Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-03-10, 01:35 PM   #61
Gribnif

Default Re: NVidia ION lockups in MythTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlord View Post
It appears that some of these systems have an Atheros ethernet controller, which is defaulting to using MSI for interrupts. Normally that's a good thing, but sometimes it results in unexpected problems.

Have you folks tried booting with this Linux kernel parameter:

pci=nomsi

?? Does it make any difference?
YES! I spent several minutes seeking back and forth in some content that is on my regular networked backend, and it seems to work fine. Normally, it would have locked up within seconds. I have also now been playing back an HD recording for about 30 minutes with no problems. I'm using VDPAU Slim playback settings.

Without "nomsi" I had noticed issues with the port not initializing properly at boot, in that it took several tries before it would finally get a link. Now it seems to work correctly then, too.

Thank you SO much, mlord!
Gribnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 11:04 AM   #62
mlord
Linux kernel hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribnif View Post
Quote:
pci=nomsi
?? Does it make any difference?
YES! I spent several minutes seeking back and forth in some content that is on my regular networked backend, and it seems to work fine. Normally, it would have locked up within seconds. I have also now been playing back an HD recording for about 30 minutes with no problems. I'm using VDPAU Slim playback settings...
Great! Let's see if things continue to behave for you over the next few days.

Anyone else?
mlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 11:11 AM   #63
mlord
Linux kernel hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
I've been running MythTV in a loop playing video and viewing MythNews for perhaps 10 days now. I have seen no system/GPU stability issues. Unfortunately, MythTV segfaults a lot and/or stops processing remote control sockets properly, so overnight tests rarely run more than an hour or two after I go home.
That is not normal. I wonder if those issues are also triggered by the misbehaving atheros driver? Does the pci=nomsi kernel parameter rid you of them?

There's probably a more focused way to turn off msi for only the atheros driver. We can try poking more at that after hearing back from other folks here.
Old 10-04-10, 12:50 PM   #64
Stephen Warren

My ION doesn't appear to have any Atheros chip in it. I was testing with wired Ethernet. Perhaps that's the reason I could never repro this?
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 06:20 PM   #65
mlord
Linux kernel hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
My ION doesn't appear to have any Atheros chip in it. I was testing with wired Ethernet. Perhaps that's the reason I could never repro this?
Good question. I wonder about that too. The original reporter, and others, have the Foxconn box, which does have the Atheros hardware. Even if they're using a different wired ethernet interface, the atheros driver is probably still loaded and active.. it only has to trip up once to lock the system.

The systems also have AHCI SATA controllers using MSI. I believe the AHCI driver to be pretty solid with MSI in Linux, but it is possible that there's some weird interaction there. Using pci=nomsi turns off all MSI usage so it would catch both of those drivers.

Edit: Note that this appears to be an atheros wired ethernet interface (1gb/s, atl1c driver) in the Foxconn boxes, not wireless.
Old 10-05-10, 08:01 PM   #66
mattpier

Oh my god! The kernel option "pci=nomsi" actually fixed mine as well!!! Thank you! I've had this foxconn nt330i for over 6 months, updating stuff every month and crossing my fingers. Nothing has worked until now. I can now fast-forward and reverse. I was even gutsy and did FF up to 120x and it did NOT lockup!

I am very happy now that I can use this box for its intended use. My kids on the other hand who have confiscated it are not going to be happy

Some facts about this nt330i and my setup:

I too am serving all content off of NFS share (v4)
my box boot's ISCSI, there is NO physical HD in it.

[root@media1 ~]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Host Bridge (rev b1)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 LPC Bridge (rev b2)
00:03.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
00:03.2 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SMBus (rev b1)
00:03.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
00:03.5 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Co-processor (rev b1)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
00:06.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
00:06.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Bridge (rev b1)
00:0b.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SATA Controller (rev b1)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
00:15.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
00:16.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
00:17.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
00:18.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation ION VGA (rev b1)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
06:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
mattpier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 11:56 AM   #67
mlord
Linux kernel hacker

[off-topic, sorry] How noisy are the fans in these Foxconn boxes?
Old 10-07-10, 07:25 AM   #68
Gribnif

Quote:
[off-topic, sorry] How noisy are the fans in these Foxconn boxes?
When it runs, the fan can be noticeable. But I've played 1080i mpeg4 video and either it did not come on, or was not fast enough to hear. Playing mpeg4 should be a particularly strenuous test, since this graphics chip can't decode that using VDPAU; the regular CPU has to do the work.

Old 10-07-10, 07:27 AM   #69
Gribnif

Quote:
Edit: Note that this appears to be an atheros wired ethernet interface (1gb/s, atl1c driver) in the Foxconn boxes, not wireless.
Yes, this is correct. It uses atl1c for wired and ath9k for wireless.

Last edited by Gribnif; 10-12-10 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Re-edited to correct factual error
Old 10-07-10, 10:06 AM   #70
mlord
Linux kernel hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribnif View Post
Actually, it uses the Atheros ath9k driver for both wired and wireless. It supports b/g/n, as well as gigE.
I don't see any in-kernel code for MSI with the ath9k driver.

So, either it's the other atheros driver, or you've got an out-of-tree driver in your box (usually a bad thing). What does lsmod show?

Cheers
Old 10-07-10, 11:17 AM   #71
primerib

Quote:
I don't see any in-kernel code for MSI with the ath9k driver.

So, either it's the other atheros driver, or you've got an out-of-tree driver in your box (usually a bad thing).
Sorry, that's not true. First, all drivers start out-of-tree and secondly it's simply a bad assumption to say out-of-tree drivers are a bad thing by default. The quality of drivers has nothing to do with whether or not it came within kernel source. Case in point, V4L. Tons of buggy drivers while more stable/fixed ones are available from out-of-tree source.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 12:59 PM   #72
mlord
Linux kernel hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by primerib View Post
Sorry, that's not true. First, all drivers start out-of-tree and secondly it's simply a bad assumption to say out-of-tree drivers are a bad thing by default. The quality of drivers has nothing to do with whether or not it came within kernel source. Case in point, V4L. Tons of buggy drivers while more stable/fixed ones are available from out-of-tree source.
That's why I said usually a bad thing. Not always.
The point here, though, was that since I haven't yet found the source code that matches what we see here, I haven't yet been able to fix it for you.

Cheers