Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-10, 05:55 PM   #37
bacon12

Default Re: Blu-Rays and updates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
average user should know how to read.
Average users pay someone to set up their home network as well. Something you or I would never do.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 06:02 PM   #38
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Average users pay someone to set up their home network as well. Something you or I would never do.
Ok so what's the problem then? If they are used to paying someone to set stuff up then let them. I am failing to see why having to update a blu ray player is so much more a hardship than anything else they may own... well unless the person owns no computer, no internet connection, no xbox or ps3 then yea it may be something completely foreign to them but then again we have instruction manuals that come with the device. I guess a good excuse is they don't know how to read.

Trust me, I know people can be morons but I don't think that should hold technology back just so some cavemen can feel better. They should try to make things as easy as they can for these fools but there comes a point where they are going to have to stop being lazy and read the manual.
Old 10-05-10, 07:58 PM   #39
ViN86

I don't think anyone advocated they "hold technology back". Just all these complications because of DRM are ridiculous. And to make things worse, these movies are on torrent sites almost immediately after their release, at full 1080p resolution.

So, what does all this fussing with DRM do besides confuse the average consumer?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 08:04 PM   #40
betterdan

What complications? What fussing? Read the manual, plug your player into the internet and watch a movie.
Wow you mean someone hacked the copy protection? I bet they never did that with VHS or DVD... oh wait

Again, I fail to see where this is more of a hardship on average people than say a computer or even a VCR clock which people still couldn't set years and years after they first came out and even up until VCRs were toppled by dvd.
Old 10-05-10, 08:07 PM   #41
bacon12

Compared to DVD its a huge pain in the ass you are intentionally being like Cyber over this Dan. What ever I am done with it, I think I will go decrypt some BR disks and add them to my collection nao..
Old 10-05-10, 08:14 PM   #42
betterdan

Bacon, you are intentionally being like Bigman over this, you have failed to say why it is a pain in the ass. Hooking your player to the internet should be no more of a pain in the ass then hooking your computer or your xbox,PS3 etc to the internet. Yet for some reason the blu ray player being hooked to the internet is some huge deal to you.
Come on, it isn't that hard. Hook it to the internet then sit back and watch a movie. If it wants to update it will tell you then download the update.
I find the slowness of some blu ray discs much more of a pain in the ass than taking a few minutes to hook it to the internet and be done with it.
Old 10-05-10, 08:42 PM   #43
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I don't think anyone advocated they "hold technology back". Just all these complications because of DRM are ridiculous. And to make things worse, these movies are on torrent sites almost immediately after their release, at full 1080p resolution.

So, what does all this fussing with DRM do besides confuse the average consumer?
why would this matter? so the average idiot doesn't know how to read, but will be able to figure out how to use bittorrent, install codecs, find torrents, burn the movie, or hook up the PC to the TV?
Old 10-05-10, 09:14 PM   #44
betterdan

Exactly.

Old 10-05-10, 09:32 PM   #45
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
why would this matter? so the average idiot doesn't know how to read, but will be able to figure out how to use bittorrent, install codecs, find torrents, burn the movie, or hook up the PC to the TV?
The point is that all this complication, just for DRM, is unnecessary.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 09:42 PM   #46
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
The point is that all this complication, just for DRM, is unnecessary.
no, it is necessary, because it stops the average joe from piracy. Like i pointed out it will stop the average user from copying disc.

true that there are those that know how to rip, download, copy etc.. but the average joe that doesn't know how to hook up ethernet cable will not know how to go around the DRM.

so the DRM works just as planned.
Old 10-05-10, 10:00 PM   #47
bacon12

@ Dan it isn't a pita for you and me, and anyone with basic tech skills. The average users don't know the difference between their monitor and computer case. See the difference?

@ Nekro The average joe isn't gonna pirate anyways, he doesn't know how, he is that computer illiterate.. He is their paying customer who is the only one this DRM is hurting.
Old 10-05-10, 10:35 PM   #48
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
@ Dan it isn't a pita for you and me, and anyone with basic tech skills. The average users don't know the difference between their monitor and computer case. See the difference?

@ Nekro The average joe isn't gonna pirate anyways, he doesn't know how, he is that computer illiterate.. He is their paying customer who is the only one this DRM is hurting.