Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-17-10, 04:48 AM   #13
nrdstrm

Default Re: Wireless Router and PS3

Do you guys with N routers generally find it gives out better signal? I just signed up for Netflix due to the no disc/1080p/5.1 update. My router is an Actiontech (which I have to use because Fios requires it as it allows for a coax connection to provide on demand for my Fios TV.) I will have to piggyback an N router to it via LAN (which I am willing to do if it increases signal even on the PS3's wireless G). If not, then I have to buy 2 and use one as an access point which will then connect to the PS3 via LAN cable to get true wireless N.

A bit off topic, but do you also find the range is really alot better than wireless G? I'd love to be able to use my laptop to watch slingbox outside (currently, the signal is pretty week and I get some glitching)..

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 01:23 PM   #14
Lyme

The PS3 doesn't support the N standard only b & g, that being said it would be silly to buy a wireless router that doesn't have N these days.

Also the stock firmware on the dir-825b is one of the worst stinkin piles of shi ttt around. Open-wrt backfire 10.03.1 rc3 works wonderfully.

That being said, I have my ps3 wired.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 01:36 PM   #15
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm View Post
Do you guys with N routers generally find it gives out better signal? I just signed up for Netflix due to the no disc/1080p/5.1 update. My router is an Actiontech (which I have to use because Fios requires it as it allows for a coax connection to provide on demand for my Fios TV.) I will have to piggyback an N router to it via LAN (which I am willing to do if it increases signal even on the PS3's wireless G). If not, then I have to buy 2 and use one as an access point which will then connect to the PS3 via LAN cable to get true wireless N.

A bit off topic, but do you also find the range is really alot better than wireless G? I'd love to be able to use my laptop to watch slingbox outside (currently, the signal is pretty week and I get some glitching)..
Yes, the signal strength is a lot more consistent across all platforms and the range is definitely augmented, but it's not going to be a night and day difference in max range. Simply stronger signal across the range if you will.

If you are looking to get solid signals over a long distance in your home, I highly recommend POE. I have my N router in a different room but I have one port dedicated to my POE and it terminates in my living room. That POE exits to a G router with 4 ports and allows me to maintain almost solid wifi connectivity across my place while allowing me to also provide solid connectivity to my Home Theater devices (my PS3 is wifi, haven't bothered plugging it in).
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 12:03 PM   #16
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
The PS3 doesn't support the N standard only b & g, that being said it would be silly to buy a wireless router that doesn't have N these days.

Also the stock firmware on the dir-825b is one of the worst stinkin piles of shi ttt around. Open-wrt backfire 10.03.1 rc3 works wonderfully.

That being said, I have my ps3 wired.
I realize it doesn't support N, hence buying a second router (AP) which will then plug into the PS3 GigE port.

Thanks for the suggestions Sazar, I'll probably end up doing that eventually. Turns out my worries where for not though. Netflix streams fine and looks great on my 42"...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 11:14 PM   #17
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm View Post
I realize it doesn't support N, hence buying a second router (AP) which will then plug into the PS3 GigE port.

Thanks for the suggestions Sazar, I'll probably end up doing that eventually. Turns out my worries where for not though. Netflix streams fine and looks great on my 42"...
Many wireless routers support both N and GigE, like the dir-825 b (don't use the stock firmware).
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 11:21 PM   #18
ATi
RooR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
Linksys
that
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium