Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Latest Tech And Game Headlines

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-10, 12:23 PM   #13
Vardant

Default Re: NVIDIA selling their own cards in the retail space?

That was to be expected after the 3Dfx remark in the first article. I don't want to see, what Charlie has to say.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 01:07 PM   #14
mojoman0

gets rid of one middle man but theres still the best buy markup
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 01:48 PM   #15
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

I can't believe that Kyle decided to stir things up with this the way he did. He has his whole community up in arms over this.

Bleh... it's not THAT big of a deal, and it's not some conspiracy to allow NVIDIA to lie to customers. Jeez.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 03:53 PM   #16
ragejg
nV News Alumni

For what it's worth, NVIDIA's financials:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=N...urce=undefined

BUT: Despite ALL the fervor, I can say this: It's NOT the big deal that [H] is making it out to be. For whatever reason, some opportunists out there are latching onto this as a convenient reason to rake NVIDIA over the coals.

Fact: Best Buy ASKED NVIDIA for this, just for the holidays. This is no effort on NVIDIA's part to "become another Apple", to "shake up AIBs" or any other crap. This is also not replacing ANY partner SKUs.

Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

Old 10-05-10, 08:25 PM   #17
Yaboze

If it's not replacing SKU's, then why do it?

A lot of money went into designing the box and materials and setting up a help desk for Tech support and RMA's, etc.

I don't see it as a problem, but it's just a little strange.

I just checked the Best Buy site and they do sell EVGA, although I have never seen them for sale there. Anyway, if you were going to buy a card, saw the Nvidia branded box and EVGA, which would you buy? I know EVGA has a good warranty, so I'd go with them. The problem is, the average Joe may not know that and maybe the salesman won't offer than information.

As far as being like Apple... I mean, that unboxing was like watching an Apple product being opened, except replace white/gray with black/green.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 08:30 PM   #18
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Probably the best post I've seen on the subject thus far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody_here @ [H]ardOCP
"....the only thing i took exception to in this article is that you spent WAAAYYY too long going on and on about how it says "built by Nvidia" when it technically is not.

i would offer to you that everyone i know buying video cards in Best Buy has a complete skewed perception of brands, manufacturers and distributors....they dont even recognize the supply chain bro....i was online playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 with two friends online the other night. they are avid online PC gamers, but not technology geeks....they think you can argue a PNY card is better than a Gigabyte card. they did not even once in the argument use the word "Nvidia" or "GPU"....not once....when i asked what kind of GPU it had they responded with "Intel" and when i explained that i asked GPU on the video card, not CPU......the response was "it's the 512Mb one"........and when i was experiencing some high pings in game one of them told me it was "most likely my graphics card"

these guys are not dumb, they have decent rigs and play online a lot.....but they ARE exactly who shops at Best Buy for video cards and let me tell you expressly without a doubt and with no exception....they give a F-ALL who made it, who it says made it, or who actually made it.....they wouldn't even commit it to memory if you explained it all to them that a bunch of suicidal people at Foxxconn built them along side iPhones.....they immediately throw the box away and would never even call tech support.......

people simply dont give a F these days. you feel pointing out; nay.....putting it up on the marquee, that Nvidia didn't actually build these cards is a noble cause, but to be honest, the only people paying attention are the ones that know better anyways...

i think this article was pretty pointless honestly and a big to-do about nothing

Nvidia is trying to break into other markets like media streaming Boxees and mobile devices. they are trying to create a larger brand name presence. it is working obviously because what would have gone passed on as a nothing occurrence is now on the front page more than once in 24 hours....no doubt driving page hits and turn ad revenue, but to learn what? Nvidia is marketing their own product? really?"