Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-02-10, 06:10 PM   #13
|MaguS|

Default Re: Galaxy S Captivate and Fascinate updates

Yes but Samsung goes by the official date (as does every site), not the broken release date. People had Halo Reach before release but they consider release the day MS set, not the day the first person got their hands on it.
Old 10-02-10, 06:52 PM   #14
betterdan

It wasn't a broken release date. It was for sale everywhere on July 15th. Including all T-Mobile stores, online, Radio Shack etc.
Like I said Vibrant was the first US Galaxy S phone out and it sucks that it is the last being updated.
Old 10-07-10, 09:42 AM   #15
betterdan

Well it looks like today they are finally starting to roll out the new firmware update/fix for the T-Mobile Vibrants now according to their forum.
Waiting for my update now...
Old 10-07-10, 11:00 AM   #16
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Well it looks like today they are finally starting to roll out the new firmware update/fix for the T-Mobile Vibrants now according to their forum.
Waiting for my update now...
Let us know if it fixes the problem.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 11:31 AM   #17
betterdan

I will as soon as I get the update.
A few people have reported receiving the update but they are too occupied with the new task manager, Samsung Media Hub and HD camcorder icons and have said nothing about the GPS.
Old 10-07-10, 11:53 AM   #18
betterdan

I just noticed HSPA+ which is T-Mobiles equivalent to 4G speeds is now available in my area (Hampton Roads VA) Just went live within the last week or so I believe.
Old 10-08-10, 09:37 PM   #19
betterdan

Alright I got the update/fix tonight and I see some changes.
1. Compass is fixed and works great now.
2. Task Manager button added when you bring up list of recent apps by holding home button
3. Media Hub icon added in apps
4. HD Camcorder icon added in apps
5. Option to set wifi to turn off after display goes off is now gone. (This was probably causing problems as some people complained of wifi not reconnecting)
6. Settings/Mobile Networks/Network Mode has new options of GSM/WCDMA (auto), GSM Only or WCDMA Only I believe before it used to say auto or 2G
7. GPS seems to work a hell of a lot better. Just went outside and before could rarely get 3 or 4 sats to lock but now it saw 11 and locked on 9. Accuracy showed 6 meters. Haven't got to drive around and test it but so far it seems like it's fixed. Thank God as that was my biggest gripe with the phone. I also noticed in GPS Test from market Place that the time settings were correct. Before the time of the GPS was off a few hours which I believe may have been affecting the operation of it.

Some others say there are 40 bug fixes and now you can set sounds for different calendar events. The above is all I could see different though.

Old 10-09-10, 12:56 AM   #20
betterdan

Also just noticed that the swype keyboard has voice input now. I am posting this from my phone and I notice I can see the flash ads. I don't think I could see them before.

Old 10-10-10, 02:34 AM   #21
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Wow, Betterdan, I didn't know they added so much to the epic between the release of my phone and the Vibrant.

We've had the voice-swype since release, along with the built in task manager.

Glad to hear they're updating everything now though
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 04:14 AM   #22
betterdan

Yep the Vibrant was first out so I guess it suffered for that and it took longer to get the update because they had to add everything that was left out originally.
I'm glad it's getting up to date now too.
I tried the GPS out today when I took the motorcycle on a ride to go get a haircut. It took a minute and a half to lock on from a cold start but once it locked on it was at 5m accuracy and stayed locked nicely. Still haven't had a chance to test it driving down the road since my car is in the shop and when I'm on the bike the phone stays in my pocket.
Old 10-10-10, 11:50 AM   #23
betterdan

Alright found an annoying bug. When the phone display has been off for a while the wifi disconnects and the phone mobile data connection takes over. When i wake up the display it shows it connects to wifi again but I can't do anything with it. I turn off wifi and the mobile data works then I turn back on wifi and nothing. I even disconnected from my wifi router and then rebooted the router, same problem. The only way I can get it to start working again is to reboot the phone.

I mistakenly thought they got rid of the option to to set wifi to turn off after display goes off or leave wifi on all the time. It is there under wifi settings then hit the menu button and go into advanced. I like having it go off when the display isn't being used as it saves battery power but this sucks having to reboot it to get wifi back.
Old 10-10-10, 12:00 PM   #24
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

That is slightly annoying. If you're worried about the battery drain because of using 3g you might be able to use Juice Defender to keep the 3g disabled while the screen is off.

I'm really jealous of all the other Galaxy S owners... I'm really dissapointed that my screen has a wobble because of slider.... not to mention the fact that I hardly use the keyboard anyway. I'd much rather just have a captivate
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m