Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-02-10, 08:13 PM   #1
seaweed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 57
Default Video stutter

Was wondering if anybody here could help me unsolve the mistery of the bitstream in this video clip from a camera, this has some stuttering issues when decoding with VDPAU. It happens on GTX285 and on Ion (doubt it if it has anything to do with the hardware or VDPAU profile), with the latest driver 260.19.06 or even with earlier driver.

Its a transport stream even though extension is mp4

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6sb565...0_30_3mbps.mp4

Last edited by seaweed; 10-03-10 at 10:25 PM.
seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 12:10 PM   #2
Stephen Warren
Moderator
 
Stephen Warren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Video stutter

seaweed,

I'm afraid that NVIDIA's firewall blocks most file download sites. If you'd like us to take a look at it, can you please upload the file to our file drop; see the instructions in the VDPAU sticky post in this forum.

Which application are you seeing stuttering in; just your own, or does it also repro in e.g. MPlayer?

Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 08:48 PM   #3
seaweed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 57
Default Re: Video stutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
seaweed,

I'm afraid that NVIDIA's firewall blocks most file download sites. If you'd like us to take a look at it, can you please upload the file to our file drop; see the instructions in the VDPAU sticky post in this forum.

Which application are you seeing stuttering in; just your own, or does it also repro in e.g. MPlayer?

Thanks.
Ahh sorry about that. I just uploaded the file in the ftp site, its called Stutter_Dump_h264_1280_720_30_3mbps.mp4. The problem is more apparent in my application but looks like mplayer shows a little stutter as well, even when using the cpu based decoder. So I would blame the stream itself - wonder what causes it. However VLC plays totally smooth when directly streaming from the camera, but fails to play the dumped file.
seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 09:34 PM   #4
gradinaruvasile
Registered User
 
gradinaruvasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 199
Default Re: Video stutter

mplayer (Smplayer) plays it smooth for me with VDPAU - nvidia 8200 integrated GPU (Debian Squeeze/260.19.06 driver).
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 04:21 AM   #5
seaweed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 57
Default Re: Video stutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
mplayer (Smplayer) plays it smooth for me with VDPAU - nvidia 8200 integrated GPU (Debian Squeeze/260.19.06 driver).
Is it totally smooth, not even minute stutter ? Its kind of hard to see at first. Also What CPU platform are you using? I am using an ION 1 (atom 1.6 ghz, 2gb ram). I tried to queue up the decoded frames and render in constant interval but the result is the same.
seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 03:21 PM   #6
gradinaruvasile
Registered User
 
gradinaruvasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 199
Default Re: Video stutter

ASUS M3N78-VM mobo (nvidia 8200 IGP), 2 GB RAM @800 MHz, Athlon II x2 250 @3.0GHz.

I se no stuttering. I watched it a few times.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 03:06 AM   #7
seaweed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 57
Default Re: Video stutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
ASUS M3N78-VM mobo (nvidia 8200 IGP), 2 GB RAM @800 MHz, Athlon II x2 250 @3.0GHz.

I se no stuttering. I watched it a few times.
That's very weird, I just compiled and ran MPlayer SVN-r32440-4.4.1 snapshot on an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Mobo, Core I7 @ 3000 mhz, with a GTX 285 , Driver version 260.19.04, 12 meg RAM and I am seeing the same issue. Very puzzling. I dont see any VDPAU errors when enable the debug mode. However for some of the other streams, I have seen VdpPresentationQueueBlockUntilSurfaceIdle taking more than normal time. Also VDPAU video surface destroy taking quite a long time after playback finished. Not sure if they are related to this.
seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 07:50 AM   #8
gradinaruvasile
Registered User
 
gradinaruvasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 199
Default Re: Video stutter

I use the debian multimedia mplayer/smplayer + 260.19.06 driver installed from the nvidia install script from the site.
I also have the composite extension disabled in xorg.conf (this caused tearing with vdpau).

BTW the GTX285 has VDPAU set A whereas the 8200 has set B (according to Wikipedia). Maybe this has to do with it...
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-10, 12:32 PM   #9
seaweed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 57
Default Re: Video stutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
I use the debian multimedia mplayer/smplayer + 260.19.06 driver installed from the nvidia install script from the site.
I also have the composite extension disabled in xorg.conf (this caused tearing with vdpau).

BTW the GTX285 has VDPAU set A whereas the 8200 has set B (according to Wikipedia). Maybe this has to do with it...
But it also happened on the ION, which is feature set B. The capability wise, for other streams, even 1080 P h.264 streams it can handle it well. This one is 720 P, main porfile and h.264 profile level 4.1. This is well within the capacity of the VP block. To Stephen, did you get a chance to test the clip?
seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 03:14 PM   #10
Stephen Warren
Moderator
 
Stephen Warren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Video stutter

Sorry for the slow response; I haven't been following nvnews.net as often as I used to.

I've tried your clip on both an ION 1 machine and a desktop with AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ and a mid-range VDPAU feature set C GPU.

With software decoding, I certainly do see very slow decoding (Atom) or occasional glitches like 1 frame is 1 VSYNC too late (AMD dual-core); I assume this is just the CPU being unable to keep up with the decoding requirements. (This is with -vo vdpau).

However, with "-vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau", I don't see glitches on either platform, even when I get MPlayer to loop playback and watching many iterations of the clip.

I tried MPlayer from SVN r29354 (one of the version we based our early patches on IIRC) and another random version I had (r31342). Both give the same results; no glitches with HW decoding.

The only advice I can give is:

a) Are there delays reading the clip from disk? I have my media on an NFS mount, and did see some glitches the first time through due to the data not being cached on the playback machine.

b) Is your player application sufficiently pipelining decode and display operations? This requires using more than the minimum number of video and output surfaces so the decoder and mixer can ping-pong between output surfaces rather than serializing operations. The driver README appendix H has some more complete details. I know MPlayer doesn't pipeline decoding.

c) Specifically on ION, there are different RAM configurations. I don't recall exactly what they are, but e.g. single-bank vs. dual-bank interleaved, memory clock, perhaps DDR2 vs. DDR3, etc. This may impact performance.

d) Is your application using timestamps when queueing pictures into the VDPAU presentation queue? Without this, every picture is displayed ASAP; i.e. beginning with the very next VSYNC. With 30fps content on a 60fps display, pictures should all be displayed for 2 VSYNCS each, but small variations in the timing of when VDPAU APIs are called, complexity differences in different pictures, etc. could cause some pictures to be displayed for 1 VSYNC and hence others for 3 VSYNCs, which probably would cause symptoms like you're seeing. I know MPlayer doesn't do this either, at least not in the versions I tested with nor the standard SVN repo (although there are some other experimental branches that do). Passing timestamps to vdp_presentation_queue_display, you should be able to avoid this issue.

Determine initial timestamps by using a small offset from VdpPresentationQueueGetTime's result. Pick timestamps in the middle of the VSYNCs to avoid beating with the actual VSYNC. Determine initial inter-timestamp period by e.g. XF86VidMode initially (or hard-coding), and then feeding back the results from VdpPresentationQueueBlockUntilSurfaceIdle or VdpPresentationQueueQuerySurfaceStatus's first_presentation_time value.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 09:02 PM   #11
CME
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 20
Default Re: Video stutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
[...]

d) Is your application using timestamps when queueing pictures into the VDPAU presentation queue? Without this, every picture is displayed ASAP; i.e. beginning with the very next VSYNC. With 30fps content on a 60fps display, pictures should all be displayed for 2 VSYNCS each, but small variations in the timing of when VDPAU APIs are called, complexity differences in different pictures, etc. could cause some pictures to be displayed for 1 VSYNC and hence others for 3 VSYNCs, which probably would cause symptoms like you're seeing. I know MPlayer doesn't do this either, at least not in the versions I tested with nor the standard SVN repo (although there are some other experimental branches that do). Passing timestamps to vdp_presentation_queue_display, you should be able to avoid this issue.

[...]
out of curiosity, where can i find those mplayer branches?
CME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 12:09 AM   #12
Stephen Warren
Moderator
 
Stephen Warren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Video stutter

I think it's what's described at http://www.linuxtech.net/tips+tricks...er_Branch.html
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.