Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-23-10, 03:30 AM   #1
betterdan

Default Galaxy S Captivate and Fascinate updates

The AT&T Captivate and Verizon Fascinate phones are now getting the firmware updates for the GPS fix
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...tivate-gps-fix
http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...ushing-out-now

They need to hurry up with the T-Mobile Vibrant
Old 09-23-10, 02:03 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Galaxy S Captivate and Fascinate updates

Mine says that their are no updates available but im guessing thats due to my custom rom.
Old 09-27-10, 02:17 PM   #3
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Mine says that their are no updates available but im guessing thats due to my custom rom.
Yeah you won't get updates via custom roms.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 02:57 PM   #4
betterdan

And still no T-Mobile update...
Old 09-27-10, 07:21 PM   #5
|MaguS|

The update didn't do anything. GPS still sucks.
Old 09-27-10, 07:37 PM   #6
betterdan

Old 10-02-10, 11:56 AM   #7
hawkeyefan

Froyo is now available for the Captivate. Leaked official build release. GPS is flawless. Locked ten sats within a couple seconds and accuracy appears to be within a few feet. I'll walk around and do a MyTracks later but all reports are that GPS is perfect now.

Thought of betterdan immediately (no homo) the minute I saw the thread on XDA last night.

I can't recall if there are other Captivate users here but if there are, the Froyo release doesn't (yet) support one-click root, voodoo lagfix, etc. Sideloading wonder machine works, root can be obtained but is a bit of a PITA. No HSUPA yet. ATT and Samsung bloatware in full effect. I would suppose there will be a Cognition rom/voodoo support within a day or two judging by the rate at which devs are moving on this...insane how fast these guys are working.
hawkeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 12:03 PM   #8
betterdan

You didn't think of me in a homo way?

As for the T Mobile update... no where to be seen, not froyo, not even the GPS fix all the other carriers got for their version of the Galaxy phones. This sucks almost as much as Rosie Odonnel on a 10 course dinner.

Old 10-02-10, 12:13 PM   #9
hawkeyefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
You didn't think of me in a homo way?

As for the T Mobile update... no where to be seen, not froyo, not even the GPS fix all the other carriers got for their version of the Galaxy phones. This sucks almost as much as Rosie Odonnel on a 10 course dinner.
Honestly, the "GPS fix" really wasn't that at all from my own experience with it. I still had much better GPS performance with an older modem.bin from a stock SGS rom than I did with the updated version.

I dunno how good T-mobile is at pushing out updates but that the ATT version has been leaked via (I *think*) Samsung themselves, it seems safe to assume that your version should be in the wild shortly.
hawkeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 04:23 PM   #10
betterdan

This is the first time I've had T Mobile so I don't know about their updating but from what I've read and seen it sucks ass.
I saw on the T Mobile forum that they will supposedly put out some info on the update next week... Sucks that it was the first Galaxy S phone in the US and it's the last to get the update.
Old 10-02-10, 04:29 PM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
This is the first time I've had T Mobile so I don't know about their updating but from what I've read and seen it sucks ass.
I saw on the T Mobile forum that they will supposedly put out some info on the update next week... Sucks that it was the first Galaxy S phone in the US and it's the last to get the update.
Captivate launched before the Vibrant. Captivate launched in July, Vibrant in August.
Old 10-02-10, 04:43 PM   #12
betterdan

No. Vibrant became available for sale before then. Vibrant was actually out on the market first. Trust me, I bought the Vibrant at a T-Mobile store the day it became available on July 15th.
Now the official "launch" came later but by then many people already had the Vibrant.