mistake about the future of computing. "General Purpose" computing is soon to be a thing of the past for home users. More and more devices will be more purpose specific and contain embedded operating systems. Trends in this area say that the OS of choice is Linux. Windows is not the preferred OS for this growing market.

If nVidia wants to be a player in that market, it had better do something to ensure that its hardware is selected when engineers are making choices when building their TVs, game consoles, embedded computing devices and more. Playing this "Windows only" game is a game that has a much less significant future. The writing is on the wall. Microsoft is no longer the leader on the web with a browser market share below 50% and falling. Android and other Linux based systems are gaining exponential popularity among consumers. Microsoft ain't what it once was and it is declining.
erroneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-10, 11:36 AM   #46
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by erroneus View Post
Fine. Don't "support" it. How about releasing the technical details needed for the community to do the work ourselves? The information already exists and is documented somewhere. Just give us the information.
You can tell that to Aaron all day, but unfortunately he is low on the totem pole. Want a visualization of how low he is?

I have no idea about the internal structure of NVIDIA's programming department, but this is what I'm guessing at:

NVIDIA CEO
CFO
CIO
Vice Presidents
Product Owners
Senior Executive Managers
Windows Programming Managers
Team Managers
Linux Programming Manager
AaronP

Of course I'm most definitely, totally wrong, and Aaron might get a good chuckle out of it, but that's my best guess. Somewhere in the Windows Programming Managers area his request would get blocked with a reply of "No."
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-10, 11:49 AM   #47
artem

erroneus,

and NVIDIA now supports almost all platforms mentioned by you (Android, Tegra2, etc). Desktop Linux is just low on their radar.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 01:52 AM   #48
avilella

One of the hybrid-graphics-linux Launchpad team members has found a way to load the nvidia ROM to a modified linux kernel. Although this is still work in progress, it looks it could lead to have working nvidia drivers for optimus laptops in linux:

https://lists.launchpad.net/hybrid-g.../msg00271.html
avilella is offline   Reply With Quote