Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-27-10, 06:53 PM   #37
Rakeesh

Default Re: Steam account stolen

Unless this person has some kind of magical keylogger that can survive replacing a hard disk (I've upgraded to an SSD since I last used steam) and absolutely does not give a crap about e.g. my bank account information with a few thousand dollars in it and remains untouched, I'd say valves servers have been compromised.

There's simply no other conceivable way that this person could have obtained my account information. It wouldn't surprise me, given valves track record, if somebody out there is cherry picking accounts that haven't been touched in a while and have the particular games that this person wants. If I hadn't received that confirmation email I wouldn't have even been aware that my account had been compromised.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 06:59 PM   #38
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
rakeesh?

I'll try adding you.
yeah

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rakeesh

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 09-27-10, 08:33 PM   #39
Roadhog
Resident Alien

I'm 99.99999% sure the steam servers didn't get compromised. Plus, who would go out of their way to try and hack the steam servers to get you password for your crap account with barely any games on it at all? lol

You got phished, plain and simple. It could have happened many months ago, and just now did they decide to use your info.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 08:41 PM   #40
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
I haven't logged on to steam in ages but just recently I got an email from steam with a confirmation of an email address change without ever requesting one. So putting two and two together I tried to log in to steam and sure enough my password doesn't work.
The same thing happened to me early this year. It took a few emails to get it fixed but they worked on it pretty fast once I reported it. Good Luck.
Old 09-27-10, 09:09 PM   #41
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Just got off work they gave me a new password and my account doesn't appear to be vac banned.

Whoever took my account deleted all of my friends and added a bunch of russian friends, and added some game called speedball 2. Only appears to have played CS classic and CS:S.

Somebody will have to invite me to the nvnews steam group.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 09:37 PM   #42
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I'm 99.99999% sure the steam servers didn't get compromised. Plus, who would go out of their way to try and hack the steam servers to get you password for your crap account with barely any games on it at all? lol
Somebody who just wants to play counterstrike? Because that's all that they did when they had it, and they played it nonstop. In fact when I took the account back it probably interrupted their game. Not to mention this person added a game to my account as if it were his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
You got phished, plain and simple. It could have happened many months ago, and just now did they decide to use your info.
It's happened more than twice that some russian hackers stole credit card information from the steam servers. If they can steal that I'd bet they can steal either the password itself or factor an equivalent md5 or whatever hash. Trust me when I say this, valve has a terrible security record. On top of what I mentioned, remember how the HL2 source code was stolen? Yeah.

And there's no way in hell I could have been phished, I have never logged into steam except through the client itself.

Old 09-27-10, 10:15 PM   #43
Roadhog
Resident Alien

hmm, then i guess someone really wanted your account lo.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 12:08 PM   #44
lumpyhed
Are you ready?

Did you use this password anywhere else? Doesnt have to be Steam thats compromised if its the case. additionally how many characters? numbers and special symbols in it?
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-10, 02:16 PM   #45
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyhed View Post
Did you use this password anywhere else? Doesnt have to be Steam thats compromised if its the case. additionally how many characters? numbers and special symbols in it?
both the username and password were unique to steam, password was mixed case with a few numbers in it

Old 10-07-10, 06:14 PM   #46
Rakeesh

Ok how does this sound:

My steam account is stolen yet AGAIN. The best part? I haven't even used it since I recovered it, and when I did so I even went through the e-mail verification process.

That settles it, I am 100% sure somebody is ****ing with the steam servers.

Old 10-07-10, 07:47 PM   #47
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Ok how does this sound:

My steam account is stolen yet AGAIN. The best part? I haven't even used it since I recovered it, and when I did so I even went through the e-mail verification process.

That settles it, I am 100% sure somebody is ****ing with the steam servers.
Is your computer infected?

That has to be the weirdest thing I have ever heard.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 07:57 PM   #48
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Is your computer infected?
If it was, I'm sure somebody would have tried to EFT money out of one of my accounts by now. Or stolen my gmail account. Or my credit card information. Or my b.net account which has both wow and sc2 (and my wow account is worth some bucks btw, 104k gold with a toon that has all of the best gear in the game.) Or any number of other things.

EDIT: Doing some research yields that apparently low steam ID's are valuable to hackers, because it makes high scores in the CS scene look legit because they are using an old account, when in fact they aren't legit at all. This is probably why my account, with the few games that it has, was targeted. This probably means my account will be vac banned soonish as well.