Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-10, 11:58 PM   #49
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Blu-Rays and updates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post

@ Nekro The average joe isn't gonna pirate anyways, he doesn't know how, he is that computer illiterate.. He is their paying customer who is the only one this DRM is hurting.
BS, average user knows very well how to open roxio or nero and press copy disc, and then gets greated with can't copy disc message. and there you have it, DRM works.

just like my completly illiterate grandma knows how to copy one picture cd to next.
Old 10-06-10, 12:05 AM   #50
mullet

Dude most people in the public can't copy and paste.
Old 10-06-10, 02:26 AM   #51
betterdan

If average people are that dumb they wouldn't know how to even work a computer. I see no one bitching that a computer is too complicated.
Blu ray players are not that complicated. When someone buys one they can read the manual, plug it into the internet and sit back and watch a movie. Sony nor anyone else can fix stupid.
Copyright protection is neccessary as like Nekro said, it keeps the average person from copying the movies.

I still don't see the big deal with hooking the player to the internet and exactly what big problems it is causing. Sounds like some are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this.
Old 10-06-10, 10:47 AM   #52
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
I see no one bitching that a computer is too complicated.
If you can say that with a straight face you should apply at Sony, I'm sure they could use more straight faced liars in their workforce.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 10:52 AM   #53
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
If you can say that with a straight face you should apply at Sony, I'm sure they could use more straight faced liars in their workforce.
What I mean is I see no one in this thread bitching that a computer is too complicated yet here they are complaining that a blu ray player is too complicated because they have to plug it into the internet.
I would expect them to bitch about a computer way more than a blu ray player.
Old 10-06-10, 11:05 AM   #54
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
no, it is necessary, because it stops the average joe from piracy. Like i pointed out it will stop the average user from copying disc.

true that there are those that know how to rip, download, copy etc.. but the average joe that doesn't know how to hook up ethernet cable will not know how to go around the DRM.

so the DRM works just as planned.
You think the average joe knows what DRM is, what it does, or the fact that he can rip a movie to his computer?

If he knows that much, he can just download it off a torrent site. The truth is, if it's been cracked by one person, then it's been cracked by everyone. I don't know why you're defending this.

Quote:
What I mean is I see no one in this thread bitching that a computer is too complicated yet here they are complaining that a blu ray player is too complicated because they have to plug it into the internet.
I would expect them to bitch about a computer way more than a blu ray player.
We didn't say it's too complicated, we just think that updates for a BLU-RAY PLAYER are a little excessive, and to make matters worse, their constantly needed since the DRM is often cracked easily.

Maybe it's just because we were so used to DVD players, which didn't require manual updates. I mean with WiFi on the player, it's a piece of cake, but you bet your ass that there are a lot of people out there that brought home a shiny copy of their favorite movie only to find that it wouldn't play. Then they had to call technical support and suffer through hours of hand-holding just to play their movie. And it was only done to prevent copying, which doesn't affect the majority of users anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
Dude most people in the public can't copy and paste.
Spot on. I can't tell you how many people I have worked with that I say "just copy and paste it there". And they say to me "copy and what? how do you do that?".

/facepalm
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 11:48 AM   #55
betterdan

The average Joe doesn't need to know about DRM all they need to know is they can't copy a movie.

I have only had to get 1 update from a disc so far. It is a mild inconvenience at the most.

DVD players had some troubles with some discs in the past. It was even worse though because the players couldn't be updated. If you had trouble playing a movie your options were to sell the movie or buy another dvd player.

I'm not sure why you think wifi should be a piece of cake for morons. If they are too stupid to know how to plug a cable into the player and connect it to their router then I doubt they are smart enough to have set up a wireless network that their blu ray player can connect to.

Blu ray players come with an instruction manual on how to hook it up to the internet, people should read the instructions.

It would indeed be nice if we didn't need the player connected to the internet for updates but then again it is nice so that they can add additional functions to the player later and fix problems unlike the dvd players of the past. In this day and age networked equipment is the way of the future and people ignorant of this will have to get on board or step out of the way.
Old 10-06-10, 11:56 AM   #56
ViN86

Oh my ****ing God this is the dumbest argument I've ever seen on nV News.

/thread

FACTS:

People are idiots
DRM is worthless
Updates confuse average users

FICTION:

This thread is useful

**** this place, it's bull****. I'm out, B.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-10, 12:04 PM   #57
mullet

VIN for President.
Old 10-06-10, 12:07 PM   #58
DiscipleDOC

VIN is my pimp.
Betterdan is my prostitute.

DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 12:20 PM   #59
bacon12

Vin rages and defeats all!

/argument
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 02:44 PM   #60
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:

Blu ray players come with an instruction manual on how to hook it up to the internet, people should read the instructions.
And that is what matters. There is no excuse for laziness. That why obesity is so rampant in this country, everyone is to lazy to get off their lazy asses.

DRM works against the simply users, and works well.