Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-13-03, 09:41 AM   #1
enrico

Question how to improve 2d performance of nvidia drivers ?

Hi there!

I installed nvidia drivers in order to have Xvideo support so now I can play divx movies. 3d and Xvideo performance is great however I encounter significant 2d performance loss.

From what i have read and from my experience apparently something's wrong with nvidia drivers because with open source nv driver 2d was excellent.

Is there right now any workaround how to have Xvideo and open source nv driver installed ?

Or better is there a way how to set up nvidia drivers so they will provide me with same 2d performance as open source drivers did ?

thanks

p.s. I have Riva TNT graphics card
enrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-03, 11:53 AM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Which driver version are you using? It may be beneficial for you to use an older driver, which did not use nVidia's own 2d layer, since your tnt card likely is not using any of the improvements in the drivers anyway.

The 31.23 drivers were very fast and 2d performance was good, but all 4x.xx drivers (afaik) use nVidia's own 2d, which seems to have issues with certain cards. On my machine the new drivers 2d is much faster than the 'nv' open source driver, but this varies alot.
Old 11-14-03, 04:04 AM   #3
enrico

Default 31... drivers

Hi!

I'm using latest 4496 drivers.

So 31... drivers will allow me to use Xvideo and good 2d performance ?

thanks
Old 11-14-03, 06:35 AM   #4
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: 31... drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by enrico

So 31... drivers will allow me to use Xvideo and good 2d performance ?
Good 2D performance yes, Xvideo I don't know. Installing them is not as easy, since you need to use tarballs or find RPMs built out of the tarballs (which you rpmbuild --rebuild). This is an experiment idea for you, as I have no idea if Xvideo works on that driver.
Old 11-14-03, 11:22 AM   #5
enrico

Default nvidia 31.23

Hi!

i've installed 31.23 nvidia drivers. They have Xvideo so I can play latest divx on full screen with 20-50% CPU usage on my pII 300 kalamath

2d performance is OK, however it's still little bit slower then open source nv driver .....

there is one more thing i dont understand.
im still getting very poor performance in Multi-Gnome-Terminal. In particular when i type "ls -all" in my home directory i'll get big list of files within my home direcory. And that scrolling is very slow on nvidia drivers. On open source nv driver it is very fast..... i like MGT however i was forced to use something else (xterm)
Old 11-14-03, 04:36 PM   #6
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

That is unfortunate they are still slow in 2d, but it may just be an issue with the TNT card, because even tho the current (and 31.23) drivers 'support' the card, they certainly weren't really designing the driver for it as newer cards were probably the primary focus.

As I said, I find on my card that the open source 2d is much slower in almost any screen redraw. This is probably a tradeoff you'll have to deal with. Text or framebuffer consoles are superior anyway
Old 11-15-03, 07:50 AM   #7
shassard
Asus Geforce FX 5600

Lightbulb Make sure AGP is working

While in XFree86, and using the 'nvidia' driver:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

This is what I get:
Driver: AGPGART
AGP Rate: 4x
Fast Writes: Enabled
SBA: Enabled

I personally found that when my AGP wasn't properly working, XFree86 was painfully slow.

You should probably also try to add this to your nvidia device section:
Option "RenderAccel" "on"

Also, try manually compiling the 'nvidia' kernel module. Edit 'os-registry.c' before you compile and edit the following lines to (if you don't want to have to bother with module parameters). Make sure you are running a chipset that can do this properly:

static int NVreg_EnableAGPSBA = 1;
static int NVreg_EnableAGPFW = 1;
shassard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-03, 11:16 AM   #8
Dirty

shassard

can u give a link for detail information on that settings you just mentioned.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-03, 12:15 PM   #9
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Fast Writes and Side-Band Addressing both improve the overall bandwidth of the card (essentially making it work better when at absolute maximum capacity). While this is good, it often causes lockups and video corruption, so if you are going to attempt it just be aware some issues may arise. There are some older posts in the forum regarding this also. I personally don't use them, even tho the card supports it because the improvements are only noticeable when the card is seriously taxed for resources.

I don't want that to discourage anyone from trying it, just don't do it thinking it will make a non-working setup better... it should be working first! Obviously the coolest thing about linux is you get to mess with stuff how you want to, when you want to, so do it, but wisely.